NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2023, 09:36 PM
Dale Walton
Dale Wal.ton

Default PSA Layoffs

If this has been discussed, I apologize. But, did folks see that some key staff members got laid off by PSA. Maybe not a surprise given other happenings with Fanatics, PWCC, etc.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

With all of the mergers and acquisitions, it's almost inevitable that people get laid off due to overlapping roles. I have seen it happen very recently at PSA with a person I have known over there for a while. I have no idea if it's anymore than that. Sometimes "right-sizing" is the correct thing to do when a company grows quickly that way.

and a PSA card that isn't really miscut for the series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t213.jpg (188.6 KB, 1159 views)
Old 06-04-2023, 08:38 AM

Leon, over the years I have posted a number of cards that used to be yours. I think this may be the first time you posted one that used to be mine! Great card, enjoy, and I agree it’s mislabeled as a miscut.

Regarding PSA, there are numerous reasons companies may lay off employees (indeed, “lay off “may just be a nice word for fire/terminate). Any speculation re this is nothing more than speculation
Old 06-04-2023, 09:31 AM
Chase

The article I read stated 11 people were let go. Now to those 11 people I am sure that was impactful but the company has over 1500 employees. They are still hiring to boot. Don't believe everything you hear/read.

Reminds me of the PWCC buy out. Virtually everyone has concluded that Fanatics bought them out because they were nearly insolvent. Where people got that info is beyond me. Maybe Sports Card Radio or Sports Card Investor on youtube? Doubt Fanatics would want or need to buy out an insolvent company. Yes it happens but other than PWCC contracting, as they should in a slowing market, there was nothing else out there that suggested insolvency or that they were struggling.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:16 PM
Joe

T.o.d.d T.o.b.I.a.s was one of those laid off. Todd is probably the leading collector of AFL material and Lance Alworth collector. I’m sure he’ll land on his feet but he was a great asset to the CU board as a moderator.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:26 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
The article I read stated 11 people were let go. Now to those 11 people I am sure that was impactful but the company has over 1500 employees. They are still hiring to boot. Don't believe everything you hear/read.

Reminds me of the PWCC buy out. Virtually everyone has concluded that Fanatics bought them out because they were nearly insolvent. Where people got that info is beyond me. Maybe Sports Card Radio or Sports Card Investor on youtube? Doubt Fanatics would want or need to buy out an insolvent company. Yes it happens but other than PWCC contracting, as they should in a slowing market, there was nothing else out there that suggested insolvency or that they were struggling.
Ya, I thought that was pretty funny. I kept reading people saying PWCC was insolvent and that Fanatics likely scooped them up for merely the cost of their debt. Lol. Zero chance that is true. They likely heard that from the SCR clown. PWCC was and is a very viable business. They may have been temporarily cash poor, but that is quite different from being insolvent. No way in hell Brent and Betsy are just walking away with empty pockets after everything that they've built and everything that has happened over the past few years. They've been looking to get acquired for a while now. They were either going down swinging or getting paid and walking away while flipping all their haters/eBay the double bird on their way out. They probably walked away with an 8-figure payday.

Last edited by Snowman; 06-05-2023 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:07 AM
Robert Williams

They also laid off D.a.v.i.d. Steinberger. He is the one that helped me the time PSA lost my order. I still believe an employee stole the package. But he was my customer service liason.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:58 AM

Default Employee Of PSA ? Or USPS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
They also laid off D.a.v.i.d. Steinberger. He is the one that helped me the time PSA lost my order. I still believe an employee stole the package. But he was my customer service liason.

.. If there are light-fingered employees of PSA they might not look twice at our forum/group wait-for-a-bargain subs ? Consider what access they have to some big-number cards, coins , stamps etc.etc. Klepto paradise. But the USPS has a history in the posts in here and the post-war side. What was the outcome in your case , if you're able to give some details ? Is there an old thread about it ? Thanks.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:05 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
.. If there are light-fingered employees of PSA they might not look twice at our forum/group wait-for-a-bargain subs ? Consider what access they have to some big-number cards, coins , stamps etc.etc. Klepto paradise. But the USPS has a history in the posts in here and the post-war side. What was the outcome in your case , if you're able to give some details ? Is there an old thread about it ? Thanks.

