NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-24-2021, 11:25 AM
Mikeknapp

Default Loaning to a Museum

I recently was contacted by the Roberto Clemente Museum. They inquired about purchasing some of the rarer items in my collection. Although I was honored I declined to sell. Instead I agreed to loan some of my original photos and memorabilia to them for their exhibit celebrating the 1971 Pirates and the upcoming 50th anniversary of Clemente’s 3000th hit. I am pleased to do so as much of just sits in a safe. This way others could enjoy them as well. I spoke with the owner and was impressed with his passion and vision.

I have never done anything like this and I know others here have had that experience. I’m looking for any advice or warnings about steps to take prior to delivering my toys to them.

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback!

Mike

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 05-24-2021, 11:30 AM

Never done it before but also wouldn't do it if it were me. A lot of museums don't report thefts. What I've heard is that if a museum reports a theft, it makes people less likely to donate or loan items to them. I'd make sure they had some policy in writing to protect your item.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:34 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I would have a contract with the specific items and their value drawn up. And in that contract would be a return date of the items as well as a detailed list and the current values. Also that they would be held responsible for any loss or theft to that stated value.

If you feel comfortable doing it, go for it. But cover your bases first.

Regards,
Old 07-17-2021, 06:39 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
I would have a contract with the specific items and their value drawn up. And in that contract would be a return date of the items as well as a detailed list and the current values. Also that they would be held responsible for any loss or theft to that stated value.

If you feel comfortable doing it, go for it. But cover your bases first.

Regards,
Agreed I would also want a copy of their insurance showing that your items are covered in the event of incident.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-18-2021, 02:40 PM
Mikeknapp

My week at the Clemente museum came to an end yesterday. While here I cataloged the game used bats of members of both the 1971 and 1960 Pirates. Yesterday I met Major League Baseball's #1 pick Henry Davis. Went to the game and sat in a luxury Suite. Watched the 1971 Pirates being honored in pre-game ceremonies. The Pirates win in the bottom of the 9th with a walk off grand slam. I ended the day by meeting Pete Alonso. It doesn't get much better than this for me. If someone told me this story I'd call them a liar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EB6DABB3-1A78-4C74-A5E4-2F9DDB1A9FAA.jpg (14.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg B78698D2-DEC7-40DC-A018-F58DC6644036.jpg (19.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 3B1E951D-EB6F-460D-AB5F-91F2F7B948B2.jpg (14.6 KB, 35 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

Last edited by 71buc; 07-18-2021 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:50 PM
qualitycards

Mike sounds like a great time!
Old 05-24-2021, 11:36 AM

I can not attest to that particular institution, unfortunately.

I've heard both positive and negative stories in regards to loaning items to other institutions.

A couple horror stories stem directly from players who donated to one particular hall of fame. Ned Garver lent a game used jersey which he treasured; the other player loaned some beautiful pre-war team signed photos. The hall of fame moved locations before disappearing altogether. Sadly, many years after the one player died, I recognized one of his custom team-signed pieces being offered for sale at auction. By that point, he was long deceased and there was nobody to contact about the issue. It really rubbed me the wrong way. I never heard if Ned managed to get his jersey back, but judging from what happened to the other player's material, it's doubtful.

Personally, I'd politely tell them to forget it. There's really nothing in it for you except risk. Tell the museum that they're welcome to come to you and take photos of whatever they wish. For the security of yourself and your collection, I'd request that they leave your name out of any display labels or publications (as in "From the MikeKnapp collection" or "Courtesy of 71Buc"). Some are more comfortable with attaching their name to such things than I would be. I prefer privacy. Enjoy your collection; you paid for it, so keep it close and keep it safe!

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 05-24-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:44 AM
Mikeknapp

Yikes! Thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:03 PM

Hi Mike,
How are things?
I loaned about 70 items to the Ryan Center (Nolan Ryan Museum) in Alvin Texas in 1998. When I was able to locate duplicates of some of the milestone tickets that were loaned, I made some of of them a permanent donation.
The loaned items were there for about 4-5 years.
The Ryan Center eventually closed down, but some of the more significant items from The Ryan Center are now on display at the Texas Sports HOF.

Butch, who just posted earlier on this thread game you EXACTLY the correct way to loan items to a museum. Contract and insurance that covers any damage or loss.

My experience was nothing but exceptional, but I have also heard of horror stories as well like the OP posts on this thread.

I was lucky that Nolan and Ruth Ryan are classy people.
They sent me two unexpected gifts when my loaned items were returned to me at the end. Additionally, Nolan signed a few unique items for me gratis.

Good collecting,
Scott

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-24-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:25 PM
Mikeknapp

Thanks Scott, you just validated everything I’ve heard about Ryan. My son is an attorney so I will have him write something up to cover me. The museum also said they have a written loan agreement as well. I don’t believe I would be comfortable loaning anything more than a year or two. I really appreciate and value everyone’s feedback.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:33 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Post a few pic's once the exhibit gets put together.

Cheers,
Old 05-24-2021, 12:42 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

I've never loaned sports memorabilia, and to be honest nothing in my collection is probably worthy of it. But I have loaned a handful of paintings to museums. Thesere were generally well-regarded institution and provided contracts (some little more than letters, but still binding) that indicated they would cover them on their insurance. The one time i was unsure of how the painting would be valued given the vast discrepancy between the price I paid for it and recent auction prices from the artist, the museum agreed to insure it for replacement value. It probably would have been better to specify a dollar figure, as that might have gotten sticky had it been lost, but there ended up being no such issue.

While I agree with some other posters that there is "nothing in it for you" financially, I respectfully disagree that there is nothing in it for you at all. The sense of contributing to a field you love and enjoy is priceless. If there were a greater interest in obscure but extremely rare Japanese baseball cards or run of the mill Cuban or Negro League type 1 photos, I would happily consider loaning them to a museum. I might miss them slightly, but it is not as if I pull each and every one from its folio and admire it each day.

