NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Default BIG CONGRATS TO MY BOSTON CELTICS!!!!!!

Posted By: Neal

WHAT A TEAM,WHAT A SEASON,WHAT A FINALS.

IT WAS ALL GOOD!!! I AM VERY HAPPY TO BE A TRUE BOSTON SPORTS FAN FOREVER!

JUST WISH RED WAS THERE TOO SEE IT!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I have to give them credit. I really didn't think that it was enough time (since the trade) for the guys to work together as a cohesive unit, plus I didn't think they had enough good backup/role players. Now, having said that, this is probably the weakest Celtics team that has ever won the NBA championship.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

BOSTON IS THE GREATEST CITY FOR SPORTS!!!

I have watched all 4 sports teams’ ups and downs over the years and still have been a fan for 25+ years. I do wish "Red" was able to be at courtside, but the team sure respected him and made sure he was mentioned. I am so glad Phil Jackson failed to get the record. When I was at the Pats playoffs when they beat the Raiders in the snow and went onto win their first Super Bowl, I just had a feeling things would turn around. Being covered in the snow, and having my brother next to me, the greatest feeling I have ever had. That first win really changed the attitude of the city and the other sports teams looked up to that win. I became more positive about my collecting and my favorite teams from Bean Town. It’s great you see Celtics players at Red Sox games, Patriots at Celtics games and they all seem to enjoy and feed of each others accomplishments.

GREAT WIN LAST NIGHT!!!

Jimmy

Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

18-1

Old 06-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

18-1

Its all I can cling on to right now, as I live in Connecticut and can't stand all the pro-Boston chatter. Its making me sick. There were NO fans in the stands last year at Celtics games since they were tanking to try to get a better draft pick. How quickly the "fans" rush to buy tix when their team is winning.

Rob

Old 06-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Sarian

As a lifelong resident of Boston and a passionate fan, I am obviously ecstatic. That being said though, I can't stand all of the bandwagon fans that have come on board this year. I went to 5-6 games last year and every other year in recent memory with my father (we've both been big fans for as long as I have been alive), and although it was tough the past few years, it was still fun. This year was incredible, and what a way to win.

Boston - more than any other city I have seen - has such a huge number of bandwagon fans that jump on board once teams start winning. It's known around here as the "Pink Hat Factor" - basically a phrase which began with the Red Sox in 2004, when all the women who could care less about the game started showing up because it was the cool place to be. In order to look cool and hip at the game, they would wear their pink Red Sox hats. (Don't get me wrong or think I am sexist - I have an equal passion against the men who jump on the bandwagon as well; it's just that the "Pink Hat" name seems to say it all.)

This happened in 1993 with the Patriots when Parcells first showed up; it happened with the Sox in 2004, and now with the Celtics this season. It's nice to see the fans being so passionate right now, but I wish they would stick with the team when times aren't quite as great as they are right now.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

*Biting hard on bottom lip to prevent anti-Boston venom from coming out* I will just breathe in and out and pretend it's all a bad dream.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wil Jordan

I have been a Boston Celtic fan since the 50's. The championship they won last night was long over due. This team has character, class, talent, and heart. It was great to see all the old Celtics at the NEW GARDEN and to KG and Russell hug was a special moment for an old guy. It is do bad Red missed it. But I sure their was cigar lit up somewhere in the garden last night!

Old 06-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard S. Simon

Right you are Scott. The Boston fans (and I am a NYer but I love the city of Boston, don't get me wrong) were invisible 6,7,8 9 years ago. My daughter went to college in Boston and during my visits we would go to Fleet Center for a game. You could throw a bowling ball down the aisles and not hit anyone.
And don't forget Boston is the town where a great Celtic fan broke into Bill Russell's house in the middle of the night to take a dump on his living room floor.
=

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 06-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

I also live in CT and as you know its 50/50 (yanks and Redsox) fans here. I have been a Redsox fan for 30 years so i had to put up with the crap during the 90's when the Yanks were winning. I dealt with it knowing my turn will come.