I'm sure you can search it here. It was a group sub that was done here.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:46 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Ya, I thought that was pretty funny. I kept reading people saying PWCC was insolvent and that Fanatics likely scooped them up for merely the cost of their debt. Lol. Zero chance that is true. They likely heard that from the SCR clown. PWCC was and is a very viable business. They may have been temporarily cash poor, but that is quite different from being insolvent. No way in hell Brent and Betsy are just walking away with empty pockets after everything that they've built and everything that has happened over the past few years. They've been looking to get acquired for a while now. They were either going down swinging or getting paid and walking away while flipping all their haters/eBay the double bird on their way out. They probably walked away with an 8-figure payday.
I agree with most of what you are saying, but not sure about this part

They probably walked away with an 8-figure payday

They def got a paycheck, but not sure about 8 figures.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:00 AM
Ben North

Layoffs, I guess that could explain why it seems like I am on year 3 of waiting on my last submission.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:26 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Layoffs, I guess that could explain why it seems like I am on year 3 of waiting on my last submission.
I highly suspect that their business model was far more profitable when they were under the wing (armpit) of Ebay. Their current auctions have been weak on vintage with fewer bidders. Fanatics helped save a deteriorating financial picture.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:38 PM
Scott Russell

It's 11 people guys, not 1/3 of employees like PWCC. It's literally under 1%
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-05-2023, 01:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I highly suspect that their business model was far more profitable when they were under the wing (armpit) of Ebay. Their current auctions have been weak on vintage with fewer bidders. Fanatics helped save a deteriorating financial picture.
Ben is talking about PSA, not PWCC.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:39 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

If a company with 1500+ employees terminates the employment of 11 seemingly random people while simultaneously posting 42 open jobs recs on their website (many of which are likely for multiple positions with the same job title), then those 11 people were fired. They were not "laid off".
Old 06-05-2023, 07:41 PM
Dale Walton
Dale Wal.ton

Is Steve Sloan still with PSA or another part of Collectors?
Old 06-05-2023, 08:01 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by taul166 View Post
Is Steve Sloan still with PSA or another part of Collectors?
I think this is the latest, although someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-card-ne...down-from-role

1963 Post complete panel
1964 Sports Heroes stickers
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 06-05-2023, 08:32 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
None of us have seen PWCC's books, but them selling into a down market suggests things weren't going well.

Also not a stretch to assume their lending program was in trouble - the assets backing the loans were off 25-90%, and the cost of capital had increased dramatically. Let's be real - this is a financial environment where banks have failed and are still in trouble - what are the odds their lending program was in good shape? That program going south could easily sink the ship. When business fail, they fail fast.

I also suspect the move off eBay hurt sales pretty dramatically, and they for sure lost significant share to Goldin.

Do agree the would have received a decent payday, their client base and technology has real value.

But there is no doubt in mind they sold for a fraction of what they would have exited for 12-18 months prior, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were buried in bad debt. Hard to believe that it wasn't a distressed asset when Fanatics acquired it.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:26 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
None of us have seen PWCC's books, but them selling into a down market suggests things weren't going well.

Also not a stretch to assume their lending program was in trouble - the assets backing the loans were off 25-90%, and the cost of capital had increased dramatically. Let's be real - this is a financial environment where banks have failed and are still in trouble - what are the odds their lending program was in good shape? That program going south could easily sink the ship. When business fail, they fail fast.

I also suspect the move off eBay hurt sales pretty dramatically, and they for sure lost significant share to Goldin.

Do agree the would have received a decent payday, their client base and technology has real value.

But there is no doubt in mind they sold for a fraction of what they would have exited for 12-18 months prior, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were buried in bad debt. Hard to believe that it wasn't a distressed asset when Fanatics acquired it.
+1 agree.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-06-2023, 02:01 AM

I wonder if PSA publicized the layoff by issuing a PSA?

Brian (and here is another Public Service Announcement...I'm so lame)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:37 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Ben is talking about PSA, not PWCC.
Peter, right you are, but I think my point about PWCC and Fanatics is valid.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:48 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I think this is the latest, although someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-card-ne...down-from-role
I was told by upper management that Steve is no longer with the company. This was about a month or two ago. I looked it up I was told this March 3.

Last edited by glynparson; 06-06-2023 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Are Jackie and Cosetta still there?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-06-2023 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:55 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Are Jackie and Cosetta still there?
To the best of my knowledge Yes. Thank god.

Last edited by glynparson; 06-06-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
To the best of my knowledge Yes. Thank god.
Those two have made PSA what it is more than anyone, from what I understand.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-06-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:23 AM
Robert Williams

PSA is losing a lot of market share to SGC.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:24 AM
Ben North

Quote:
LOL, now that is some funny stuff. I can't imagine SGC wanting more cards to grade with the way they have done business for a very long time.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:53 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Those two have made PSA what it is more than anyone, from what I understand.
Agree Jackie I know first had is great.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Evidence?

