NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Default OLD CARDBOARD MAGAZINE

Posted By: dan mckee

Second copy??? I advertised and have NO copies. Son of a bees nest! I guess I am just a worthless POS. Leon, would you like a scan of my J&K Candy Wagner??

Old 10-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Post a pic of the J=K Wagner here .....must be very cool looking...(I think I might have seen it, or one of them, before)....later

Old 10-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

you're not a worthless POS.....just caught up in the USPS like me too. I wouldn't have mine either if it wasn't for my friend......

Old 10-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

Great 1st issue! Mine was in the mailbox today. Now that I'm done looking at all the PICS, I'll be reading it later tonight.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: three25hits

still waiting ...

Old 10-13-2004, 02:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Dan,

Like many others, I'm still waiting for my issue to arrive. I'm just not sure why we all need to post about it. Perhaps I'm underestimating the value of commiseration.

I would think directly e-mailing Lyman or Brett would be more productive if one is looking for an answer as to why some of us will only be receiving the 1st issue slightly early or right on schedule, while others received it very early.

Imagine if we did this for VCBC. We'd have our 1st 300 post thread with nothing but "Captain's log: October 12th. Still no VCBC. Thirst for vintage card articles almost too much to bear. Can't...hold...on...much...longer; Must...read...back...issues."

Regarding the Cuban type lot, I got your address from Greg a few days ago and have put a group together including descriptions of each issue as well as notes on their relative scarcity.

Drop me an e-mail once you receive the package.

Thanks,

-Ryan

P.S. It's now been two more minutes since I typed above that I hadn't yet received my magazine...and I STILL haven't received it.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Hi Ryan, you are correct. Lyman and Brett are super people and the product will be better than imagined. I just posted here because this was a subject I could talk about out, I ain't too swift. Tell Greg I said hello and yes, w/o you labeling those cuban cards, I would be completely lost! Take Care Dan

Old 10-13-2004, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I just ordered mine last Tuesday, and received the first issue yesterday. VERY nicely done, and yes Dan, I saw your ad--cannot believe you still have those George C. Millers on your want list, you hog. Trying to assemble a third set?

Old 10-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron

Ryan:

After reading your two posts on this subject, I think I've reached the conclusion that you are not at all interested in when people receive their OCM issue.

I know this may seem like a radical idea, but since you seemingly have no interest in this thread, my suggestion would be for you to ignore it (that would mean stop reading all the posts) and definitely stop positing in it (that would mean stop writing posts).

I think you will find that this course of action has the desired effect of not annoying you, while those who are interested in the thread will continue to post, read, and most importantly, enjoy.

Yours truly,
Aaron

Old 10-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: qualitycards

Rec'd my copy today out here in PA.
Looks to be a good read, look foward to reading it while watching a Playoff game tonight.

Old 10-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Aaron,

October 13th, 2004. 4:12 pm in Colorado. No magazine yet.

Thought you'd like to know.

-Ryan

Old 10-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Still waiting here in Columbus Ohio.

-Zach

Old 10-13-2004, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Aaron,

It's now 5:20 pm and still no magazine in Colorado. I'll keep you posted.

And by the way, the reason I posted for a second time earlier is because I was asked a direct question by Dan.

The title of this thread is "Old Cardboard Magazine" which is something I'm interested in and would like to read comments about.

I appreciate how much you enjoy reading about who does or doesn't have their magazine, but some of us on the board would like to be able to scan through various threads for useful or interesting information without have to sift through endless posts about ebay fraud, politics, or magazine status to find it.

-Ryan

Old 10-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

That's the day (approximately!) THE MAGAZINE IS DUE...

Old 10-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ErikV

"Captain's log: October 12th. Still no VCBC. Thirst for vintage card articles almost too much to bear. Can't...hold...on...much...longer; Must...read...back...issues."

For those who haven't received their first issue of Old Cardboard, don't worry, Captain Kirk hasn't either!

Dr. McCoy: "Damn It Jim, Do something!"

