NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-08-2003, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Default 1991 Anaheim National Theft Mckee and Bosley

Posted By: Dan Mckee

I am writing this thread so that I will not have to constantly defend myself to people who were not around in the hobby at the time this tragic event occurred. The PSA loss of my Magie has brought this back up since the PSA cult is constantly trying to attack my reputation on a chat board.

At the 1991 National in Anaheim my father and Joe Bosley who is now deceased were set up together. Anyone who was in the pre-war hobby at the time knows Dad had 1 of the best pre-war offerings at the show and at several shows prior. The first day they opened dad had a great day! $16K in sales. The next morning they came in to open up the table and the entire showcases and contents were gone. Another couple local to CA that had Topps and Bowman stuff were also wiped out the same way overnight. I WAS NOT at the show nor hardly involved at the time with cards. I still had my collection but was chasing skirts which was more important to me in 1991.

Yes we (dad and Joe and the CA couple) sued several parties to try and recoup the loss. We were awarded $33K total which didn't even dent what dad or the CA couple lost! Dad lost retail $250,000. The CA couple I believe was well over $100,000. dad got $11K, the CA couple got $11K and the lawyers got $11K. So we did receive something though it was a joke compared to what we lost.

I do not know many more specifics but I can tell you that you can ask any major dealer there and they will vouch that we were miserably robbed! Ask Kevin Struss, Bill Mastro I don't care who but anyone there will know we were robbed.

It makes me sick that people who know nothing about an event will publically state false accusations just to attack someone. Dad never recovered from that event financially. I can recover from my $6K but it is still a major loss to me. My blood is boiling over this crap.

If anyone has any questions or wants to attack me further, please email me directly at r337man@yahoo.com because I do not have the time right now to check this board. To my friends and supporters through all of this and to the people who know that I have been negligently ripped off, I thank you.

Old 10-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

edited

Old 10-08-2003, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

For whatever it's worth. I know Dan to be a very upfront and honest person. We have done a couple of deals now in the 5 figure range and no problems. I have never submitted to PSA and nor do I plan on doing so anytime soon. Just my 2 cents and keep your head up Dan-O Everything happens for a reason... JC

Old 10-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: botn

Although I have never met Dan, my experiences with him over the years have always been positive and I have never heard a negative thing spoken about him or his family.

The situation that he is in is an unenviable one. He has opened himself up to ridicule and attacks in an effort to get the word out to the public about an experience he had with PSA.

Arguments can certainly be made by both sides as to what happened or what should have happened, but the bottom line is that you have an individual who is willing to put his entire reputation on the line to share his experience.

I am not sure that PSA has enough information in which to comfortably reimburse Dan for his loss. But on the other hand, let's say for sake of argument that Dan is telling a lie and he is still in possession of it. The card that he claims is lost is a highly recognizable card. He has circulated images of it all over the country. He could never during his lifetime sell that card, which was his intent upon sending it to PSA. So I ask what does he have to gain if he were trying to defraud CU?

Old 10-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Magie, I've had nothing to do with him. However, Dan aside, my very few experiences with PSA have been mostly bad (I buy PSA graded cards when I can't get them ANY OTHER WAY, and then, as with all other grasded cards, remove the holder), and, like MW, think the PSA 8 Wagner is trimmed (so what else is new?)

Old 10-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Verrill

I try very hard (ask my wife) to avoid getting overly-involved in disputes of this nature. But, certain things - and this is a textbook example if ever there was one - left to fester for too long - can eat away at a person - can even segregate an entire COMMUNITY, little by little. And, a time comes when you just have to stand up, tear away the shackles, and let it be known EXACTLY how you feel, and EXACTLY where you stand. Because, in MY opinion, FAILURE to stand up for something you believe in strongly is FAR WORST than taking a stand that may at the time be unpopular.

So...

False allegations are just that - FALSE ALLEGATIONS.

You can put a pile of the wettest, runniest, smelliest COW MANURE (s**t) you can find in to a designer DRESS - take it out on the town for a night of fun - brag about it to all of your friends - talk endlessly about it on chat boards - nominate it for public office - WHATEVER - but, does that change the fact that it is just a beautiful dress FULL OF WET, RUNNY, SMELLY MANURE? ( I know, the analogy is, well...unique).

Dan McKee - Danny - r337man - you are a gentleman. Your word, in my honest opinion - can be taken as truth, never less. There is simply no reason NOT TO.

You demonstrate great character in "tolerating" so much that is said on the public boards. I wish I had HALF the patience you show, time and again.

To anyone that disputes Dan's character: take the time to educate yourself on the facts. Not doing so only further perpetuates a MYTH and wrongly sullies the reputation of a truly good person.

And THAT is an injustice.

OK, I'm done (for now).

Respectfully,
James Verrill

Old 10-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Dan, besides slamming me on my last ebay purchase-feedback, is great to deal with.....His father is even better......and PSA sucks......with that being said I sort of don't understand why so many board members send their stuff to them (except of course resale value).....but why do so many of ya'll have PSA registry sets, send them personally collected items etc?.....in my neck of the woods that is called hypocrisy.....The only way SGC (or GAI) can gain ground is if we don't deal with PSA and give our stuff to the other respected companies..AND SGC WILL listen to us....they did the "OPEN REGISTRY" because we requested it and it made cents (sic).......well, there's my 2 cents..probably not popular, as usual...later

Old 10-09-2003, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

and stay away from all and any lots I want that end today and tomorrow in John's auction!

Old 10-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Verrill

LMAO, Brian!

Old 10-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

"you use your tongue prettier than a $20 whore." Your posts are always so erudite. Great fun to read.

Dan: I remember talking with your father a day or two after that theft. I could not believe then and cannot believe now that someone got away with it. Only $33K on it; was that a settlement or a verdict?

Old 10-10-2003, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

WBAL radio in Baltimore just interviewed me. I have another radio station and 2 other newspapers who have contacted me. To Joe Orlando, I am just getting warmed up! Doug Allen was correct, I will not go away!

Old 10-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

edited

Old 10-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B Kaz

I do not know anyone involved with this personally, but after seeing this process played out I will never send cards to PSA. I wish you the best of luck in righting the injustice.