NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2015, 07:58 AM
Eric
Eric

Default E98 Authenticity question. help please

Working on this set and Matthewson is a tough one to find. Saw this on ebay and it is certainly overpriced, but wanted thoughts on 1)Authenticity 2)do you think it has been trimmed?
Any help appreciated. Thanks for looking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-E98-CHR...item4ae91cc0be
Old 04-27-2015, 08:40 AM
qu@n nguy3n

it's fine, nice card.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Bry@n

I am not an expert on this set, but to me the card looks real. It also looks trimmed, the left border isn't parallel with the right and it really isn't even straight. Probably not a huge deal on this one though as the card might have gotten and A anyway due to the paper loss and heavy crease if it broke the paper anywhere. Still a nice looking card.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Working on this set and Matthewson is a tough one to find. Saw this on ebay and it is certainly overpriced, but wanted thoughts on 1)Authenticity 2)do you think it has been trimmed?
Any help appreciated. Thanks for looking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-E98-CHR...item4ae91cc0be
It's real and might not be trimmed. I would vote "not trimmed" but maybe not able to be slabbed with a number because of that cut. The cut resembles a lot of caramel cards I have seen that I don't think were trimmed. That being said I would be more comfortable with it being factory cut if the other side wasn't so even.

Last edited by Leon; 04-27-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:20 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

It's good
Old 04-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Bry@n

Leon, to me your cards all look good because the edges are parallel. On this Matty I added a rectangle to the outside and it lines up well enough with the bottom and right side but the left side is way off and the top right also doesn't match.

I will qualify this by noting that I am still working on becoming better at detecting trimming so I am not saying that anyone else is wrong here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E98 matty.jpg (49.9 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Jobu; 04-27-2015 at 02:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Val Kehl

I would ask the seller if he guarantees that this card will qualify to receive a numerical grade from PSA or SGC. If he does guarantee this and the card then receives an "A" grade from PSA or SGC, I think you would be able to get a refund from eBay even if the seller balks at refunding you.
Val
Old 04-27-2015, 12:45 PM
Eric
Eric

Default advice

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I am not feeling so dumb about this as there are differing opinions here. Not sure what to do yet. Just haven't seen a lot of these. Maybe Leon will just sell me his...
Old 04-27-2015, 12:54 PM
qu@n nguy3n

you can talk about squares and rectangles all day but that's a perfectly normal e98 cut. trimming is an 80's invention for nrmt looking cards or the 20s-30s to fit into album pages. who would trim that beat up matty? card might not receive a # grade anyways if the top crease is heavy enough to separate the paper stock.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Bry@n

Talking about squares and rectangles all day sounds boring.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Bry@n

Not trying to be difficult here (as I said, I am working on learning about detecting trimming and don't know much about E98) but I don't see how you can have one side be that off. As I understand it, these cards were cut by something that punched rectangular holes out of the paper. If the paper was askew you get a diamond cut or miscut, but still a rectangle. How would a factory cut result in one side that isn't parallel like this (two sides if you count the top)?
Old 04-27-2015, 03:22 PM

They were cut with a single blade, the sheet first cut into strips and they separated top to bottom. skewed cuts occurred when the blades get dull and pull rather than cut, making the sheet to be slightly turned and cut crooked.

For the record I do not think the card is trimmed. This card was probably at the bottom of the strip and got pulled out of whack on the cut.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:35 PM
Bry@n

Thank you for the explanation, I appreciate it. Apparently I was waaaay off in thinking about how sheets were cut!

Sorry to hijack the thread with my attempts to learn more about the process and what to look for, but if anyone has slabbed E cards with numeric grades that have a cut like this where one side is really different I would like to see a few to build a better frame of reference in my head.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
They were cut with a single blade, the sheet first cut into strips and they separated top to bottom. skewed cuts occurred when the blades get dull and pull rather than cut, making the sheet to be slightly turned and cut crooked.

For the record I do not think the card is trimmed. This card was probably at the bottom of the strip and got pulled out of whack on the cut.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Eric
Eric

Default Jobu

Hey Jobu
You didn't hijack at all. This is a way for me and I hope others to learn about this. Thanks for the reply