Mr. Spock: "Dr. McCoy, the Captain is facing a critial dilema. He doesn't need your emotional outbursts. You are acting irrational...and illogical."

Kirk: "Alright you two. Mr. Scott can you get us out of here with warp speed after we get Old Cardboard from the Klingons?"

Scotty: "Aye Captain."

Facing a hostile crew and possibly mutany, Kirk decides to bargain with the Klingons.

Kirk: "Commander Klingon. I'll trade you a T206 Ty Cobb for my issue of Old Cardboard."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5127920696&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Klingon: "Is this a trick?"

(Pause)

Klingons: "That's a fake Cobb! We want the T206 Wagner or the magazine stays!"

As a goodwill gesture, the Klingons send Kirk an intergalactic e-mail with the cover of Old Cardboard.

Kirk succumbs to the crews requests and trades his coveted Wagner. Within days Federation Mail arrives. Low and behold, the first issue had arrived!

Old 10-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Dear Ryan:

I think someone's being coy. Here you had me thinking you were not at all interested in when people receive their OCM issue, and what do I see?

You continue to read the posts AND wrote TWO more posts on the subject, with a promise for more!

Since you very clearly seem to enjoy this thread and updating us with bated breath on the delivery status of your issue, then I think I should extend you a welcome to the thread.

Please feel free to join in and participate as you see fit--seeing as we are all here seemingly for the fun of it and you sure seem to be having fun posting about when your issue will arrive.

Who knows? Maybe yours will be the next issue to arrive! (One can only hope!)

Yours truly,
Aaron

Old 10-13-2004, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Aaron,

6:04 pm and still no magazine.

I'll keep you posted.

Enjoy!

-Ryan

Old 10-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Dear Ryan:

Now, you're getting the hang of it!

BTW, in case you are interested in discussing OCM once you receive it (who knows, it could be in your mail box right now--I hope, I hope, I hope), you might enjoy discussing some of the articles and features contained in it. If so, you could follow this link and discuss to your heart's content!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=153652&messageid=1097675654&lp=1097675654

Yours forever,
Aaron

Old 10-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Aaron,

6:40 pm. No mag yet.

-Ryan

Old 10-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Dear Ryan:

Anything yet? (It's been 10 minutes so I thought I'd check in--you never know!)

Yours truly,
Aaron

Old 10-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Old 10-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

5:52 p.m. in Seattle and I just put a cup of coffee in the microwave. In approx one minute I will put milk in said coffee.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Now, Hankron, normally I'd love to read about how you and your coffee are faring, but as Ryan has correctly pointed out, this is an OCM thread and therefore we wouldn't want to waste anybody's time sifting through posts about how you take your coffee, when Ryan is much more interested in updating us about the delivery status of his issue.

I hate to come down so hard on you, but Ryan's time is very valuable (it takes alot of focus to check his mail slot and promptly report delivery status to the rest of us every 10 minutes!) and I would hate to inconvenience him or deter him from doing that which enjoys above all else!

--Aaron

Old 10-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert {Bigb13}

Weird they get it over seas in Holland and I can't get it in NY. Rob

Old 10-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Everyone, everyone! Listen up! I know he probably wouldn't want me telling you this (Ryan is very shy about his good deeds), but not only has Ryan been gracious enough to share the delivery status o his OCM with the thread, he's even been e-mailing me privately to keep me in more regular update!

I happened to check my e-mail and what do I find from Ryan? An unsolicited e-mail with the following complete text: "6:19 PM and still waiting"

And then, another e-mail: "6:23 PM and still nothing"

Now, some might say that's rather creepy, maybe even bordering on cyber-stalking from a deranged and pathetic individual who has lost all self-control and grasp on rational behavior.

Me? I just think Ryan is very excited about sharing the delivery status with the board, but he's a bit timid about posting so often in this thread.

To that, I say, Ryan, you can post as often as you like in this thread! No one will think you are ridiculously immature, psychologically imbalanced or intellectually overmatched against your fellow posters.

