NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-16-2024, 09:25 AM

Default Are these PSA cert numbers old or new?

I'm wondering about the cert numbers that start with an 8.

I've seen some cert numbers that start with "80" or "81" that have the older flips with no hologram, while a couple others I've seen starting with "83" or "84" are in the lighthouse flips.

So are the cards that have cert numbers beginning with "8" old grades, some of which have been reholdered in the new slabs? Or are some portion of the 8 series newly graded cards?
Old 01-16-2024, 09:52 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I think the new ones in play now start with 82. I just received a sub back all start with 82. Not sure about the 80 and 81 numbers though if they were new subs they would have the right flip and case.
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:25 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

There are a mix of old and new cert numbers in the 80M numbering scheme. There will be in 90M as well.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:11 AM
J0hn Collin$

Guessing if in a lighthouse and the "tight spacing" with the grade ("VG-EX") they are new. They were in the high 7M range on new stuff I know late last year.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:51 PM

It seems like for a while there, the Collectors Universe 8-digit numbers weren't siloed by whichever branch (PSA, PCGS, etc). Now they definitely are, since maybe 8-10 years ago.

Always design a database for more function than you'll need, kids.
Old 02-24-2024, 04:02 PM

Is there any guide or other info on psa cert numbers here? Being that it seems vintage grading got super tough not too long ago it would be great to know whether I'm buying an older, easier to get a high grade vintage card vs a newer graded tougher to get card.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:00 PM
J@son Per1

Won’t be too long before they will have to add another digit to their number scheme.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Can Dan View Post
Is there any guide or other info on psa cert numbers here? Being that it seems vintage grading got super tough not too long ago it would be great to know whether I'm buying an older, easier to get a high grade vintage card vs a newer graded tougher to get card.
https://allvintagecards.com/history-of-psa-flips/

You've probably already seen the above, although it doesn't address the question of how to deal with the 8XXX cert numbers. I believe that the 4XXX suffer from similar uncertainty.