NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Default RIPPED OFF BY BRICOL SPORTS AUCTION

Posted By: CORY PETERSEN

I have never posted on this site, But I ma trying to get the word out about BRICOL SPORTS AUCTION IN FLORIDA. If any person has any bad dealings with this company please contact me at nolanryanseller34@yahoo.com. They owe me thousands of dallars in aution procedes for my consignments and have never payed me. They will not return phone calls or emails. If any of you have any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Cory nolanryanseller34@yahoo.com

Old 11-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve F

Their latest auction closed closed today. Where you talking about the previous one?

Old 11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Yes they owe me money from the last 3 auctions now. Yesterday there auction closed, but they still were not answering there phones.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Contact local authorities in their hometown and the Better Business Bureau.
=

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 11-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Brian Collard does not have the best reputation over on the game used forums.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Thanks Dan, How do I get into that forum??

Old 11-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Administrator

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/index.php

Old 11-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Here's a recent thread that doesn't speak well of how Bricol treats their consignors.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=19581&highlight=bricol

Old 11-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

I realize that I'll be in the minority here, but I will stick up for Bricol. I have consigned my lower-end items to them for about 5 years running now, and have never had a single major problem.

I would not utilize Bricol for high-end goods, but it has been a great way for me to clean out many lower-end pieces (with much less hassle and time-investment than on ebay). The consignment checks come about 35 days after the close of each auction, and have arrived like clockwork, dating back 5 years or so.

For the very few items I have NOT been paid on, the reasons are as follows...

* Item did not sell (in which case it was either returned to me, or put in the next auction with lower minimum bid amount)

* Bidder renegged (this seems to happen on almost 10% of their lots)

Bricol's client base is clearly a notch or two below the big guys, and it is irritating that you must find out about the reneggers after the fact. It is also rather tacky that they charge consignors for return postage, and for JSA authentication (most auctions just eat these costs).

But overall I have done quite well consigning with them, on items that Mastro, Lelands, REA, Heritage, etc. won't even consider listing.

Can you state the reasons Bricol is giving for not paying you? Brian can be a bit tough to get a hold of, but will eventually return emails. And Shannon (his assistant)is usually available, quite nice and helpful over the phone. I know they do get bashed quite a bit, but thought it fair to chime in with my mostly positive experiences.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

I have never talked to Brian. I have left over 35 messages and emailed him numerous times to no avail. Shannon only answers the phone on auction day. I finally got ahold of Shannon 65 days after the first auction that I consigned with them and she gave some story about them being out of town. I got a check 12 days later for 326.00. On auction sales of 1100.00. The auction invoice stated over 700.00 for authentication fees. These fees were never told to me prior to my consigning these items. I finally got ahold of Shannon yesterday, the day this most recent auction closed and she said that Brian would calll me today. Like I said before I have never heard from him. I hve never consigned to an auction house before, and this is my first experience. I guess I should have done alittle more research into BRICOL SPORTS. They now owe me 1200.00 for auction before tha last one, 400.00 for the last one and my 700.00 in the so called authentication fees. I am jsut trying to get story's from people that have been screwed from this guy, so I can contact the local authorities with more than just my story.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I would definitely contact local authorities and ask the lawyers on here for some advice on how to proceed. I believe if you sue them in small claims court, they will have to travel to your jurisdiction if the transaction or agreement took place in two different states. Again, check with the lawyers.
JimB

Old 11-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

It sounds like you must have consigned a lot of autographed and/or game-used items, and racked up a ton of authentication fees from Spence and/or Lampson. Bricol should have specified these costs to you, as their consignors are expected to pay these.

I also assume Bricol hit you for a 15% consignors commission (which also should have been explained to you, but is standard within the Industry). If you had a number of unsold lots and/or renegging bidders, that should have all been documented on the statement that accompanies every consignment check. I have received a statement for every auction they've run in the last 5 years, and each statement and resulting payment has been crystal clear.

Hard to believe they would be so clear/concise with some consignors and so sloppy with others. Bricol must have a cash-flow issue, as I know they are always scrambling for consignments. They have been around a long time, but may not survive much longer if their consignors are unhappy, and feel they've been reamed like you. Plus, there were TONS of unsold lots in their auction that closed last night... Bad economy, bad auction, or perhaps a little of both?

Old 11-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CORY

Mark, I have had 6 emails from people like myself that have not been payed. It looks like for whatever reason bricol pays some people, and does not pay others. My caution to you is not to consign any more items. I will be contacting the local authorities on monday with my story along with the other 6 people's.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I never bid in Bricol Sports Auctions but from looking at the website and reading some of the information it appears that he uses JSA for autograph authentication. If he has EVERYTHING authenticated it could cost a few dollars and judging by the realized prices I bet minimum bids (and prices realized) barely met the cost of the JSA LOAs. Yikes, what a lousy way to go. I think I would have found out what his consignment criteria was before I let them have anything. I would have found out ahead of time how much the authentication fees were going to be before consigning a lot of material. If the cost of authentication was going to be a lot of money then I would have considered not consigning and just keeping the material.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I have never had issues with Bricol. I have consigned a few low dollars items in the past and wasn't thrilled with the price, but their auctions usually doesn't command earth shattering material. Everyonce in a while I can pick up a few small, inexpensive items that I'm ultimately pleased with as far as the items are described and the speed of the shipping.