No judgments, Ryan. No judgments.

Yours truly,
Aaron

Old 10-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Aaron,

7:57 pm and no magazine.

Enjoy the tough guy routine behind your keyboard, coward. Feel free to call me at (303)530-5090 if you have anything to say. At least you can still enjoy the comfort of not having to say it to my face.

And just so you know, I could care less if you post on the board about me sending you e-mails and I think other board members are probably less interested than I am.

7:59 now and still no magazine.

-Ryan

Old 10-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Ryan, I called, you didn't answer. Are you going to email me back or are you mad at me since I beat up on your high school buddy. Dan.

Old 10-13-2004, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

storm storm storm
storm ryan storm
storm storm storm

Old 10-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Tom u dog! U didn't have to agree with me, everyone knows I am a POS.

Old 10-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Danny,

I just got back from dinner. If you're still up give me a call.

For Aaron: It's 10:42 pm and still no magazine. I'll keep you posted.

-Ryan

Old 10-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Unless your mail comes more than once a day Ryan,you shouldnt have to post more than once a day and that would be after your mailman has brought the mail.Just a little tip to save you trouble.It doesnt come by email,its regular mail.I wouldnt check again until sometime after noon colorado time,then let us know.

If you do get your mail in shifts you might have very nosey neighbors in which case i would report that problem to the post office or your local authority.Stealing mail is a federal offense,even if they are still putting it back later in the day it doesnt matter.Once someone has taken your mail from your mailbox without permission they can be arrested and severely punished[fines and imprisonment]

Install video cameras and try to get some sleep,or have your mail delivered to a PO Box if that makes you fell more comfortable

Old 10-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Haven't received mine, but I'm sitting here reading Ryan's...

Bill

Old 10-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Dear Ryan:

I must confess I am somewhat confused by your latest update. On the one hand, you seem as eager as ever to share with me the delivery status of your OCM issue: first by this thread, then by private e-mail, and now by telephone!

On the other hand, your post seems to be taking on something of a violent tone, as though you wish to cause me bodily harm.

I can only conclude that your weeks and days and hours and minutes of waiting for your issue of OCM have slowly pushed you to the brink of madness and the tension is starting to show.

Oh, publishers of OCM, can't you hear the pain in Ryan's voice?! Can't you hear the heartache and anguish you are causing by delaying deliver to your eager readers even by one more minute?!

Surely someone at Old Cardboard Magazine will hear the wails and cries of the masses and bring our new issue to our doorsteps for all of our sakes! I fear for Ryan, it may well be too late...

Your Truly,
Aaron

Old 10-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Maybe we can hold off for a few days and wait for the USPS to come through on their terminally slow service...

Old 10-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Bill did you see my post about stealing mail.Admitting it in a public forum is as good as a guilty plea.

Aaron,i think Bill is the main culprit towards Ryans problem.He even admits it.Im not sure but does being a forum owner give Bill rights that other people dont have.That might explain why i havent received my issue,i was initially thinking it was because i never subscribed but now i have my doubts.

Bill please give Ryan his issue back,havent you done enough harm

Old 10-14-2004, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

I've got an extra Pottery Barn.

Old 10-14-2004, 01:00 AM
Administrator

Aaron,

October 14th, 12:59 am. Still no magazine.

-Ryan

Old 10-14-2004, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Ryan,Bill has it,he admitted it,go to his house and get it.Then tell us when you have it.If you want,ill even go get it from Bill for you,hes not mean,just a little inconsiderate for making you suffer all this time.

Bill,i hope youre happy,Ryan use to be a useful member of this board but now hes obviously lost it

Old 10-14-2004, 02:16 AM
Administrator

Thanks a lot Bill!!!

Now look what you've done. 2:15 am and still no magazine. Please tell Aaron for me.

Soon I'll be chasing Bill down on my bicycle like the kid in "Better Off Dead" who says "I want my two dollars" only I'll be saying "I want my Old Cardboard...I want my Old Cardboard!"

