NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2019, 11:52 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Share something you don't see everyday and a story about it if there is one

In an effort to have a thread that is just positive and shows off some cards or card related items, I thought it would be fun to post something you have that is either rare or uncommon that some may have not seen and share a story of how you got it if there is one. So, I will start- Here is a M101-2 Sporting News supplement of Honus Wagner and Ty Cobb. Probably my all-time favorite baseball image. I posted a thread looking for one of these at least once if not 2 or 3 times over the years with no luck. I saw this on eBay from Greg Morris Cards and I bid on it and then it was pulled. I was super bummed. I contacted them through the board and said I was frustrated that it wasn't available. They said the description was wrong and they wanted to start the listing over so that the listing was accurate. Item relisted and I got it. It is a really cool piece. Not the best shape but when you don't see very many, you are just happy to own one! Hopefully a few more or a lot more will share stories and cards/ premiums/postcards/whatever

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-29-2019, 02:34 PM

Years ago there was this seller on eBay based in Canada who somehow acquired all of these original Horner photos that at one time had been part of either a giant team display or maybe just a huge all encompassing league display. All of them were cut into small little postcard sized pieces. At one time I had three of them, but now I'm left with only these two. I especially cherish the Beville, as this photo was taken in 1903 as a member of the inaugural Yankee team:

The same seller also had a complete run of Rube Walberg's final out baseballs. I was able to snag one froma game in 1926 against Cleveland. I went after balls from games against the Yankees for like three weeks in a row and couldn't come out with any of them. Still feel really lucky to have a piece of history like this coming up on 100 years old from a major league game:

Last edited by packs; 08-29-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The story: I liked, I bought. End of story. I believe the Ruth image is from the 1934 tour of Japan and shows him batting at the Miji Shrine Stadium in Tokyo.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-29-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:13 PM
Kevin

I think I’ve shared this before, but it is a 1920 St. Mary’s Industrial school fund raising brochure with an image of Ruth in his Red Sox uniform. The fundraising was to rebuild parts of the school that burned down.
In 1919, a fire on the St. Mary’s campus destroyed many of the original buildings that dated to Babe Ruth’s time there. Based on my understanding, Ruth invited the St Mary’s band to travel to games where he was playing and they passed out these flyers to raise money.

I picked this up as I didn’t know there was anything like this that existed.
As a kid I remember hearing about Ruth’s childhood and the story of his time at St. Mary’s fascinated me.

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachm...1&d=1547850524
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B9E4071C-517D-4DD4-BAE0-34C0BA48CAAE.jpeg (17.3 KB, 336 views)

Last edited by kevlar7; 08-29-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:22 PM
Kevin

Another image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A304DC6C-33F9-4464-9322-8ED2F13DE267.jpg (13.3 KB, 329 views)
Old 08-29-2019, 06:38 PM
Eric
Eric

Kevin-
Very cool piece. Thanks for sharing!