NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-02-2019, 03:36 PM
PWCC Marketplace

Default PWCC Statement on Recent Card Trimming Concerns

We are obviously very aware of the issues surrounding the cards submitted to us by Gary Moser. First, we want to apologize to all those who have been affected by the purchasing of trimmed or altered cards. We are not disappearing or burying our heads in the sand about this. Next, we are presently working with both PSA and law enforcement to ensure that all affected cards are brought to light and this information makes its way to our customers. We understand that we are responsible for our part in this mess and will do all that we can to make it right in connection with Moser-submitted cards as well as other submitters who may have altered cards of which we auctioned. We understand how difficult it is to be patient through this process but we are working through this as quickly as we can at the direction of counsel and the appropriate authorities. Finally, in response to these recent findings, we are no longer selling any Moser-submitted cards.

We are very sorry for the trouble that has occurred and will work to regain your trust.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:39 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Well that’s a start.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Rhetorical question, but why have you been selling them for at least a decade?

Relatedly, I guess you lied two years ago when you told me and Leon that Gary had pretty much retired. According to what you told us, he only "graded" a card "once in a while." Ha.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-02-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default and another question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Huigens View Post
We are obviously very aware of the issues surrounding the cards submitted to us by Gary Moser. First, we want to apologize to all those who have been affected by the purchasing of trimmed or altered cards. We are not disappearing or burying our heads in the sand about this. Next, we are presently working with both PSA and law enforcement to ensure that all affected cards are brought to light and this information makes its way to our customers. We understand that we are responsible for our part in this mess and will do all that we can to make it right in connection with Moser-submitted cards as well as other submitters who may have altered cards of which we auctioned. We understand how difficult it is to be patient through this process but we are working through this as quickly as we can at the direction of counsel and the appropriate authorities. Finally, in response to these recent findings, we are no longer selling any Moser-submitted cards.

We are very sorry for the trouble that has occurred and will work to regain your trust.
Have all Moser related cards been removed from the current ongoing auction?
Old 06-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
Have all Moser related cards been removed from the current ongoing auction?
Do you believe anything this man says at this point?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

nope

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-02-2019, 03:52 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Next, we are presently working with both PSA and law enforcement.
I think this line alone makes it pretty clear how quickly this is all moving.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:52 PM
Chuck Tapia

Ouch. You said you would do this 3 weeks ago but then the scam continues. Why is that? You have a long history of blowing smoke up peoples a***

While I appreciate what you are trying to do, I gave you a pass 3 weeks ago. Then you let it continue until your are pretty much forced to just today?

Personally, I hope you get sued by PSA.

I will reserve the right to change my opinion of you but as for now, you are neck deep in quicksand my handsome friend and the play stands as called on the field. Good Luck Brent Mastro.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 06-02-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
I think this line alone makes it pretty clear how quickly this is all moving.
Sounds like they are getting ready to throw Moser under the bus and save their own asses.

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Old 06-02-2019, 04:00 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
We understand how difficult it is to be patient through this process but we are working through this as quickly as we can at the direction of counsel and the appropriate authorities.
Sounds like an attorney has been hired.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Sounds like they are getting ready to throw Moser under the bus and save their own asses.
And PSA. I was sort of wondering who would be sacrificed to keep them going. My money was on some poor new hire grader - yet another reason why I almost never bet on anything. (Of course, it's not over yet... )
Old 06-02-2019, 04:03 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Vault

Wondering how many people are thinking it might me a good idea to empty the “vault” about now...
Old 06-02-2019, 04:04 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Where’s the guy who was laying 4:1?
Old 06-02-2019, 04:07 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Do you know Gary Moser? - "Yes"
Do you accept consignments from Gary Moser? - "Yes"

Are there any Moser consigned cards in the current auction?
Did you submit cards to any TPGs on behalf of Gary Moser?
Did you accept bids from Gary Moser?
If so, did you ever cross check items Gary Moser won against items he consigned?
Did you buy cards on your account, and then resell them in your own auctions?
If so, was that disclosed in the auctions?

This is a good start, I reserve the right to ask additional follow ups depending on the answers.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:10 PM
Eric
Eric

Good start with those questions. Not sure we can handle the truth but I think we know what it is
Old 06-02-2019, 04:18 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

[QUOTE=Brent Huigens; We are not disappearing or burying our heads in the sand about this. Next, we are presently working with both PSA and law enforcement to ensure that all affected cards are brought to light...[/QUOTE]

1. “Presently Working with PSA”...
That is hardly new news. You’ve been “working” with them for a long time.

2. “Ensure all affected cards are brought to light”...
What a joke! It’s a tad late for that. The virus has spread way beyond PWCC’s control or any means that law enforcement can employ to contain them all. They are in circulation now, and there are hundreds (if not thousands) of bogus cards in PSA slabs that will never be fully accounted for.