-Ryan

Old 10-14-2004, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Just to keep everyone updated, I received another unsolicited e-mail from Ryan: "1:04 am and still no magazine." Still sounds like he's really suffering, but at least he is as diligent as ever.

You know John, now that I think about it, I did see a rather suspicious looking fellow sifting through our mail box the other day. I assumed he was just after coupon books and low interest credit card offers. Perhaps we have instead stumbled upon a sinister conspiracy.

I'm starting to think it's no coincidence that log-in's were required just as Old Cardboard magazine started to arrive. Maybe this was all Bill's diabolical attempt to triangulate our positions so he could snatch our new issues.

We're through the looking glass, people...

Old 10-14-2004, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

from a frustrated Red Sox fan! I believe that the entire Boston area is suffering from an unhealthy 90-year old collective subconscious - I think even Jung would agree.

Now Freud might say it's just ... bat envy?

Old 10-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RobertS

I received one copy about a week ago and a second copy two days ago...

So, Ryan, I'll trade you for that Hal Chase Boston Garters card...

Old 10-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Administrator

But seriously, the only thing I'm angry with you about is not contributing to the vintage photography forum - it's lonely in there!

Old 10-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Old 10-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Administrator

I doubt he would do that - he's been pretty tolerant of everything lately.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Aaron,

10:24 pm and still no magazine. Sorry to keep you in suspense for so long. I sent you and e-mail a few minutes ago to make sure you knew exactly what my status was.

Again, sorry about the delay. I know you must have been worried.

-Ryan

Old 10-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Dear Ryan:

You had me worried! Here I was thinking that you'd grown tired of humiliating yourself in a public meltdown worthy of fellow dealer Greg at BOTN. For those of you unaware (and judging by the sales results, alot of you are) Ryan runs a series of (rather unsuccessful) auctions for Cuban-based issues.

I had worried you might be afraid your behavior might be viewed as obsessive, psychologically-imbalanced, and irrational and might scare off potential new customers (and if anybody needs new customers, it's you!). I mean, no prospective customer wants to think if they have a disagreement with a dealer they will be inundated with spam and threats of physical violence. But here you are just as diligent as ever. Apparently the prospect of lost sales and making an a$$ of yourself pales in comparison to your primal need for your new issue of OCM!

BTW, don't sell yourself short! You sent me TWO e-mails, which I will copy in complete text for the benefit of the board: "October 14th, 10:13 pm and still no magazine" and "October 15th, 8:18 am and still no magazine".

Unfortunately, I've had to ask Bill to issue you a warning against spamming. Not that I don't enjoy your unsolicited e-mails, but I'm afraid other lurkers and posters reading your posts might not be so understanding toward what may be seen as obsessive behavior and might be discouraged from logging in and/or posting if they believe it will leave them vulnerable to spam and cyber-stalking.

However, I am of course, more than happy to communicate with you via this thread. And don't think I don't appreciate the round-the-clock vigil you are keeping toward your new issue of OCM! Some might have jobs, spouses, or children to distract them, but not you! Your-single minded focused ability to spend the last three days thinking about nothing but me and updating me of the delivery status of your OCM issue is truly admirable. There can be no doubt I have truly become the singular focus of your entire life, and for that I am flattered!

Unfortunately, I'm one of those working stiffs and don't have the same luxury as you to sit around the house all day in my bathrobe staring at the mailbox (when your not posting updates here that is) while pining away for my new issue of OCM.

Still, today is the day: October 15th. If I get home from work today and my new issue is not waiting for me, I am going to write a very stern letter to the editor. Perhaps if your issue does not arrive today, we can write the letter jointly (there's always strength in numbers!).

Yours truly,
Aaron

Old 10-15-2004, 11:14 AM
Administrator

This is a lot of fuss over a non-event. I'm waiting on mine, as well.

Bill

Old 10-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Administrator

it definitely is a non-event

Old 10-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Believe it or not, I actually agree. I just didn't want to hurt Ryan's feelings since it seems to mean so much to him.