NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-28-2020, 11:51 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Record breaking PSA phone queue?

So this must be some kind of record.... I just tried to call PSA with a question (yeah, silly idea I know) and I actually got a robo-voice telling me that there are 134 calls ahead of me!

Like Ron Burgandy, I’m not even angry.... I’m just amazed.

Isn’t this a textbook business case for how a company’s own success can lead to its own demise? I would have to think the door is WIDE OPEN to a new, innovative TPG competitor

Have been reading a bit here about a new one - coming on line soon? (I hope)

“134 callers ahead of me!” Wow. Must be a record... or, maybe it’s just Monday at PSA
Old 12-28-2020, 12:02 PM
Steven Finley

Monday after a holiday. Any submitter with a question, concern, gripe, mechanical error, etc over the past week is calling today.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:04 PM
Larry P.

I guess they don't want phone calls.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:05 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Insane what PSA gets away with. Submit to SGC or BVG or the newest TPG when they're ready.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:13 PM

Default Wait time for gradings

From what I’ve been hearing, the turnaround time for standard card grading submissions are around 6-8 months
Old 12-28-2020, 12:30 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
So this must be some kind of record.... I just tried to call PSA with a question (yeah, silly idea I know) and I actually got a robo-voice telling me that there are 134 calls ahead of me!

Isn’t this a textbook business case for how a company’s own success can lead to its own demise? I would have to think the door is WIDE OPEN to a new, innovative TPG competitor

“134 callers ahead of me!” Wow. Must be a record... or, maybe it’s just Monday at PSA
Maybe they need more phones & operators. Cost probably would be reasonable for a company pulling in all that cash.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 12-28-2020, 12:41 PM
Fred

I have no clue on how things work with auction houses. Do the larger auction houses submit cards to PSA in an effort to maximize the the final hammer price? If so, does PSA have some type of agreement with the auction houses on turn-around time for submissions? It'd be difficult to auction off something that is not in their hands.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:54 PM
Daryl

Default Psa

They will never answer I called and they said i was in a que with 13 ahead of me stayed on the line for over a hour, hung up and called again same message 13 ahead of me. I did get a response when I emailed 2 days later. Good luck.

Daryl Fraley
Old 12-28-2020, 12:54 PM
Anson

I have plenty of frustration with PSA right now. But, they just raised prices and changed their process for taking a cut on higher end cards meeting a specific grade. They have an enormous backlog and people continue to throw their wallets at these guys. Why would they increase their overheads if they have all the demand they can handle (or can't)? They're clearly taking advantage of the situation and the consumer isn't budging or "voting" with their wallet.

SGC and BGS are also swamped with long waits for submissions. But PSA gets the most submissions and the highest returns for their holders. They're going to milk it for all they can.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:05 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I have no clue on how things work with auction houses. Do the larger auction houses submit cards to PSA in an effort to maximize the the final hammer price? If so, does PSA have some type of agreement with the auction houses on turn-around time for submissions? It'd be difficult to auction off something that is not in their hands.
We had to pull items in our last auction that were submitted Express and didn't make it back in time. Not entirely PSA's fault as USPS took two weeks getting them the items, but PSA did miss the turnaround significantly also. While I have someone I can call directly with questions/concerns, I have submissions that have been out for months as well so, at least at my level, I don't think we're getting any special treatment.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-28-2020, 02:31 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
We had to pull items in our last auction that were submitted Express and didn't make it back in time. Not entirely PSA's fault as USPS took two weeks getting them the items, but PSA did miss the turnaround significantly also. While I have someone I can call directly with questions/concerns, I have submissions that have been out for months as well so, at least at my level, I don't think we're getting any special treatment.
There are some Facebook forum guys that claim they get preferential treatment and turnaround time. I am sorry, I just don't see it.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:10 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
There are some Facebook forum guys that claim they get preferential treatment and turnaround time. I am sorry, I just don't see it.
In Canada we have one bulk submitter who pretty much owns the PSA sub market in this country because he gets preferential pricing and 1 month turnaround times. Its quite amazing
Old 12-28-2020, 06:38 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Unfortunately, the card market will remain scolding hot and third-party grading delays will continue to be an ongoing issue into the foreseeable future. Demand obviously drives the card and grading markets. Demand will remain strong.

This next stimulus round will inject more capital into newer collector’s hands. The ones that have steady/safe jobs will want to spend this newfound money and not save it. Everything is still shut down, so they will buy more cards and submit even more cards for grading. The cycle will continue.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:46 PM

Default My recent PSA call

I got the same message - - I too was like number 130 in the queue. Per their instructions I left my number for a call back within an estimated 1-2 days. That call never came.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:52 PM
James

I figured the Davy Jones T206 I sent back in late August would be back by now. Lesson learned.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:38 PM
J1m Fr@n.tzis

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
In Canada we have one bulk submitter who pretty much owns the PSA sub market in this country because he gets preferential pricing and 1 month turnaround times. Its quite amazing
Thats over now
Old 12-28-2020, 07:49 PM
Larry P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest206 View Post
I figured the Davy Jones T206 I sent back in late August would be back by now. Lesson learned.
Probably sitting in Davy Jones locker.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
I have plenty of frustration with PSA right now. But, they just raised prices and changed their process for taking a cut on higher end cards meeting a specific grade. They have an enormous backlog and people continue to throw their wallets at these guys. Why would they increase their overheads if they have all the demand they can handle (or can't)? They're clearly taking advantage of the situation and the consumer isn't budging or "voting" with their wallet.