Unless PSA goes down with you, these cards will continue to be sold and traded at a premium, to unknowing innocent victims. You let the cat out of the bag, and it is never coming back in.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:

How will you "ensure that all affected cards are brought to light"? Will you be releasing a list of ALL cards you have sold connected to Gary Moser, so that the present owners of these cards can determine if they have been altered?

Last edited by BengoughingForAwhile; 06-02-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:21 PM
Peirce Conboy

This entire situation looks incredibly dire.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:30 PM

What about the PSA 6.5, T206 Jennings AB 460 that is in your current auction. That used to sit in a PSA 4 case and they have confirmed on blowout that it has been altered (the mark under his armpit) and based on another thread it appears it is a Moser card; at least it was submitted by moser to PSA after it was altered.

Let’s Start by removing the cards in your current auction that are known to be altered and/or ”Mosered”
Old 06-02-2019, 04:35 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Cancel the entire auction, and sell your vaults to cover the losses.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:38 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
And PSA. I was sort of wondering who would be sacrificed to keep them going. My money was on some poor new hire grader - yet another reason why I almost never bet on anything. (Of course, it's not over yet... )
I don't know. It feels, to me, that they are partnering up with PSA as they work with law enforcement together. They will claim ignorance to the whole thing and blame Moser for doing all the fraud on his own. Like you, I almost never bet on anything though.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
What about the PSA 6.5, T206 Jennings AB 460 that is in your current auction. That used to sit in a PSA 4 case and they have confirmed on blowout that it has been altered (the mark under his armpit) and based on another thread it appears it is a Moser card; at least it was submitted by moser to PSA after it was altered.

Let’s Start by removing the cards in your current auction that are known to be altered and/or ”Mosered”
Let’s make a note of whether that card is indeed removed. If that auction is terminated, then maybe that’s a tiny first step in the right direction.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:46 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I don't know. It feels, to me, that they are partnering up with PSA as they work with law enforcement together.
I guess that's one theory...

They do not appear to have published their apology on the PSA website.

I haven't been able to find any posts from them in the Collectors Universe forum. That forum overall is much less active than here or Blowout, but I'm pretty sure they've posted there before. Maybe I'm just missing it, if someone can find it let me know and I'll revise this.

I don't see any PWCC banners anywhere on the PSA site. Pretty sure they used to be there.

I don't see any PWCC banners on the VCP site, or in the "Auction want list" section on the home page. Pretty sure they used to be there.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I don't see any PWCC banners on the VCP site, or in the "Auction want list" section on the home page. Pretty sure they used to be there.
I imagine eBay made them take down the banners this weekend. Apparently they couldn’t wait until July 4th weekend to do it.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:56 PM
David Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
i imagine ebay made them take down the banners this weekend. Apparently they couldn’t wait until july 4th weekend to do it.

:d:d:d
Old 06-02-2019, 05:01 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:

Too late
Old 06-02-2019, 05:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-02-2019, 05:14 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Like a kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar...

Of course you are sorry, you got caught. Own it...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2019, 05:36 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

It's funny reading this thread with the PWCC banner showing up at the top.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:42 PM
Cory

Default The list

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengoughingForAwhile View Post
How will you "ensure that all affected cards are brought to light"? Will you be releasing a list of ALL cards you have sold connected to Gary Moser, so that the present owners of these cards can determine if they have been altered?
I was told by Brent, that list is coming in the near future.

Cory Weiser
Old 06-02-2019, 05:48 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

"WE'RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER LIST!" CaptainSpaulding on BO says that he has another 16 submissions tied to this scandal.

Brent, how do you like my new PSA slogan: "IN ON IT OR IMPOTENT?"
Old 06-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJoss View Post

Cory Weiser
That's so sweet of him after polluting the hobby with altered cards for a decade and a half or however long it's been.

Why not just let bygones be bygones and we'll all get along, eh?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-02-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Quote:

I have a few questions for Mr. Huigens:

1) Which law enforcement agency was contacted? Did PWCC contact this agency?
2) When was it contacted or a case opened? Who's the name of the individual on the case?
3) Is there any proof of this?

My main concern is that PWCC didn't look over these cards and have questions before auction? What auction house doesn't inspect the items to a) make sure they're not stolen and b) not damaged or altered prior? An investigator who has some knowledge of the Hobby and auction houses and grading companies are going to have some questions that might be very difficult for PWCC to answer.

This also opens up legitimate concerns about the practices of PSA.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:58 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
My main concern is that PWCC didn't look over these cards and have questions before auction?
Brent states that he personally inspects EVERY CARD VALUED AT $250 OR OVER to consider them for his stickers.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Brent states that he personally inspects EVERY CARD VALUED AT $250 OR OVER to consider them for his stickers.
With due respect that's not the issue. He probably doesn't know enough about cards to spot Moser's artistry. The point is he knew very well what Moser does, and knowingly took his altered cards to sell. And maybe even submitted some for him. And maybe the partnership went even beyond that.