If you are loaning the items for any significant period of time, it is probably worth agreeing (in writing, of course) to conditions under which you may demand their return and make sure such a clause is overwhelmingly in your favor. After all, they do belong to you...or, under certain conditions of reclamation, your estate.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2021, 12:51 PM
Mikeknapp

Thanks Frank!

Old 05-24-2021, 12:51 PM

Mike, your Pirates collection is great. That makes your house, or wherever you store it, much like a museum. I guess your items are just temporarily going to another museum. Haha��

Seriously, it is an honor to have your items in a display for one of your heroes. I look forward to seeing a post which includes a pic of you standing in front of your items on display. Maybe a close-up of the card reading “on loan from the M Knapp Collection”. Awesome!

Last edited by horzverti; 05-24-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:30 AM
Rick

I have loaned items from my Sandy Koufax collection to a couple of museums as well as to the Dodgers for their pop-up museum. Never a problem, they insured for the full value, and I received all of the proper documentation, including photos from their curators showing the condition of the items upon delivery to them to. I would gladly do it again as it is a lot of fun to share items, especially with people who would appreciate them. A lot of my friends aren't baseball fans, and I have never even bothered showing them anything from my collection as they couldn't care less about Koufax.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:22 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
I have loaned items from my Sandy Koufax collection to a couple of museums as well as to the Dodgers for their pop-up museum. Never a problem, they insured for the full value, and I received all of the proper documentation, including photos from their curators showing the condition of the items upon delivery to them to. I would gladly do it again as it is a lot of fun to share items, especially with people who would appreciate them. A lot of my friends aren't baseball fans, and I have never even bothered showing them anything from my collection as they couldn't care less about Koufax.
Agree totally with these comments. I've loaned some items to the Red Sox which have been on display at Fenway for several year now - they documented it all very well, provided insurance paperwork with estimates, etc.

Having stuff piled up at home or in a safe deposit box is great, but I think it's pretty neat to have a museum want to be able to share and display my things for other baseball lovers to view. My friends / family only have passing interest in my collection, so I am happy others get to see and appreciate these pieces of history.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:49 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
A lot of my friends aren't baseball fans, and I have never even bothered showing them anything from my collection as they couldn't care less about Koufax.
You clearly need new friends!
Old 05-26-2021, 08:00 AM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneen View Post
you clearly need new friends!
no sh*t
Old 05-26-2021, 08:05 PM
James C
Dennis Choraz.yczewski

I was recently contacted by the Ty Cobb Museum. They inquired about using some of my Cobb collection as a temporary display in the Museum. I have quite a few items from his playing days.

Not exactly sure how they found out about my Cobb collection.

Has anybody here ever loaned their collection to a museum?
Old 05-26-2021, 08:19 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheykid54 View Post
I was recently contacted by the Ty Cobb Museum. They inquired about using some of my Cobb collection as a temporary display in the Museum. I have quite a few items from his playing days.

Not exactly sure how they found out about my Cobb collection.

Has anybody here ever loaned their collection to a museum?
You can just read some of the the posts prior to yours. Several people have already addressed this.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:57 PM

If you carry insure your collection in your home the policy should also cover it when mailing or loaning it out. Others have suggested making the museum draw up and sign a contract for your items but your own insurance could offer as back up. Loan away, let others enjoy all your hard work.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:21 PM
Jay Cee

As long as each item is displayed properly and every item is insured for full replacement cost (if applicable) then I would do it in a heart beat. By showing and educating people about our hobby, will only help it for the future.

Just remember what happened to the Al Spaulding collection which was given to the NYPL. Next year will be the 100 year anniversary of when the collection was handed over.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:44 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Hi,

Coming from the museum industry, we've loaned and exhibited our soccer collection around the world. This task is made more complex by varying laws in different countries.

However, we have international laws that allowed us to write up loan contracts that secured our irreplaceable artifacts so they can be shared.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them by email.

Soccerarchives@gmail.com
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469
Old 06-26-2021, 04:47 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
As long as each item is displayed properly and every item is insured for full replacement cost (if applicable) then I would do it in a heart beat. By showing and educating people about our hobby, will only help it for the future.

Just remember what happened to the Al Spaulding collection which was given to the NYPL. Next year will be the 100 year anniversary of when the collection was handed over.

I'm not familiar with what happened to the Spaulding collection. Could you link a reference ?
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469
Old 06-27-2021, 07:14 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copa7 View Post
I'm not familiar with what happened to the Spaulding collection. Could you link a reference ?
http://haulsofshame.com/Spalding.html
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 06-28-2021, 07:40 AM
Mikeknapp

Thanks for the reply’s and advice everyone. I must admit to being initially a bit apprehensive about the prospect of leaving some of my collection in Pittsburgh. Nonetheless, I flew in from Seattle and spent the better part of an amazing day at the Roberto Clemente Museum with founder Duane Rieder. He gave me a three hour private tour. I also had the opportunity to meet Roberto Clemente Jr. he was very friendly and talked with me at length. The museum has a magical feel. History has been brought to life through Duane’s reverence, and passion for the Clemente family. Roberto’s story and legacy in Pittsburgh are in good and caring hands. I sense there are big things in the future for Duane and the museum. If you haven’t already visited I encourage you to do so. I loaned photos and memorabilia and am honored that they would will be on display in such a special place. Duane and I also attended the game that evening. The Pirates supplies the tickets. I have been asked to assist the Museum as needed. I will be returning in a few weeks to assist when the Mets are in town and I will be returning again in September to assist with the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the 1971 Championship. For this obsessed collector calling this an exciting opportunity would be an understatement to say the least.