NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 09-29-2020, 04:50 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
What am I missing? I just read eBay's return policy and (assuming you do not accept returns) it states that a buyer has 30 days from delivery to claim the item was not as described and return it, 30 days from the end of the delivery window to claim it was not received. How does that morph into four months? Is that on the assumption that the buyer used a credit card and initiated a charge-back?
Paypal gives the buyer 180 days to return an item, and that's a pretty long time. Some of these cards have already lost half their value in just a few weeks!
Old 09-29-2020, 05:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Paypal gives the buyer 180 days to return an item, and that's a pretty long time. Some of these cards have already lost half their value in just a few weeks!
If you follow the eBay platform requirements and you have proof of delivery then the eBay seller protection should apply.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-30-2020, 09:45 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
If you follow the eBay platform requirements and you have proof of delivery then the eBay seller protection should apply.
Not sure how this works with the new Managed Payments system however when sellers were taking payments directly from paypal they could in fact be on the hook up to 6 months from the date of purchase. I cannot see how this is any different now unless ebay is indemnifying sellers and only allowing for a 30 day window to buyers for returns.

My guess is that if a buyer uses paypal and decided 4 months after the date of purchase that they changed their mind, and they used a credit card and initiates a dispute, paypal is going to refund the buyer and ebay will take the money back from the seller. Not sure what paypal's policies are if the payment was funded from a bank account or from paypal funds. I doubt they offer that 180 day window.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:24 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

This all makes consigning to an auction house more attractive. Unfortunately, for a quick sale eBay is the only way to go. You just have to take the risks and hope for the best.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-30-2020, 10:33 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Not sure how this works with the new Managed Payments system however when sellers were taking payments directly from paypal they could in fact be on the hook up to 6 months from the date of purchase. I cannot see how this is any different now unless ebay is indemnifying sellers and only allowing for a 30 day window to buyers for returns.

My guess is that if a buyer uses paypal and decided 4 months after the date of purchase that they changed their mind, and they used a credit card and initiates a dispute, paypal is going to refund the buyer and ebay will take the money back from the seller. Not sure what paypal's policies are if the payment was funded from a bank account or from paypal funds. I doubt they offer that 180 day window.

Yeah, but I assume a chargeback isn't the same as a return. A chargeback that happens after a return window has closed, denotes a fraudulent charge. At that point the buyer is attempting to keep both the card AND the funds, which I assume is a criminal activity.

I am making some assumptions here, and not saying there aren't plenty of people willing to go that route, but are that many people willing to commit a financial crime in order to try and cut their losses?

Again, I'm making assumptions. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:51 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Yeah, but I assume a chargeback isn't the same as a return. A chargeback that happens after a return window has closed, denotes a fraudulent charge. At that point the buyer is attempting to keep both the card AND the funds, which I assume is a criminal activity.

I am making some assumptions here, and not saying there aren't plenty of people willing to go that route, but are that many people willing to commit a financial crime in order to try and cut their losses?

Again, I'm making assumptions. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
You can dispute a credit card charge for a number of reasons and each bank has their own rules and conditions and the reasons can be liberally interpreted. If someone changed their mind and wanted to return the item in the exact condition it is in, I think there is a manner in which they could do it. The longer the period of time that passes after the purchase, I am sure the more hurdles the buyer would have to jump through to have the bank side with them but the threat does exist. Pretty certain that AMEX offers 6 months and most banks that issue V/MC are as many as 4 months.

I have not read closely the recent terms/policies with paypal but as Exhibitman suggests, this hanging over a seller's head is enough to go with an auction house consignment rather than leaving one exposed selling on ebay.

The other option is to stay clear of selling cards that go up 5X in 2 weeks.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:05 PM
Chase

No idea how ebay's new managed payment system plays in this but here is how paypal addresses refunds:

You can request a refund of a completed payment by sending the seller an email. Ask the seller to go to the Transaction Details page for your transaction and click Issue a refund.

You can request a refund up to 180 days after you pay for your item. If you sent a payment, but it's still pending, you can cancel it on your Activity as long as you see the "Cancel" button next to it. If the payment isn't claimed within 30 days, it will be automatically refunded to you.

If your seller doesn’t agree to refund your money, you may be able to open a dispute in the Resolution Center if you didn’t receive your item, you received something that doesn’t match the seller’s description or your payment was not authorized.

If you purchased something and would like a refund because you haven't received it, or it's not as described, you can file a dispute in our Resolution Center to start the process of getting your money back.

You have 180 days from the transaction date to initiate a dispute.

If your eBay payment is complete, but you didn't receive your item, it's not as described or the auction got canceled, you'll need to file a dispute. You can do this in eBay's Resolution Center or the PayPal Resolution Center.

If you feel the transaction was unauthorized, please visit our Resolution Center to file an unauthorized transaction dispute.

There are 2 kinds of disputes you can file:

Item Not Received – You bought something, but didn’t receive it. (Wait at least 3 days from the transaction date to give your seller enough time to ship the item.)
Significantly Not as Described – You received an item, but it was significantly different from the seller’s original description. (You might have to pay return shipping costs, but may be eligible for Return Shipping on US. Activate Return Shipping on US before filing your dispute to qualify for the benefit.)

If you sent the payment using a debit or credit card, the refund will be sent to the card used. It may take up to 30 days for the card to be credited. If you sent your payment using a bank account and the payment is canceled, it will be refunded to your bank account.

***Bank funded transactions: for cases in which a refund is requested or processed shortly after a purchase is made, we will make an effort to cancel the transaction, so you are never charged. If we’re unable to cancel the transaction, then a refund will be processed. Your funds should be credited to your bank account within 7-10 business days.

In addition I think you can go around paypal by going directly to the bank issuing the credit card and open a dispute that way. If that is done however I believe you waive your rights to filing a dispute with paypal directly should it not work out.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:38 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Good afternoon, everybody! Are we ready to look at some more basketball cards today? How about the 61' Fleers? For those of you who aren't aware, the 61' Fleer set is regarded as the greatest vintage basketball set of all-time. It is loaded with stars, and most importantly, it has the rookies of Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West and Oscar Robertson. Let's begin!

1961 Fleer Oscar Robertson:

PSA 7 - August price peaked at $16,000 USD.
Now going for under $8,000 USD.

1961 Fleer Wilt Chamberlain:

PSA 7 - August price peaked at $24,999 USD.
Last one sold for $15,300 USD.

1961 Fleer Jerry West:

PSA 7 - August price peaked at $12,600 USD.
Last one sold for $8,500 USD.

I also want to point out that MOST of these cards were sold privately (Paypal direct). In other words, during the month of August, somebody could have sold TWO PSA 7 Oscar Robertson rookies for around $40,000 USD. And of course, money sent this way is sometimes done using the Family & Friends method. And you know what that means, right? NO RETURNS!

Bert shouldn't have listened too much to Gary Vee!