Old 06-06-2023, 12:24 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Disagree. If anything, I could see CSG becoming number 2 in terms of grading.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:52 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
I don't really see anyone close...SGC sadly has shown us their reach is limited
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daily_grading_summary_gemrate May.jpg (151.6 KB, 340 views)
Old 06-06-2023, 01:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
If the stats John posted are apples to apples, they already are.

Old 06-06-2023, 01:35 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
I can't. There cards barely scratch the surface compared to their counterparts.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:37 PM
Robert Williams

Take two graded cards. Pick say something like a 1956 Jackie Robinson. All graded a '4'. Try to see what each one brings value wise. Real talk. You'll find out real quick what cards in what holders you want.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:37 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I can't. There cards barely scratch the surface compared to their counterparts.
Statistically, it seems that they are in fact second right now already.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:42 PM
Robert Williams

CSG grades a lot because people love the $12 per card grading. $12 vs $18 is a huge gap. 50% more. Try to sell that CSG card though. You will get your feelings hurt real quick.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:10 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
CSG grades a lot because people love the $12 per card grading. $12 vs $18 is a huge gap. 50% more. Try to sell that CSG card though. You will get your feelings hurt real quick.
Bobby, it’s true CSG cards don’t sell for much compared to their counterparts. I agree with you however if we are talking about business-graded card volume CSG is grading and doing more business than SGC. The numbers don’t lie that’s why they are number two SGC is behind them, and both companies are miles behind PSA. Sgc will never get close to catching up because they have no registry or pop report. Psa owns the common card marker.

Two hobby terms across all sports/gaming and era are registry and pop.
Psa owns both. They will continue being number one into the foreseeable future.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:12 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
You can get a place to grade cards for even less, people seem to be betting that the $12 at CSG will generate more profit to them than $18 will at SGC. It seems to be the measurable case that CSG is moving up and SGC is not. Submissions seems to be a reasonable criteria to see who, at the moment, the market is leaning too. I’m not sure I see the case that SGC is going up, or stealing market share from PSA as you claimed. It appears to actually be CSG doing that, in measurable fact. Not that either is a short term threat to PSA’s dominance, their market share advantage is gigantic.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:30 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I wonder how many of CSG's submissions are at $12 a pop. I suspect that with some of their allies (i.e. PWCC, maybe some others), preferential pricing could be a lot lower in exchange for the volume and repeat business.

1963 Post complete panel
1964 Sports Heroes stickers
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 06-06-2023 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I like the CSG brand so far..... I hope they keep doing well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kimball.jpg (136.7 KB, 224 views)
Old 06-07-2023, 08:04 AM
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Bobby, it’s true CSG cards don’t sell for much compared to their counterparts. I agree with you however if we are talking about business-graded card volume CSG is grading and doing more business than SGC. The numbers don’t lie that’s why they are number two SGC is behind them, and both companies are miles behind PSA. Sgc will never get close to catching up because they have no registry or pop report. Psa owns the common card marker.

Two hobby terms across all sports/gaming and era are registry and pop.
Psa owns both. They will continue being number one into the foreseeable future.
This data only shows information for a week, if you look at the month of May SGC has about 20K more graded cards than CSG.

I believe the numbers for May were

PSA over a million cards graded
SGC 88K graded cards
CSG 66K graded cards
1926 Star Player Candy Chick Hafey
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
Travis Jackson 1925 W461 Exhibits or 1923 V89 William Paterson
Old 06-07-2023, 09:51 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Detroit Collector View Post
This data only shows information for a week, if you look at the month of May SGC has about 20K more graded cards than CSG.

I believe the numbers for May were

PSA over a million cards graded
SGC 88K graded cards
CSG 66K graded cards
Ok cool
Old 06-07-2023, 10:53 AM

Default The data on grading volumes is a little misleading

I had never seen the volume data from gemrate.com before so I did a little digging. About half that PSA volume is Pokémon and other TCG cards. If you break down May 2023, PSA graded 465k sports cards, 4.3% were pre 1950, so they graded about 20k “vintage” sports cards. SGC graded 71k sports cards of which 13.5% were pre-1950, so they graded just under 10k “vintage” sports cards. This is probably a better indication of SGC’s share in its core market. Their share undoubtedly declines in the post-war era due to PSA’s registry. Beckett and CSG aren’t really viable competitors in the vintage market.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:58 AM

Funny, I was jokingly going to ask how much of last month's zillion PSA-slabbed cards were of the Pokemanian persuasion.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 06-07-2023 at 10:59 AM.