NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2022, 12:31 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Actually it was interesting how it was done. Several ways

1. They actually had a trading area in middle of the show where you could wait and see people and trade with
2. There were people walking around and then finding a dealer that had a certain card/card like Ruth and then the person offered to trade with the dealer
3. The person stood at the same table and as another person is looking at the dealers cards the person with the card to trade/sell starts talking with the other person and says I got this would you like to see it
4. Other times anyone carry as card carrier case they kept going up to each other asking what they had and would you like to trade.
5. And in the VIP area I also saw people spread cards out and wait for others to start a dialogue and then sometimes engage in trades.
6. I also did see a few people buy cards from one dealer and go to others trying for a quick flip/profit
7. Even at the hotels I saw trade and sale action going on

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-30-2022, 12:36 PM

My son turned a handful of Pokémon cards into a few k at the SGC 10$ a card quick grade station. I was shaking my head both before and after...Ike really (going to spend 100$ on this...to wow that was profitable...)

I'm lost on these and the new basketball/football premium cards. They could be 1.00 or 1m and I would not know...

We'll maybe this one - son said was a legend...(see pic) for 10m...or a Seinfeld auto!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2022, 12:55 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
7. Even at the hotels I saw trade and sale action going on
There was a large gathering in the walkway between the Claridge and Bally's last night after the show. Some even took over the seating and bar seats facing the walkway in the little snack shop that is there. Guessing there was probably 100+ people. Most had cards laid out on the floor in front waiting for someone to approach. Others were in groups of 4 or 5 making deals. I glanced around pretty quick but all I saw was modern.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 07-30-2022, 01:07 PM

Everyone will have their own opinions about their experience, but it seems like the National has transitioned to a lot of buying, selling, and especially trading the shiny stuff.
Old 07-30-2022, 01:16 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

The shiny stuff seems to be the trend but vintage was well represented

It was my first and I had a great experience (and will be better prepared for Chicago next year)

It was great meeting and networking
Great seeing all the great and assorted vintage cards and memorabilia
Amazing experience with the set up they had “on the blue carpet”
And enjoyed the evening time with my wife with the Dinners, show, a little gambling, and Board walk.

Overall more positives then opportunities (biggest Wi-Fi and cellular connections issues)

And of course I was able to get a few items for my collection

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 07-30-2022, 03:33 PM
Darrell

Default National summary

My quick summary , 5th national , first at AC

1- Hobby is healthy is an understatement
2- lots of modern, vintage , pre war, baseball and basketball
3- picked up some nice T206s and PSA 8 Aarons for my run down to ‘just” the 54
3- Great to meet Jeff K , AJ , Scott and a few others
4- dealers in general were great .. Cash is king for sure .. one dealer took $25 off a $300 T206 after I offered $300 cash…$275 done ..
5- lots of kids which was great to see for the hobby
6- AC is a bit dicey to say the least , we ubered at night - WiFi horrible at Conv center
7- Stayed at Sheraton .. super convenient and great staff. … parking and traffic a mess.. Frankly I think the police had bigger fish to fry

So now I leave the PHL airport but will have to Uber to EWR to fly home
When I went to board on American with my wife (and our 2 boarding passes) they notified me I was bumped off the plane (after they checked in luggage)… at least our luggage all went and my wife is home safe … Long ugly story with the AA, but could be worse … not sure how ….. still a great show overall . ill deal with AA next week…

Hope everyone gets back !
Darrell - dfletch00
Old 07-30-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletch00 View Post
ill deal with AA next week…
They cancelled my return flight last year and it took me three tries to get refunded.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:49 AM
Carl

I attended my first National in 30 years yesterday.

Backstory: The last time I attended I had a booth with a couple of college friends selling our 50's, 60's and 70's cards to help pay for college (we had a substantial collection together and a connection for getting a booth) - so we were Atlanta-bound! At the show I made a trade for a "Honus Wagner" card... it was an e92 Dockman and Sons (hitting). It sat in my nightstand for 25 years until I decided to get it graded a couple of years ago and my desire to complete the Dockman set began!

I've added to the set by making some deals with DJ, Gary Nuchereno and even Leon. That was my quest for heading from PA to AC yesterday, filling in some gaps in the set, and seeing the spectacle that is The National!

My Experience:
* Arrived in AC at ~11 am, parked at Caesars, and made a 1-minute walk to the convention center. Speaking with younger kids and their dads along the entire trip - I got more pumped by their excitement, I'm not going to lie!
* A line of about 100 people at the entrance but worked through that in about 8-10 minutes. A good job was done having enough people putting on wristbands.
* By 11:30, I was IN! Methodically went aisle by aisle looking for my e92 Dockmans. Instead, kicked off my day by purchasing 73 Topps Schmidt rookie (geez, prices on these are REALLY reasonable).
* Saw an INCREDIBLE Dockman Matthewson (PSA 7) and just needed to stare at that for several minutes! Didn't even bother to ask with the dealer wanted, knowing the last REA had one go over $10k and I don't think that baby was a 7!
* Spoke to several dealers and overall their reactions were 'underwhelming' As the day drew on I was at a booth where 2-3 dealers were chatting about not setting up the next day? Wouldn't that get you blacklisted from attending again? Seemed odd but their booths were in a poor location, who knows. The show was packed the entire time I was there and their merch was unremarkable.
* As shared by others, not a ton of vintage, though of the vintage, there were a TON of t206's. Even at non-pre-war setups, I'd see a green or red back Cobb on at least 5-6 occasions.
* e92's nearly nonexistent! Dockmans, Crofts or Najda's - if there were 50-60 in total in the entire convention, I'd be floored! There were more 19th-century cards than e92's.... interesting.
* Reflecting tables (modern stuff) were easy to spot - a ton of people at these tables and brisk buying/selling.
* 707 Sortscards had a huge 4 booth setup and an impressive assortment of cards.
* No shortage of Babe Ruth's, Gehrigs, Cobbs or Mantle's. Also, Clemente's were being pulled out of several cases I was browsing by collectors. Spotted signed 52's Topps Willie Mays and Jackie cards! That was cool.
* Several video streamers broadcasting from their booth, pack-ripping stations and in the aisles.
* As described by others, many, many hard cases are being lugged around - I left in the minority by not having mine!
* Loved seeing kids making deals - trades, trade & cash, straight cash - saw it all.
* Visited a booth where they specialized in Mantle (pics included) -- WOW!

Overall, it was a nice experience. I walked the entire venue in 6 hours - 13,500 steps and saw every booth. I won't wait 3 years for my next National but can say, I wouldn't be making special trips to Chicago or the West Coast to attend That's just me..... and I'm a little spoiled having the Philly Show in my backyard as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my pickup.jpg (201.5 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg bEMIS.jpg (195.8 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg 206t's.jpg (203.8 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg bergan.jpg (196.8 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg dots miller.jpg (195.1 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg mantle1.jpg (212.0 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg mantle2.jpg (208.8 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg mantle3.jpg (210.0 KB, 210 views)
Old 07-31-2022, 12:59 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Great recap Carl and thanks for sharing some photos

Interesting that some dealers were thinking about not setting up for another day regardless of location.
We might think a location is bad but even the back wall facing the wall those dealers were all packed with people.
I guess if they sold all their good stuff or if they only have “ unremarkable stuff” then they were not making money

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 07-31-2022, 01:52 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

That ridiculous collection of Mantles absolutely needs to be seen properly oriented...

mantle2.jpg

mantle3.jpg

mantle1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.