Yanks suck now and Sox are great....my turn now!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

GO CELTS!

Fan since '80 and have weathered the drought of the last 20 years!

Old 06-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I have been a fan of all Boston teams since 1975 - I live nowhere near there, but have family ties with the town. I'm sure there are a lot of bandwagoners of EVERY team that has EVER won any type of championship in the history of mankind. There really is no need to come into this thread to stink it up with anti-Boston sentiment. Let the Celtics fans have their day. Sheesh!

Old 06-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Danny Grimes

Go Celtics!! grats to ray allen = ex-Uconn

Old 06-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Dan,

There are plenty of championship teams that do not garner a "bandwagon" following. Some franchises just market themselves better than others. While I generally feel bandwagon fans are a nuisance, I usually don't mind them, unless they become loud!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Just for arguments sake how does one know whether someone is a bandwagon fan without asking them how long they've been a fan?

Old 06-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: neal

You tell Mark!!! OH yeah

Old 06-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Dan,

Go to a Red Sox game in Baltimore, it is PAINFULLY obvious. Usually the louder, drunker and younger the person, the less time they've been a fan.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Well if the Orioles weren't such bandwagoning fans who only come to the park when the team is winning then Camden yards wouldn't be filled with bandwagoning Red Sox fans. See how it works? Every team (excepting maybe the Cubs and the Nebraska Football team)has this phenomenon when they are losing - miraculously the fans don't show up to the park in great numbers.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Dan, a lot of teams are supported by fans even when they are down. Check out the waiting lists for season tix for the Packers and Giants. The stadiums are filled no matter what.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Administrator

I agree, the yanks/sox rivalry is fun. I'm in SE CT, closer to the RI border so its probably about 60% sox fans and 40% yanks fans. I get both the NESN and YES stations, so I watch each team play as often as the other and its fun to follow them. I can't stand Useless (Youkilis) and Pimplebum, and always root for whatever team is playing the sox, but they really do have a good team and good management. And the Pawsox (AAA affiliate) is great for inexpensive family fun and a great game. Saw Justin Masterson pitch there in his only AAA outing which happened to be vs Scranton Yankees - was a great game! Oh and Schilling is annoying too.

I've gone to a couple Yanks games this year and love the stadium. Train + subway puts you right in the outfield. Still don't understand why they're tearing down the House That Ruth Built just to put a similar stadium literally right across the street, but nonetheless you can feel the excitement when you're in the area.

Pats are cheaters, Celts are cheaters, Red Sox actually earned it so I give them props and will just say "wait till next year" which is hopefully this year hee hee

Rob

edited 1 of the many grammatical errors i saw

Old 06-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

Pats did not go undefeated the whole season by cheating. In 2007, to do what they did will never been seen for decades. They accomplished that with pure talent. By the way, spygate is over and done with.

When the Yanks let Joe Torre go i knew it was over for a few years for them. Girardi is a fine person but should not be a manager.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Administrator

You're right, they didn't go undefeated the whole season ... they lost the most important game of the season. The one that mattered most.

Yankees - it was tough to lose so much of the coaching staff in one off-season: Torre, Bowa, and Mattingly. Considering their pitching woes, I think the Yanks are doing great. Just gotta stay in the race long enough for Wang to come back, pray that the Joba experiment pans out, and don't allow Farnsworth to blow too many leads!

Rob

Old 06-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

mark, congrats on all the boston success...i can't stand it but whatever.

just wanted to point out that managers don't have that big an impact in baseball, they're more of a hindrance than anything. u put dusty baker** with those yankees team and they'd still win. i haven't been impressed at all with torre here in los angeles.

disclaimer that dusty don't blow out pettite/wells/clemens' arms by having them throw 200 pitches per game.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I just checked and the Green Bay Packers' Lambeau Field has sold out every game since 1960. That covers both many good and many bad seasons.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Well done Doc!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Sarian

Dan,

To answer how I can determine if someone is a bandwagon fan, I usually would ask a question about the team from before they became good.