I have no qualms as far as JSA doing all their authenticating. This was a company that had many Frangipani certs in the beginning. I know nothing about game used stuff (no interest), but I haven't heard many good things about the authenticator that they use for their game used stuff. Sorry you are having issues. It must be frustrating because there is nothing more infuriating than being ignored in instances like this. Good luck.

DJ

Old 11-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: james

edited.. anonymous post...

Old 11-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamie

n/a

Old 11-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

All of the posters in this thread are going to need to put your first and last name, and good email address by your posts unless you are well known. The folks already posting will need to go back and do so or edit their posts to be non-accusational. A first name, last initial and good email address will suffice and then you can say what you want to. I appreciate it.. If there are any questions let me know. .. thanks

Old 11-15-2008, 05:12 AM
Administrator

I want to thank everyone for there help. cory

Old 11-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Sorry this is happening to you. Is this the guy that shills on HSN?

Steve

Old 11-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

It looks like there are many people that Bricol is playing these games with. I was emailed last night by a guy that has not been payed yet for the august auction, He gave me Brian and Shannon Collard home phone number. I called it and left a message for them, if any one wants this info please email nolanryanseller34@yahoo.com. Thanks cory

Old 11-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Administrator

I Just got off the phone with the attorney general of Florida.The lady I talked to was very informative as to the process I need to follow. Please if your having trouble with Bricol, go on to the attorney general of Florida's website and fill out the online complaint form so they can start an investigation into this company. If you have any questions feel free to email me at nolanryanseller34@yahoo.com. thanks cory

Old 11-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Jim Corey will have to travel to them. I had to go to California when I sued and CRUSHED PSA in small claims court.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Levy

Dan,

What did you sue PSA over?

Regards,
S

Old 11-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Hi Scott, there is a HUGE thread on here about it. I can't find it as I never have any luck with the search engine but I am sure you or one of the more savy Net54 members can find it. It was UGLY! I won and still lost $1800.00 in legal fees and travel.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Here you go Scott, a bit of history.

McKee, Magie, and PSA

Old 11-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Not to hijack the thread, but Dan, if you ever saw the card for sale would you recongnize it as yours?

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Administrator

I put a gigantic picture of the card in the thread for all to watch for. There is also a mark on it that I know of that is not easy to see. I personally think it was thrown out with the box. If PSA would have handled my problem immediately instead of the PATHETIC way they did. The box would have still been on the premesis and the card may have been recovered. Dan.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Administrator

ANYONE STILL WAITING ON THERE PAYMENT FROM BRICOL??

Old 11-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

TURN YOUR "CAPS LOCK" KEY OFF WHEN YOU TYPE. WE ALL APPRECIATE IT....NOTHING PERSONAL happy.gif

Old 11-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jdrum

a walk down Gizmo lane................

Old 11-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

THERE (they're) at it again!

Old 11-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Soorry about the caps, Mark what do you mean??

Old 11-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator

He was correcting your grammar Corey.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator

That, and (unsuccessfully) trying to be clever... anytime someone posts in all caps, the Gizmo reference surfaces.

Please keep us posted on this... I have an outstanding batch of Bricol consignments, of which I am now nervous about receiving compensation.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CORY

ANYONE STILL OWED MONEY BY BRICOL??

Old 01-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I am still owed lots of money from this crook. Myself and 4 others, so far are persuing legal action against Brian and his wife Shannon. If you are having troubles with BRICOL SPORTS please email at NOLANRYANSELLER34@YAHOO.COM. Thanks

Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Gee. Thanks for bumping this thread. I was getting tired of the PSA bashing ones.

Have fun in your "persuit"!

Old 01-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Administrator

I get paid like clockwork for my consignments to Bricol. They are very reliable, IMO.

I believe James Spence found many or all of the autograph consignments in question to be "not authentic". Bricol probably deducted the authentication fees from the amount due, and conceivably (if only a few items sold) this could equate to a negative balance due the consignor.

Check your statements and it should be crystal clear. Please disclose all of the facts in threads like this... to include exactly what you consigned to Bricol, how many items passed Spence's Authentication, how many failed, and how many items actually sold.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Administrator

That really sucks. Good luck on your pursuit.

So when you consign something to Bricol, you get charged for authentication...and even when it fails? An auction house like this passes on the costs of authenticating to the consignor? Would love to hear more about this and to have a negative amount.

