NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2022, 10:20 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Default Is it how to broker a deal?

Goldin: "I heard you have a t206 Wagner SGC-2 and I have someone looking for one. Is it available for sale?".

SGC-2 owner: "Make me an insane offer and I will decide"

Goldin: "Hmm.. a SGC-3 just sold for $6.6Mil and yours is SGC-2. What about we offer you the same price at $6.6Mil?"

SGC-2 owner: "Deal! Do I need to pay you any commission?"

Goldin: "Don't worry about it, I will add 10% on the $6.6Mil price tag!"

On the news: "On Aug 4, 2022, Goldin brokered a T206 Wagner SGC-2 for $7.25Mil.... Highest Price Ever For a Trading Card"

(Serious question, in deals like this, which side pays the middle man? Buyer or Seller?)

Last edited by chriskim; 08-05-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:48 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Buyer. It is a finder's fee to the middleman.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:49 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
Goldin: "I heard you have a t206 Wagner SGC-2 and I have someone looking for one. Is it available for sale?".

SGC-2 owner: "Make me an insane offer and I will decide"

Goldin: "Hmm.. a SGC-3 just sold for $6.6Mil and yours is SGC-2. What about we offer you the same price at $6.6Mil?"

SGC-2 owner: "Deal! Do I need to pay you any commission?"

Goldin: "Don't worry about it, I will add 10% on the $6.6Mil price tag!"

On the news: "On Aug 4, 2022, Goldin brokered a T206 Wagner SGC-2 for $7.25Mil.... Highest Price Ever For a Trading Card"

(Serious question, in deals like this, which side pays the middle man? Buyer or Seller?)
From my limited experience it is the buyer still pays it. However I have been the buyer and I have been the looker so the auction has been brokering the deal for me so i paid. However, I have never been the seller looking for the buyer in a private sale where the seller was using the auction house to broker the deal so not sure if that changes anything or not

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-05-2022, 10:57 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I noticed that Heritage (most of the big houses broker) takes 10% from the amount the seller receives. Thus they happily mention that you should take that into account if sending an offer to a seller, lol.

Here's the not so subtle hint:

"This item's owner is actively responding to (though not necessarily routinely accepting) offers. Most owners in this category are still actively buying, and therefore interested only in offers where they can net (after our 10% fee) an amount sufficiently above today's market value. Owners in this category seldom counter-offer, and will usually simply reject offers placed at current auction values or lower."

It makes sense to me as they are selling on commission essentially, that the seller would pay and there would be no buyer premium. It's also semantics as they mention that in order to get a positive reaction to your offer you should calculate that in for the seller. So the actual legal payment is taken from the seller on the paperwork, however the real world answer is all perspective.

Here is their official language:

"What is Heritage's Commission?
Heritage retains only 10% (minimum $40 per lot) of the total price to offset payment processing, administrative and support costs. This service is free to the buyer (no Buyer's Premium), includes a 7 day return policy with the exception of third-party graded and encapsulated items (NGC, PCGS, CGC, PSA, SGC, PMG, CAG, Beckett, Wata, etc.), and protects the identity of both parties. Because Make Offer to Owner transactions are not auctions and no Buyer's Premium is charged, auction consignment discount coupons are not accepted for this program."

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-05-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:10 AM

I do brokered deals fairly often (5-6 per year). It’s all negotiable, and frankly fungible. At the end of the day, the seller wants/needs a certain amount and the buyer has a limit on what he will pay. The broker falls somewhere in between and it’s all just part of the deal. I have paid the broker separately and I have paid the buyer who then pays the broker.

Also, the size of the commission will vary (often significantly) based on the size of the deal. A broker may take 5% or a flat $5000 on a large, six figure deal, but requires 10%+ on a $10k deal. It’s generally just as difficult to sell a $50k card as it is a $500k card. The broker needs to make money.

Also, as an avid buyer and a regular participant in brokered deals, I like that brokers make good money, so long as the deal makes sense, because they are more likely to bring me other deals.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:23 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I do brokered deals fairly often (5-6 per year). It’s all negotiable, and frankly fungible. At the end of the day, the seller wants/needs a certain amount and the buyer has a limit on what he will pay. The broker falls somewhere in between and it’s all just part of the deal. I have paid the broker separately and I have paid the buyer who then pays the broker.

Also, the size of the commission will vary (often significantly) based on the size of the deal. A broker may take 5% or a flat $5000 on a large, six figure deal, but requires 10%+ on a $10k deal. It’s generally just as difficult to sell a $50k card as it is a $500k card. The broker needs to make money.

Also, as an avid buyer and a regular participant in brokered deals, I like that brokers make good money, so long as the deal makes sense, because they are more likely to bring me other deals.
I would imagine this also would be a benefit to the seller to avoid the governmental spotlight that comes with moving a high figure card. (I do not mean this as a slight, I mean this as realizing it is a wise decision) The only negative I see is the excitement and extra eyes that Goldin lost not having it in a premier auction. However, money is money and the lights stay on for another month.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.