The flat out lie to me (and Leon) that Moser was essentially out of the business two or three years ago really infuriates me, in case you can't tell.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-02-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:08 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJoss View Post

Cory Weiser
I'm honestly asking, are you being sarcastic?

With everything else that has happened to this point, why would anyone believe the completeness of any list PWCC releases?

Without proper validation, which would require PWCC data, PSA data (possibly other TPGs) and eBay data, there's no way to have any confidence.

None of this even addresses whether this is isolated to this single individual, or if there are other people or elements involved.

There is zero trust right now, another "statement" or list isn't going to change that. They have not been forthcoming in the past, no one should expect them be now.

Said differently, it's always "short".
Old 06-02-2019, 06:10 PM
Peirce Conboy

Quote:

With everything else that has happened to this point, why would anyone believe the completeness of any list PWCC releases?

Without proper validation, which would require PWCC data, PSA data (possibly other TPGs) and eBay data, there's no way to have any confidence.

None of this even addresses whether this is isolated to this single individual, or if there are other people or elements involved.

There is zero trust right now, another "statement" or list isn't going to change that. They have not been forthcoming in the past, no one should expect them be now.

I'd bet my house that internet detectives will find cards missing from any list they provide unless its a giant .csv file of every card ever sold.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:11 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Brent has been fencing cards for up to 10 different revealed scammers. I would like to see all of those on the list too (PSA,BGS). I would like those companies to COMPLETELY DECERTIFY ALL THOSE NUMBERS.

You don't get what you don't ask for.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

David as you've likely seen, on the modern side there are similar threads on known trimmers and PWCC on BO.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Brent has been fencing cards for up to 10 different revealed scammers. I would like to see all of those on the list too (PSA,BGS). I would like those companies to COMPLETELY DECERTIFY ALL THOSE NUMBERS.

You don't get what you don't ask for.
You might blow up a few collections. Or more than a few.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:16 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
You might blow up a few collections. Or more than a few.
Collateral Damage; you think everyone will know at that point? All collectors will know.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Collateral Damage; you think everyone will know at that point? All collectors will know.
A lot of collectors are just in it for the money and ego though, at the high end of things. Not all of course.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

PSA has a very tough needle to thread, on the one hand the people who hate altered cards and are livid are going to demand major change; on the other hand people with major bucks tied up in collections may resist that change if it means taking away some of their high grade cards.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:22 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

They can turn them in now or see their value plummet in 6 months.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
They can turn them in now or see their value plummet in 6 months.
I think ultimately for many of these folks when push comes to shove the flip is going to trump the card.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:26 PM
Rob

Probably the most poetic post I've seen here. Bravo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Old 06-02-2019, 06:39 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Wow those guys on the PSA board are clueless. They've read about 3 total posts and not the 20+ threads on this scam and are defending PWCC... but when the place is moderated the way it's moderated, no surprise.
"They feed me dirt and keep me in the dark!"
Old 06-02-2019, 06:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Wow those guys on the PSA board are clueless. They've read about 3 total posts and not the 20+ threads on this scam and are defending PWCC... but when the place is moderated the way it's moderated, no surprise.
"They feed me dirt and keep me in the dark!"
Happens here all the time John. People intentionally don't inform themselves, then pontificate.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:46 PM
Joshua

I may be in the minority, but I hope Brent / PSA rebounds from this and criminal charges will be pressed on the card docs. People will be angry if this is the result because of the smoking gun from culpability, but I hope the hobby burns through this hot topic we are facing. punitive consequences will be defined and the maturity of our hobby’s use of tech/social media (thanks to our “super sleuths”) will act as a deterrent and make us stronger from this.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t disagree with the majority, but would be happy with realistic expectations.

Last edited by joshuanip; 06-02-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:46 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Default All depends......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think ultimately for many of these folks when push comes to shove the flip is going to trump the card.
Should the day come that substance triumphs over form and to hold value vintage high-grade cards will have to pass muster under a new kind of grading service that makes use of what technology can (in a cost-effective manner) reveal with regard to alterations, the flip might not triumph. I get it that such a scenario might be wishful thinking. However, I can see a path how it can come about -- a new grading service comes into being employing such technology while accompanied by a pronounced and well-run marketing campaign which exposes the significant likelihood that high-grade vintage cards with old flips are altered. Or maybe even SGC could bring it about it they ever get their act together and are willing to spend the bucks and engage the right marketing experts, while at the same time investing in such technology. This is not the hobby of yesteryear where cards sold for tens or hundreds of dollars, and thousand dollar cards were anomalies. We are now routinely in 5, 6 and 7 figure category, and it is about time our evaluation methods caught up.

How many posts have there been that the net54 community is only a very small subset of the collecting community, and that what is common knowledge on this Board is not generally known outside it. Well, change that reality and then there might (finally) be the real change so many of us are clamoring for.