NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Default Philadelphia Blue Jays

Posted By: Paul

Are there any Philadelphia Blue Jays pennants or other items that actually include the "Blue Jays" name? I know there are pennants showing a picture of a blue jay. But is there anything with the Blue Jay name?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

I have seen pocket schedules.

Scott

Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

To my knowledge, the Pennants all simply say "Phillies" or "Philadelphia" (and I have been watching these for almost 20 years!) I have NEVER seen the words "Blue Jays" depicted on a Phillies pennant.

The Blue Jay variations are rare, and I am only aware of 4 different ones. There is one currently posted on the Buy/Sell/Trade link (sorry for the self-promo) which is perhaps the 2nd most common of the four (not that ANY are common; none, of course turn up very often...)

I would be curious to see what some long-time Phillies collectors have to say, as I am not even aware that the Phillies officially changed their name to Blue Jays (just the logo?)

Good topic!

Old 06-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Paul,
The only item I have is a stadium pin 1 1/4 inch with the blue jays name on the bottom. Good luck on your search!

Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

What's the story behind the name change? I've always been curious about that, but never remember to actually do the research. "Blue Jays" seems like such a strange choice.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

The Phillies owner William Cox was betting on the Phillies and Bucky Harris ratted him out to Commissioner Landis. Landis investigated and found it to be true and Cox was the first non-player banned from baseball. The Phillies in an attempt to clean up their image made a half-hearted attempt at a name change, but never officially changed it. Their uniforms still had "Phillies" on them the entire time they were also called the "Blue Jays". The Phillies only used the name in 1943 and '44, but they did give the Blue Jays name to their minor league club in Schenectady (CanAm League)in 1946.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ErlandStevens

Philadelphia had reverted back to the Phillies by 1949, but their III League affiliate in Terre Haute still had a blue jay on its letterhead.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

I knew the Cox story (and, of course, Veeck's perhaps partially true story of trying to purchase the team). Come to think of it, I'm sure I've heard this before. Thanks for refreshing my memory Dan!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

We had this discussion on the card side not long ago...but I messed up the dates here...I think the Phillies only used the Blue Jays name for 1944 and 1945...at least those are the only two years they have a bird on their uniform sleeve.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Thank you all for your responses. That stadium pin is nice, and the schedule sounds interesting too. Now I know what to look for.

Paul

Old 06-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

The Phillies produced a bunch of stuff with the Blue Jays name on it. From 1944 to 1949 there were pennants produced for both the "Phillies" and the "Blue Jays." The blue jay logo was added to most of the paper products the Phillies used including office stationary, checks, passes, etc. The problem was the team had been around for nearly 60 years already and everybody in the media and fans still called them the Phillies. The team also did not change the uniform which was a problem in identity. The Phillies were the bottom and poor. They did not want to change the uniforms or anything that would cost them a lot of money so they added a patch for a few years but still had "Phillies" in giant red lettering.

Unfortunately I can not get to my items currently but I do own several programs from 1945 that have the Phillies and Blue Jays names and logos. I also own at least one pennant depicting a Blue Jay but saying Phillies. I have Blue Jay stationary. I also own at least two pins (including one similar to the one above) that say Blue Jays.

Ebay has Philadelphia Blue Jay stuff every few months...just gotta look for it.

Joshua