NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Tyler

Default Post Card Find- Grandparents attic

I've slowly been sorting though a few large boxes of family keepsakes, including war militaria, old letters, and pictures. None of the boxes had been gone thru in 40-50 years or so, and had been boxed up in my grandmothers attic. Most of the stuff was from around the 1900-1920 time frame, with also some WWII era stuff. (Belonging to my grandfather.) I had hopes of finding some rare tobacco cards...but came up with nothing sports related in the card department. Just soap, coffee, and cologne cards advertising. (About 100 of them.) But, there were also about 100+ postcards, ranging in dates between 1900, all the way thru WWII. I pulled out, the only sports related postcards, as well as a newspaper clipping just to share. Any thoughts, opinions, comments are more than welcome. (As well, as overall thoughts opinions on exact time frame, or where they might be from.) Either way, I just wanted to share...

This first newspaper clipping is the only baseball related thing I found in the whole bundle. I'm not sure what its significance was, as my family was from Oklahoma. I assume the clipping is sometime between 1943 and 1949 as this was the date range of most of the post cards/letters found in the same vicinity of the clipping.....

This postcard, is from what I would guess around 1909-1912 timeframe. Football team, obviously. Other than that..no clue. Looks to be a high school, or college team???

These next few postcards are boys basketball related. I'm not sure of time frame, but there seems to be one dated 1922? These look pretty cool to me, as I have not seen older basketball post cards like these before. (But, I'm sure everyone here has.)

These listed below, are a womens basketball team. I actually believe them to be a few years older, than the boys basketball, by maybe 8-10 years? I would also love to know, what the white letters printed int he corners mean. (if anything)

Old 03-15-2016, 09:15 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Look at those backboards in the women's postcard. Couldn't even spare the lumber to make a solid backboard, every other slat is missing and the supports are simple tree posts.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:28 AM

Default Nice postcards

A nice lot of early "Real Photo" postcards! I would be happier with these than an equal number of T-206 commons.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:30 AM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Look at those backboards in the women's postcard. Couldn't even spare the lumber to make a solid backboard, every other slat is missing and the supports are simple tree posts.
Yes, those backboards are a trip. Look at the ball in the 2nd girls pic. It looks all sorts of oblong. Not sure how you can maintain your dribble.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:40 AM
Mike Dugan

I looked at those backboards and the surrounding area and it looks like something on the great plains. I wonder if they made the backboards that way so that the wind would not flatten them?
Old 03-15-2016, 09:42 AM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
I looked at those backboards and the surrounding area and it looks like something on the great plains. I wonder if they made the backboards that way so that the wind would not flatten them?
I asked my mother, and she thought that her grandfather was originally from Nebraska. So, that would definitely align with your "great plains" theory.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:18 AM

Default Farnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
I asked my mother, and she thought that her grandfather was originally from Nebraska. So, that would definitely align with your "great plains" theory.
One card is marked Farnum 22, so they could be from Farnum, Nebraska circa 1922.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:40 AM
Bob M

This postcard, is from what I would guess around 1909-1912 timeframe. Football team, obviously. Other than that..no clue. Looks to be a high school, or college team???

The football player standing a head taller than all of his teammates must have been an intimidating force on the grid iron back then.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Ken Wirt

Fantastic cards!!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

very, very cool.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmc View Post

The football player standing a head taller than all of his teammates must have been an intimidating force on the grid iron back then.

The tall guy was also a backboard builder. He gave the ladies a good deal ..........................50% off.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:45 PM
Bill

Yeah and the lady 3rd from left in the last women's basketball photo is a babe.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Archive

Quote:
Forget about the backboards.

Check out those hightops the ladies are wearing.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:02 PM
Joe

Quote:
Looking at the landscape, where did they even find the trees for the posts.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:10 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The most disturbing part of these photos is the way the girls are awkardly putting their hands(s) on the girls in front of them. You don't see those types of things on Instagram.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:38 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
The most disturbing part of these photos is the way the girls are awkardly putting their hands(s) on the girls in front of them. You don't see those types of things on Instagram.
Their victory dance was the "Bunny Hop", very avant-garde in the day.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 03-15-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:41 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
The tall guy was also a backboard builder. He gave the ladies a good deal ..........................50% off.
It was his first...and last job as a professional carpenter. His boss told him to leave a finger gap between the boards to allow the Nebraska wind to pass through. He did as he was told.......from tip to knuckle...
Old 03-16-2016, 05:13 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Awesome find - I love this kind of stuff!
Old 03-17-2016, 07:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Browns View Post
Yeah and the lady 3rd from left in the last women's basketball photo is a babe.
Actually there are a few that look to be babes. Great rppc's, clipping and history...!! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Leon; 03-17-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:53 AM
Tyler

Just wanted to share a few bits of information that I have discovered while researching some of my family history. (As it specifically relates to these postcards.)

I now know for certain, that these postcards are from Okemah, Oklahoma. The basketball photos are from between 1914 and 1919, and the Farnum mark in the lower corner, is the designation of the photographer that took the pic, and printed the post cards. That's where it gets somewhat more interesting as well. G.H. Farnum that took the pics, and produced the postcards in Okemah, Ok also has several postcards displayed in the Library of Congress. One of which is considered one of the most rare real photo/postcards ever taken. It is thought to be, the only known photo/postcard of a lynching of a female to ever be found. (Nelson Lynching of 1911.) A very infamous/controversial, very dark day in Oklahomas history.

Either way, I thought Id share, as more info come to light.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:05 PM

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

I think the wind through the slats theory mentioned above makes sense.