NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Nick C

Default 1988 Topps Tom Glavine Rookie Bulk Lot Find

Hey guys,
I recently bought a relatively large vintage collection and as I was sorting through I came across a smaller box of about 350 1988 Topps Tom Glavine Rookie Cards all in EX-NMT (More Toward NMT), many in my opinion could get a PSA 10.

Do you think I should sell them or wait until he is inducted into the HOF. I think right now I could probably get rid of them at around $0.50 a piece.

Let me know what you guys think.

-Nick
Old 12-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Rich Klein

Default If you can sell them at 50 cents each right now

It's a slam dunk to do so. 1988 Topps is not ever going to have massive price increases and thus take your money and run. The HOF annoucement will have slim to none impact on any of the 1988 base card prices.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Nick C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
It's a slam dunk to do so. 1988 Topps is not ever going to have massive price increases and thus take your money and run. The HOF annoucement will have slim to none impact on any of the 1988 base card prices.
Yea, that is what I figured. I think when Glavine gets into the HOF card value could possibly go up to about $0.75-$1.00 but it is hard to tell. With a bulk lot like this it is quite easy to sell to the right collector at $0.50 a piece right now.

I think either way Im winning if I keep or sell this Glavine RC lot because I only paid $40 for the box of them.

-Nick
Old 12-23-2013, 06:03 AM

A quick check of ebay shows 9's and 10's not selling real well for $7 and up.

So, I don't think wasting grading fees on them is the way to go.

Non graded are also not selling at $3 and up....

So I'd move the bulk lot if you can.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:21 AM

Default Glavine rookie

Wasn't there a "glossy" version of this card that might be worth more?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Nick C

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
A quick check of ebay shows 9's and 10's not selling real well for $7 and up.

So, I don't think wasting grading fees on them is the way to go.

Non graded are also not selling at $3 and up....

So I'd move the bulk lot if you can.

Yea, here is what Im going off of. Recent ebay sale of 400 sold for $0.50 each. Im not in a hurry to sell them but I knew $40 was well worth it for the lot I picked up. PSA 10 Glavine's are harder to come by and usually draw like $17-$25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-of-400-1...item2ecca01bba
Old 12-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Ben North

I would sell them to the first person that will buy them. They made enough of that card to sink a boat and usually right around induction time there is a small increase in sales that stops as quick as it starts. There is a nice post on ebay's forum about this subject.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocentral View Post
Yea, here is what Im going off of. Recent ebay sale of 400 sold for $0.50 each. Im not in a hurry to sell them but I knew $40 was well worth it for the lot I picked up. PSA 10 Glavine's are harder to come by and usually draw like $17-$25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-of-400-1...item2ecca01bba
I agree it was probably worth buying the lot at the price you got it for. However, any purchase in the junk era is rolling the dice because of massive oversupply. Will the same buyers above show up for another 400-count lot at .50 cents a card, or are you looking at 20 cents a card like here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150-1988-TOP...item58a8476904

Even at that price, you still double your money though. I would try a BIN and see how it goes. Another consideration is that you say EXMT for some cards. Any card less than NMMT to MINT will be considered essentially worthless in this year and should be discarded from the lot, because there are 80 million Glavine RCs that are still MINT to this day.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Nick C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGT View Post
I agree it was probably worth buying the lot at the price you got it for. However, any purchase in the junk era is rolling the dice because of massive oversupply. Will the same buyers above show up for another 400-count lot at .50 cents a card, or are you looking at 20 cents a card like here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150-1988-TOP...item58a8476904

Even at that price, you still double your money though. I would try a BIN and see how it goes. Another consideration is that you say EXMT for some cards. Any card less than NMMT to MINT will be considered essentially worthless in this year and should be discarded from the lot, because there are 80 million Glavine RCs that are still MINT to this day.
Yea, Im gonna try to unload them at a card show in about two weeks. I think at a show, I can easily get at least .40 each. If not I will trade the bulk lot for a nice vintage card.

-Nick
Old 12-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGT View Post
there are 80 million Glavine RCs that are still MINT to this day.
First, is there a consensus on what the circulation or production of these cards really was?

Second, great score on that size lot for just $40! +1 for the BIN/Best Offer on eBay
Old 12-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Nick C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew80 View Post
First, is there a consensus on what the circulation or production of these cards really was?

Second, great score on that size lot for just $40! +1 for the BIN/Best Offer on eBay
Wasn't through eBay. Bought it off a local card dealer. But, hopefully dealing them at the card show will pay off.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default dime box

These go in my dime box at shows. I usually end up blowing them out in a bulk lot at around a nickel each. I tried them in the quarter box for several shows and they don't sell.

In reality they are commons. There are probably several million of them out there and the price will never increase. If you can get 40 cents right now take the money and run.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Nick C

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
These go in my dime box at shows. I usually end up blowing them out in a bulk lot at around a nickel each. I tried them in the quarter box for several shows and they don't sell.

In reality they are commons. There are probably several million of them out there and the price will never increase. If you can get 40 cents right now take the money and run.

Rick
Yea, I think to the right buyer the lot will at least $0.30 because of the quantity. Sure the card is a common because all the 1988 Topps cards are commons but it is shorter printed than most cards. I have opened like 1988 Topps cases and usually only come out with 16-20 Glavine's.

-Nick