SGC and BGS are also swamped with long waits for submissions. But PSA gets the most submissions and the highest returns for their holders. They're going to milk it for all they can.
Can you explain what you said about PSA taking a cut on higher end cards meeting a specific grade? This sounds like a conflict.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

PSA essentially has no competition, it can do whatever it wants without losing market share. Is Verizon really worried about losing your business when you can't reach a human being through their menu trees? Same thing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-28-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:44 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:

If a business has more demand than supply, isn’t it logical that they would raise prices and/or “increase overheads” as you say?
Old 12-28-2020, 09:19 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:

I feel honored as when I called, I had “69” in front of me. I left a message and they called me back 3 hours later.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:57 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
I feel honored as when I called, I had “69” in front of me. I left a message and they called me back 3 hours later.
What was your question, and did they answer it? What was their answer?
Old 12-29-2020, 06:11 AM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
What was your question, and did they answer it? What was their answer?
They did answer the questions. I had submitted 6 Koester Bread cards and they had misidentified them. Example was an Elmer Miller that at one time identified as an Elmer Miller Koester Bread (I have the flip), and They called Jesse Burkette a W575- and he does not exist in that set. Scary that researchers did not have a clue as to the Burkette card.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:01 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quick update as the original poster here... I am happy (and honestly impressed) that I did receive a call back last night, as promised by their phone queuing and call back system.

The young guy sounded pretty exhausted but he was super helpful, gave me the answer I needed (not what I wanted to hear, but that’s ok &#128521

I never expected to hear back... as a very rare TPG submitter, I asked how long I should expect in total for cards to be graded and returned. He basically said 9+ months at least

Yeah, not interested in that - much to my surprise, he refunded to my annual Silver membership fee.

Nice... if they ever get their service back to reasonable turn-around time, I might just return based on this experience yesterday.

Until then, I guess I’ll give Becket a spin.

Thought you’d like to hear how things turned out... happy new year, all!

Jeff
Old 12-29-2020, 07:35 AM
Michael C

Quote:
I asked how long I should expect in total for cards to be graded and returned. He basically said 9+ months at least
LOLOLOL Unreal.

'Maybe sometime in 2022' will be the next answer someone reports..... LOL
Old 12-29-2020, 08:14 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Until then, I guess I’ll give Becket a spin.
Beckett is over a year. Spin away.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:06 PM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawke View Post
Can you explain what you said about PSA taking a cut on higher end cards meeting a specific grade? This sounds like a conflict.
If your card grades at a certain level and it's currently commanding more than the stated amount per the level of service, PSA will hold your card hostage until you pay up. Given the recent spike in card values and the time it's taking for PSA to turnaround submissions, this is happening often. Part of me is annoyed that they are paying people to take the time to look up recent sales so they can get paid even more money. After all, it's not like they're backed up 8 months......er.....well yes, they are.

On a side note, if they're considering PWCC sales as a gauge of value at a specific grade, they're not doing a service to their average customer.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:22 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I will never throw another card in the mail to any of these companies again. 6-8 mos. turnaround. Give me a break.

If there is some card I need to get graded hell or high water I will wait till the next National, whenever that is, and pay for same day walk up service.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:57 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Part of me is annoyed that they are paying people to take the time to look up recent sales so they can get paid even more money.
Truth be told, this is probably more due to the integration of their Auction Priced Realized tool into their website. Software can now check your results without human interaction and inform the staff to upgrade your service level, rather than someone individually looking up each card.

I think the guy who submitted two EX-MT/offcentered 80/20 Montana rookies that got the "Mechanical Error"/typo GEM MINT 10 grades wasn't up-charged, as far as I can tell. But the flippers with Prizm Zion rookies are definitely getting hit with a lot of upgrade fees.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I will never throw another card in the mail to any of these companies again. 6-8 mos. turnaround. Give me a break.

If there is some card I need to get graded hell or high water I will wait till the next National, whenever that is, and pay for same day walk up service.
It's like a Yogi Berraism. Nobody sends in their cards any more, the wait is too long.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:35 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's like a Yogi Berraism. Nobody sends in their cards any more, the wait is too long.
that's great!!!!
Old 12-29-2020, 07:05 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

They are getting buried in modern refractors and prisms and even Yugioh cards. Prewar baseball is the least of the issue for these guys.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
They are getting buried in modern refractors and prisms and even Yugioh cards. Prewar baseball is the least of the issue for these guys.
Yep. The PSA 10 is all.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:14 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

A Zion or Luka 10 in the right set could change someone’s life. Pay for some young guy’s first home purchase. Crazy but true.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:41 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxb View Post
Probably sitting in Davy Jones locker.
God, I'm glad somebody still has a sense of humor. Leon, we need some cards!
Old 12-29-2020, 10:03 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Good one!
Old 12-30-2020, 01:12 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default Turnaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by facingthelake1188 View Post
From what I’ve been hearing, the turnaround time for standard card grading submissions are around 6-8 months
I can attest to that. SGC- submitted 10 cards in May when it was still 20 days and got them back in October.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:02 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

Quote:
They spend all day looking at shiny PSA 10 refractors then my 1950s ExMt card comes through the door and looks like a -1.5
311-407 PSA 6
Old 12-30-2020, 02:07 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post
They spend all day looking at shiny PSA 10 refractors then my 1950s ExMt card comes through the door and looks like a -1.5
Lord, I hope that isn't true. That is all I sub!
Old 01-02-2021, 04:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
God, I'm glad somebody still has a sense of humor. Leon, we need some cards!
We always got cards, John.

Per the topic.... One IT customer, whom I was very friendly with used to tell me, when I gave some excuse about not getting back to him, (rarely) that he could make me less busy.

N360 Little Rhody - miscut back