NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2022, 01:50 PM
Dale Walton
Dale Wal.ton

Default Joe Orlando - New Job

Did folks hear Joe Orlando, formerly of PSA and just recently Collectable, now works for Heritage?
Old 08-01-2022, 02:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by taul166 View Post
Did folks hear Joe Orlando, formerly of PSA and just recently Collectable, now works for Heritage?
I am not surprised, when he left PSA many felt that is where he would end up.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:52 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I’ve always liked Joe—I wish him well in his new job
Old 08-01-2022, 04:28 PM
Carl Lamendola

I saw Joe at the National. He always has a smile on his face and is a great guy. I’m sure he’ll be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2022, 05:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Joe did a phenomenal job growing the PSA brand. My opinion, and it's just that, is that he did not do enough to stop the proliferation of trimmed and altered cards.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
i’ve always liked joe—i wish him well in his new job
+1
Old 08-02-2022, 04:56 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Joe did a phenomenal job growing the PSA brand. My opinion, and it's just that, is that he did not do enough to stop the proliferation of trimmed and altered cards.
What do you think he could or should have done to prevent this?
Old 08-02-2022, 05:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
What do you think he could or should have done to prevent this?
Scrutinized subs from known/strongly suspected card doctors much more closely. Not allowed the cozy grader dealer relationships that were fostered at the Invitationals. Not gone into the ostrich act when the scandal broke. In general, across the board, made it a much higher priority and a part of the company culture than the other way around. Made the graders use the tools actually available to them like a blacklight.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-02-2022 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:29 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Luck

Best to Joe O. in his new gig.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:05 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Scrutinized subs from known/strongly suspected card doctors much more closely. Not allowed the cozy grader dealer relationships that were fostered at the Invitationals. Not gone into the ostrich act when the scandal broke. In general, across the board, made it a much higher priority and a part of the company culture than the other way around. Made the graders use the tools actually available to them like a blacklight.
Do you think he was blindsided by the extent of the trimming scandal, or do you think he was mostly already aware that this was happening and he just didn't think it was that big of a deal?

The challenge I keep coming up against when entertaining this thought experiment is that even if they had tried to crack down on known trimmers, I don't think it would have made much of an impact on the problem at large since there are a seemingly endless number of group submitters that they could still send their cards through.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Do you think he was blindsided by the extent of the trimming scandal, or do you think he was mostly already aware that this was happening and he just didn't think it was that big of a deal?

The challenge I keep coming up against when entertaining this thought experiment is that even if they had tried to crack down on known trimmers, I don't think it would have made much of an impact on the problem at large since there are a seemingly endless number of group submitters that they could still send their cards through.
My opinion, and I acknowledge it's only based on educated guesswork and some speculation, is that he was pretty knowledgeable about what went on in the hobby and was probably more surprised by how much BODA was able to uncover than by what they uncovered. Put another way, I'd be surprised if someone that smart and that immersed in the hobby and its participants could have been blindsided.

As to your second point, there is some truth to that, but I continue to think that regardless of who submitted them, more scrutiny would have uncovered a lot of the bad cards. I can't believe, for example, that many of these recolored cards we've seen would not have stood out under a blacklight. Or that an experienced grader could have really looked closely at some of the trimmed cards we saw.

Tying in to another discussion, I speculate that TPGs scrutinize the man on the street's cards more closely than favored big submitters.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-02-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:52 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
My opinion, and I acknowledge it's only based on educated guesswork and some speculation, is that he was pretty knowledgeable about what went on in the hobby and was probably more surprised by how much BODA was able to uncover than by what they uncovered. Put another way, I'd be surprised if someone that smart and that immersed in the hobby and its participants could have been blindsided.

As to your second point, there is some truth to that, but I continue to think that regardless of who submitted them, more scrutiny would have uncovered a lot of the bad cards. I can't believe, for example, that many of these recolored cards we've seen would not have stood out under a blacklight. Or that an experienced grader could have really looked closely at some of the trimmed cards we saw.

Tying in to another discussion, I speculate that TPGs scrutinize the man on the street's cards more closely than favored big submitters.
Any submission with a certain number, or maybe percentage, of altered cards is an instant ban. Should encourage the group submitters to be careful who they deal with.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 08-03-2022 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:28 AM
Dale Walton
Dale Wal.ton

I don't know Joe and never talked to him before bumping into him at the National. Very friendly guy especially with someone he had never met before. He was willing to chat. I just casually mentioned his leaving Collectable. He said Collectable turned out in just a short amount of time to not be the right place for him. He did not criticize Collectable or the people there, and said the fractional ownership has its place in the hobby. He seemed proud of his time at PSA but we did not talk about his departure. It will be interesting to see what his role is at Heritage and how he fits in with the existing Heritage hierarchy and what he winds up doing.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:32 PM

Joe was always very supportive of my baseball card research and writings. He also responded personally and thoughtfully to my inquiries and concerns about PSA services and grading. I had the pleasure of meeting him once. Good guy in my book. I wish him well.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Any submission with a certain number, or maybe percentage, of altered cards is an instant ban. Should encourage the group submitters to be careful who they deal with.
Scott, I think you me and three other guys even care.