NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Default Am I torturing myself?

I am getting married in June, and as a promise to my fiance, and to save money, I will not be purchasing any autographs till after the wedding. This unfortunately has not stopped me from checking ebay daily, as well as all the big auction houses. Is this healthy, do continue to "focus" on the hobby knowing you can't pick up something even if the price is great or its a "list" item.

I have been doing TTM a little (because its like 5 bucks per autograph) but I have little patience when it comes to waiting like that, but at least I get results.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
I am getting married in June, and as a promise to my fiance, and to save money, I will not be purchasing any autographs till after the wedding. This unfortunately has not stopped me from checking ebay daily, as well as all the big auction houses. Is this healthy, do continue to "focus" on the hobby knowing you can't pick up something even if the price is great or its a "list" item.

I have been doing TTM a little (because its like 5 bucks per autograph) but I have little patience when it comes to waiting like that, but at least I get results.

Would a 10 yr old with a sweet tooth do well in a candy store if he was trying to quit eating candy?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Are you asking if you're torturing yourself by not buying autographs or getting married in general?

I think you're doing the right thing by continuing to do TTM at least. You should be able to buy yourself a nice wedding gift in the form of an autograph.

Last edited by bender07; 01-10-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
Are you asking if you're torturing yourself by not buying autographs or getting married in general

I think you're doing the right thing by continuing to do TTM at least. You should be able to buy yourself a nice wedding gift in the form of an autograph.
Yea and I know exactly what it is.... can't wait
Old 01-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Banned

i continually follow the hobby and i haven't bought an autograph in 4 years because i can't afford it. i still love to look. it's not torture because unless you are in your 90's there will always be time.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM
qu@n nguy3n

ttm is a fun hobby onto itself. i have interest in all 4 sports so there's always a player that catches my interest. have sent letters off to canada, sweden etc and it's always fun when you get a folded up letter you know it's yours. of course there are some you really want to come back (hello brett hull) but they might never come.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Perry Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
ttm is a fun hobby onto itself. i have interest in all 4 sports so there's always a player that catches my interest. have sent letters off to canada, sweden etc and it's always fun when you get a folded up letter you know it's yours. of course there are some you really want to come back (hello brett hull) but they might never come.
Really? Brett is a willing ttm signer.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Isaac,

Congrats on the upcoming wedding...It's not torture to still just "look"...Heck, I still subscribe to Jim and Richard's upcoming sales emails....I would consider that torture in itself....LOOKING AT THINGS I MAY NEVER BE ABLE TO BUY!!!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 01-10-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Not sure why but it is a fact...on average married men live longer than their unmarried counterparts. Therefore, you will have more years left to buy autographs.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:

Just make sure if a rare one you never see comes along that is on your want list you find a way to get it while you can. A dear friend in the hobby once told me, "It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission." But don't abuse it!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

You can still "collect" information, even if you're not buying anything now, and that can help you to make a more informed purchase down the road when you do start buying again. It doesn't cost anything (except time) to build exemplar files of players you're interested in from scans posted online or to track prices for particular signers. And projects like your scouring and compiling of Hunt's monthly auction histories should help keep you busy until after the honeymoon as well.

Just because you can't spend money in the hobby doesn't mean you can't continue to learn, and taking a break to further build that knowledge base may actually be a plus in the long run.

And by the way, congratulations on the upcoming nuptials!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:17 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinvestments View Post
Really? Brett is a willing ttm signer.
yea i was banking on that. nothing yet tho, maybe i'll try again with hockey back.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
Not sure why but it is a fact...on average married men live longer than their unmarried counterparts. Therefore, you will have more years left to buy autographs.
That's because wives kill their husbands very slowly...kinda like putting a frog in a pot of cold water and then turning up the heat
Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Chris

Quote:

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! Mine is next year, so I'm in the same boat with you--no spending until those bills are paid (I am a card guy and have been able to pick up some inexpensive type cards without issue). My advice is to try your best to use this time wisely. Instead of checking eBay repeatedly for the handful of cards I really want, I've been reading up on everything possible on this site. I do feel a bit tortured when I see something I've searched for for years pop up and can't pull the trigger. That said, it was harder to find a good girl than it will ever be to find any of the cards on my list.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! Mine is next year, so I'm in the same boat with you--no spending until those bills are paid (I am a card guy and have been able to pick up some inexpensive type cards without issue). My advice is to try your best to use this time wisely. Instead of checking eBay repeatedly for the handful of cards I really want, I've been reading up on everything possible on this site. I do feel a bit tortured when I see something I've searched for for years pop up and can't pull the trigger. That said, it was harder to find a good girl than it will ever be to find any of the cards on my list.
Here here on that last sentence!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Isaac, I had so many things to say but since your getting married I will just say Best Wishes
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Isaac, I had so many things to say but since your getting married I will just say Best Wishes
thanks Shelly!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Here here on that last sentence!
Ahh, still in the Honeymoon phase, LOL.