NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Default E98 price and the caramel bubble

Posted By: Wesley

SGC 10 Poor E98 Connie Mack sold for $415.00 ($477.25) in the Mile High auction last night. For some reason, I thought that amount of money could buy a VG copy.

I have a friend who has some caramel cards. My friend planned on keeping his caramel collection for a long time but notices very strong prices for these cards. For this friend, will there be a better time to sell his caramel collection than right now? Or are collectors going to keep holding onto them expecting them to keep soaring?

Old 05-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Everything goes in waves, but I think generally Caramel cards are going to keep going up. They were undeservedly ignored for a long time. But they are beautiful, colorful cards and the sets have high %s of HOFs. Given their rarity relative to the big tobacco sets, especially in mid to high grade, I think they are still relatively undervalued.
JimB

Old 05-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

wow, that seems like an insane price. I recently purchased (and subsequently had ups lose) an e98 Cy Young in good to vg condition for 495. It got lost by UPS on its way to be graded by SGC, but it was definitely original and unaltered.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Cy isn't sitting on the pot taking (leaving) a Good Morning America like Connie is . I expect prices to keep going up as more collectors turn from everyday common, new and old cards, to ones like these....regards

Old 05-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

The sad part is I was underbidder on this card and never dreamt I would be outbid but at about 1:30 am I was outbid.

Alan

Old 05-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

I sold an E98 Young last night as part of an E94 trade. I concur that prices are steadily climbing higher on the E98s. The problem is that the E98s are not circulating and being flipped. They are being purchased and remaining in collections. It used to be that you would see someone buy an E98 Evers, wait a few months, and see it reappear on ebay and selling for a profit. Not anymore, they are being sold and going off in to safes, pocket pages or safe deposit boxes. Next to E94s and E97s, they are the hottest cards around. I am also seeing a steady increase in price and demand in regional prewar cards like Obaks, Zeenuts and bakery issues...

Old 05-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Wesley.
This one is crazy.
I would think this card would have gone for about $100.
I guess now is the time to sell if you want to make a buck.
robert

Old 05-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Prices are going higher on everything. Anyone think $760 was crazy for that E107 that sold this week?

Old 05-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

I just paid $5k for an SGC 20 E92 Croft's Cocoa Cobb and $3k for an SGC 80 Cocoa Lobert and SGC 84 Cocoa Donovan! I think Jim stated above about the beauty of caramel cards (and scarcity as well). I believe he was right on the money - some of the most colorful backgrounds and nicest poses can be found on these caramel cards (all series)!

Personally, I don't see prices going down either. I know, if I list some caramels for sale on eBay and they do not sell, I simply stash them back in one of my safes (happy to keep them and most of the time glad they did not sell).

Old 05-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

In regard to the E107, I guess that wasn't that crazy of a price, if Scott is paying that much for Cocoa's. Wow, I guess I hadn't realized what the market currently was on the E92 Cocoa's.
-Rhett

Old 05-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

The Government prints money everyday, Caramels haven't been printed in 96 years. Anybody else have/find a graded Cocoa Cobb, and I will pay $5k again for another!

Plus, to justify spending $3k on two Cocoa commons, all one has to do is look at the SGC population report - NOTHING above a 70 has been graded! In fact, these two high grade Cocoas were incorrectly labeled as Croft's Candy cards - so they are under that issue in the population report. Plus, Lobert is a super tough card in all the E92 (and E90-1) sets - this is the ONLY Cocoa Lobert I have ever seen (although I am sure others exist...........somewhere). The most I have paid for a graded VG common from this set is $500 (and it was a horizontal I needed or I wouldn't have paid that price). So, the $3k for two commons is a little deceptive until one looks at the population report and grades given to Croft's Cocoa cards by SGC.

Old 05-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

There's a E92 Cocoa here. I have no idea whether the price is fair, but I have never even heard of E92 Cocoa until I saw you saying it here, then I saw this one:

http://nationalsportscards.com/view/card.asp?ID=522

No, that is not mine either. Just happen to see it when browsing tonight.

Old 05-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott

do all of you feel the 1914/15 crackerjacks are also feeling the price effects?
thanks,
scott

Old 05-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Some very good points. I recently walked into a second-hand store and found a 15-year-old book about baseball cards. The book was about 500 pages and listed many prewar issues with some color photos. But, the most interesting part was the limited price guide and investment rating. Caramels were all bundled as a bunch. Of course, only E90-1s and E-95s were pictured. Commons listed at $5-7, stars 5x, and HOFs at a whopping 8x. The investment rating was: poor

Wouldn't you love to contact that publisher now??

Old 05-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Daniels

oa)
Rhett, a simple rule I use when buying Caramel cards is..........May 26 2005, 8:13 PM

The Government prints money everyday, Caramels haven't been printed in 96 years. Anybody else have/find a graded Cocoa Cobb, and I will pay $5k again for another!

Plus, to justify spending $3k on two Cocoa commons, all one has to do is look at the SGC population report - NOTHING above a 70 has been graded! In fact, these two high grade Cocoas were incorrectly labeled as Croft's Candy cards - so they are under that issue in the population report. Plus, Lobert is a super tough card in all the E92 (and E90-1) sets - this is the ONLY Cocoa Lobert I have ever seen (although I am sure others exist...........somewhere). The most I have paid for a graded VG common from this set is $500 (and it was a horizontal I needed or I wouldn't have paid that price). So, the $3k for two commons is a little deceptive until one looks at the population report and grades given to Croft's Cocoa cards by SGC.

This message has been edited by e92croftscocoa on May 26, 2005 8:22 PM

Anonymous
(Login splendidsplinter)
Scott ElkinsMay 26 2005, 9:00 PM

There's a E92 Cocoa here. I have no idea whether the price is fair, but I have never even heard of E92 Cocoa until I saw you saying it here, then I saw this one:

http://nationalsportscards.com/view/card.asp?ID=522

No, that is not mine either. Just happen to see it when browsing tonight.