NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Default How I do TTM

Just thought I'd show a few pictures for new-to-TTM folks out there. I feel like there have been a few questions about how to do this, and I certainly didn't really know what to do when i started, so I hope this helps a few people.

This is for TTM ROMLB, but something similar (without the bubble mailers) could be done.

Necessary Parts:

Bundling it up

Good luck!

A few links that I've found helpful:

http://autographsupplies.com/
Cheapest place for ROMLBs that I've found

http://www.sportscardforum.com/forum.php
Good database of player's TTM addresses, % success tracker and a nice tool to track your own TTMs.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I know this is about bb. Has anyone on here tried a politician. I am even asking if anyone has tried the President. Conservatives need not respond.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 PM
qualitycards

That was well done, very helpful to the newbie.
In the day I would only send cards or HOF plaques & I always encl an SASE
Never even thought about a baseball
Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I know this is about bb. Has anyone on here tried a politician. I am even asking if anyone has tried the President. Conservatives need not respond.
I was going to but Bob Woodward said they were autopens.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Andy Garden

Nicely done, Christian.

I once got Gerald Ford on the baseball ttm. I requested he add 38th President and he obliged. Didn't hurt that I was a Michigan fan either.

Best,

Andy
Old 02-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Jeff

Default Ttm

I sent ttm as a kid in the early 70's and then really got re-engaged in about 1986. From about 1990 thru the 2005 season(s) I sent out close to 800 a year. I have literally amassed a collection of over 20,000 signed cards as well as hundreds of photos and PCs. I curtailed it when the current players all but stopped signing completely leaving the George Kells, Mickey Vernons and Bobby Doerrs of the world as the group of diminishing reliable returns. All great players but once you got a couple dozen it's time to stop.

It's a GREAT segment of the hobby and strongly supported by sites like sportscollector.net.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Last edited by HRBAKER; 02-28-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Wayne Walker

Nice post for us visual learners!

Has anyone ever tried a book? I don't know about using media mail for the return, and I wonder if it would prove too bulky and inconvenient for a signer.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Chris - this is super helpful. I have a friend who is contemplating mailing a HR ball off to be signed, and this makes the process brainless.

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Dan McCarthy

Quote:
Jimmy Carter is known to be really good through the mail
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Hope someone gets some use out of this. I remember when I was asking someone the best way to do this, I wanted to get Ryne Sandberg and I wanted to give myself the best chance of success. They wrote it out in prose form and it just wasn't as clear as I wanted it to be, so I didn't feel as confident as possible when I sent my ball to Ryno.

Anyhow, it's definitely not rocket surgery, but I hope the pics help someone.

Regards,
Christian
Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
Hope someone gets some use out of this. I remember when I was asking someone the best way to do this, I wanted to get Ryne Sandberg and I wanted to give myself the best chance of success. They wrote it out in prose form and it just wasn't as clear as I wanted it to be, so I didn't feel as confident as possible when I sent my ball to Ryno.

Anyhow, it's definitely not rocket surgery, but I hope the pics help someone.

Regards,
Christian
You did a great job!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Trying not to introduce politics in this. I am a independent, free thinking middle of the roader with views all over the spectrum, but not for discussion here. You can get either a free autopenned photo of the president or an un-autopenned photo by writing the White House Greetings Office. They are free as your taxes pay for them. No SASE required. All congressman and senators have autopens as do the SC Justices. There is a chance you would get a real one from a cong or sen, but that is small. Some of the SCJ's do answer though there is one, not sure which one (Sotamayor?), does not respond to autograph requests, even in person other than her book. If you are in D.C. you can go to the house office buildings - Rayburn, Cannon, Longwood which are southwest of the Capitol or to the senate office buildings - Russell, Dirksen or Hart which are northeast of the Capitol. They are open to the public. You can go to the appropriate office and at least get a free unsigned photo, business card and other items. It is especially good if you are from out of town and from their district. It is better if they are in session as there is a good chance you may see members walking the halls. I have seen a few around town, I work a few blocks north of the Capitol. Most of the SCJ's attend events at the Kennedy Center, though you never know who will be there.

Last edited by Michael B; 02-28-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectbaseball View Post
Jimmy Carter is known to be really good through the mail
Jimmy Carter and Rosalyn Carter will sign care of the Carter Presidential Library at Emory University in Druid Hills, Georgia. It is my understanding that they will sign any of their books, but only one per request. They still have autopens for use. The photos below are ones I took while a member of the press (college radio) at the dedication of the Kennedy Library next to my college in October, 1979. In the mid to late 1980's I attended a small lecture that Carter gave in Boston. I had an unsealed envelope with several photos I took inside along with a letter explaining that I took them. After the lecture Carter had to walk along the side wall to leave out the front door. I handed the envelope to one of the secret service agents with him. Showing him what was inside. I learned from a fellow collector who was a Mass State Trooper and who had a brother in the secret service that the best way to get something to an ex-President at an event is to show one of the agents the item and hand it to them. They will give it to the President. This is only for ex-Presidents at smaller events. I got the envelope back a few days later, mailed while he was still in Boston. The bonus is that he backdated the first photo to when he was President.

I have a friend in Atlanta who attended Emory. In the late 1990's I was in town and brought these photos along. He told me about them not signing regular items but said he would drop these off at their office. I included a letter explaining I took the photos while in college etc. etc. and that they were for me. It probably helped that the first one is drymounted for framing.
I received them back in less than a week now with Mrs. Carter's signature added. The Ted Kennedy and Caroline Kennedy signatures were both signed in person at the unveiling of the JFK statue outside of the State House in Boston.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carter-1.jpg (41.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg carter-2.jpg (74.4 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Michael B; 03-01-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:53 AM

cubsfan, what brand of pen do you use and what are the envelpoe sizes? just to be sure. thanks for the help.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Great writeup, the only thing I add is that I put the ball in a ziplock with a sticky note on the ball asking again. Otherwise, spot on to what I do.

Great thread!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by footlong View Post
cubsfan, what brand of pen do you use and what are the envelpoe sizes? just to be sure. thanks for the help.
Great question. The pens are regular old blue BIC ballpoint pens. They say "Round Stic" on them. I write my letter to the player in the same ballpoint that I send to them so that I know that it writes nicely the first time they use it.

The envelopes are 3M. The smalls are 6x9.5 and the bigs are 8.5x11.25. I like these "Smart Mailers" from 3M because the envelope is self-adhesive, which I feel is much easier for the recipient (i.e. they don't have to lick stuff).

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Mailer-...+bubble+mailer

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Mailer-...m+smart+mailer
Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
Great writeup, the only thing I add is that I put the ball in a ziplock with a sticky note on the ball asking again. Otherwise, spot on to what I do.

Great thread!
Isaac, thanks for the response. I have put items to multi-sign in bags before so the already-existing sig doesn't smudge...but I use a regular old non-zipping lunch bag. I think they mail better and are easier to stuff in the mailer (especially for some of the signers that have reached an advanced age).

Good idea to put a sticky note on the ball. I haven't gotten one back yet that wasn't signed in the sweet spot, but that would be annoying if I did