Sounds absurd to me, especially since you then get the items back and you now owe money?

DJ

Old 01-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I consigned stuff to them back in the pre-Ebay days. They had a fixed fee commission schedule with a minimum that could eat the entirety of a lower end auction. I once got a dollar (net) for a lot I consigned; just getting the cards to them cost me more than that in postage. I'd have been better off throwing them away.

Actually, the accounting stories here were not that uncommon in the "old days" (pre-Ebay and pre-Internet auctions). It was typical for an auctioneer to charge for various aspects of the cataloguing effort, like photographing the items. That all changed for the better with the rise f Ebay and competition among auctioneers.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 01-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

I had purchased from Bricol out of 15 consecutive auctions. I frequently saw questionable autographs with Spence LOA's. I tried contacting Spence himself numerous times to have him look at items up for auction with his auction LOA's. He never returned a single call.
Back to Bricol themselves now. I have received many items from them that were deemed as non-authentic (or even pre-printed, lol) afterwards by either PSA or GAI. Up until about 3 auctions ago, Bricol was willing to take them back and apply the purchase amount as a credit toward their current auction. The last batch of items that Shannon had me return to them are still in their possession with me being out the money. That was from 3 auctions ago. The last time I was able to make contact with them (including on their last auction closing day) was almost 2 months ago. I think Shannon accidentally picked up the phone the last time since she told me she would call me right back and that was the last I heard from them. In addition to being out the money for the returned items, I now have a couple of non-authentic signed items and a fake Bazooka Mickey Mantle card that I have lost money on.
Unfortunately this just goes to show that Bricol has been moving a mixed bag of merchandise all along, and now seems to be cutting ties with both consigners and buyers alike. Also, is it possible that Spence was sending blank letterhead to Bricol for their letters? If not, then Bricol must have been switching items out after Spence verification since some of the signatures were so bad that no authenticator could ever have passed them.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: nolanryanseller34

edited due to anonymity...put your name and good contact info by your post and say what you want to, per the rules.....nothing personal (leon)

Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: cory

Rob, I have also tried to contact jsa on numerous ocasions, to inquire on there authentication process for Bricol. I had them say 4 psa dna hollogramed photos were no good. I have never recieved any response from them. Unfortuantly you will never recieve your money or credit from Bricol. I also got thru to Shannon on the last night of there last auction, as soon as i said my name she hung up on me and then when I tried to call back it was there voice mail. I have Shannon's cell number if you are interested in it, email me and I will send it to you.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I think that all people that buy autographs are under a caveat empter (I believe that is right). If you did not get it in person How do you really if it is authentic? It gets really old listening to buyers of autographs complain about the authenticity.

AS a buyer of an autograph you are taking much more risk than say buying a sports card and the needs to be responsible for his own actions in these matters.

Yes, It would be nice to think the seller and authenticator are honest but it comes sown to the bottom line, if YOU did not get it in person, how do you now it's real and to me that is part of the risk of buying autographs.

Lee

Old 01-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

The whole "if you don't get it in person, how do you know" is quite an old statement in itself. After all, pretty tough to get Lincoln nowadays, isn't it? The problem with autograph buyers is that for the most part, they are lazy and refuse to really educate themselves. Jim Cramer on 'Mad Money' says that you have to put in an hour per week on every stock you own in your portfolio (which should mean five-eight hours), but how many people actually do that? It comes down to many factors that smart collectors can recognize before making that decision where you have on your hands either something of worth, or something that has no value whatsover and I assure you that there are people out there who know what they are doing and some smart collectors.

Bob

Old 03-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cory Petersen

Just a quick update for everyone that has been following this story. I just got off the phone with Shannon Collard, and she assures me she just reconcilled her books and all 4 of my checks have been cashed. I have only recieved 2 checks from these people. Like I have said in earliuer posts, I have been inundated with emails from people with complaints and concerns about this auction house. You can go to www.pinellascounty.org/consumer/complaint.htm and do a search by buisness, and see the recent complaints about this auction house.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

She claims you cashed 4 checks and you say you have cashed two?

Tell her to fax you the four that she claims you cashed.

Front and back. That should clear up everything.

Steve

Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Well... speaking just for myself (as both a bidder and consignor) they have been good to me. Payments have always been in full, and made within 30 days. Furthermore, they have quite a few nice items closing tonight, which I have my eye on.

I am sorry to hear about all of your problems... I think that when autograph lots are submitted (and fail to pass JSA), it causes delays and short-pays. Hope you get reconciled in quick fashion from here, forward.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cory Petersen

Mark, I am glad you have had a positive experience with them. Before I consigned my items I had heard only good things about them. I will take some of the blame, I was very nieve in not asking the right questions, and I payed for it financially. I just want to get the word out, that they charge very high and unexplainable fees for there auction, and they don;t pay ALL there consigners. I will call her and ask for the copies of the checks. Thanks for the advice