For instance, ask a Celtics "fan" to name any coach the team has had other than Doc Rivers. You'd be shocked at the number of people who couldn't answer it. Or just any Celtics question about last year.

Again, I'm not trying to sound miserable or anything; I am SO happy about the Celtics season this year! I'm just annoyed at the people who laughed at me last year when I would say I'm going to a Celtics game, who now profess to be the biggest fans ever. That is what annoys me.

Scott

Old 06-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Scott,

And to anyone else to whom this may apply...

Little bit of advice.

Life is to freaking short to be annoyed at such meaningless, inconsequential, issues as the "loyalty" of fans, why they're at a game, "pink hats", etc. etc. etc. Rather than finding fault with something, why not just enjoy it for what it is? I can't for the life of me understand why people come down on other teams either. Ooooooooooooooh, I just hate Boston teams!!! Talk about who should wear a pink hat.

You know what I find annoying?

Grown adults behaving and whining like children.

I wish my brother in law, an avid Boston Sports fan, and one of the best friends I had in this world, who I just lost three months ago to cancer, was here to see the boys in green win it again.

Although I admit I don't follow basketball as religiously as I do the Sox, does that make me a bad person for following them through the series?
If anyone thinks it does, grow up and behave like a man.

I get so tires of the freaking immaturity on here at times. And I couldn't care less if that offends anyone.

Greg

Edited to say, that the only thing I hate about my teams getting popular for whatever reason is that it's now very hard to get tickets to see them. But, it certainly makes it more enjoyable when a place is packed rather than a third full.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Erick Lewin

I tip my cap to them. They have some likeable players, "The truth" Pierce, Jesus Shuttlesworth and KG. I don't really like Kobe even though he is great. That being said I've had enough of Boston Fans winning lately. I hope the Red Sox go in another 86 year drought even though i don't think that's happening. I certainly was happy with the football outcome this past season. The knicks are still a joke for years to come, but I think the Yankees will be okay this year. The new Wang injury really hurts but they're all hitting now and the hitters are healthy. Cano should get going too. We need a Yankee Championship to restore balance to the Universe. Congrats Celts, and go Yanks!

Old 06-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

First time poster here. Been reading for a long time. This is a good thread to get my feet wet.

Life Long Boston Sports fan. 6 Major Sports Championships in just over 6 years is an embarrassment of riches. And 30 seconds from a 7th but you can't have it all. It has to be close to the greatest run over a variety of sports for a city to celebrate. I truly wish every sports fan of a major city could have this run as there are some very deserving cities.

Never thought this type of run would happen but in 20-30 years it will be looked at as the "great old days". And the sports fans of Boston deserve it as they are among the most knowledgeable fans around. I grew up in Boston and remain a loyal fan. Hats off to the city and the Celtics.

Now if we could just get some new ownership for the local Hockey team we could be dreaming of cups.

Regards,
Michael in MN

Old 06-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil

<<<<<Pats are cheaters, Celts are cheaters, Red Sox actually earned it so I give them props and will just say "wait till next year" which is hopefully this year hee hee>>>>>>

How are the Celts cheaters??

I'm a lifelong Celtics & Red Sox fan........lifelong resident of Cape Cod, MA.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Yes Michael, the B's are long overdue. Of course, the C's were always an expected powerhouse, but I think it was Bobby Orr and the BBB's that lifted the melancholy Beantown kids after the '67 Sox demise. A thousand of 'em, of all colors and sizes wore #4 on the frozen Town Field in Dorchester on any given day after school. Hockey was religion.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PAS

FWIW, long time Globe columnist Bob Ryan today rated these Celts as the second best ever, behind the 85-86 team.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

"Celts are cheaters?" Huh?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Neal

Just watched the Big Parade in downtown Beantown via online. Just love those duckboat rides!! It was just great seeing all those smiling and happy Boston fans,like myself. Beautiful day there just wish I was there.