NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2022, 04:25 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Some prices are coming down but it is mot consistent and sometimes the next auction the prices look like they are going back up depending the bidders and card.
Right now it might seem a little soft for some but is that because of summers auction fatigue? Every summer there seems to be a ton of auctions at the same time plus Nationals and there is only so much money to go around for all those cards. I am finding that as I bid on cards another auction opens with cards that I want more than what I am currently bidding on(wish I could get them all) so I stop bidding on that card or I am not bidding at all until I see what is coming in the next auction so I do not miss out.

Related to eBay I find that many people put their collection on eBay just for viewing and not really interested in selling but just a place to show off so they put prices that no one would want to pay. I have seen many cards on their for years and years and literally seen them not only not sell but they raise the price
It is not just eBay. Check out the auction section here. We have a guy that starts stuff off at prices WAY higher than eBay BIN listings that rearely if ever sell. I am waiting for hm to list a half bottle of Crisco for $12 plus shipping and say it is below eBay comps.

Last edited by bnorth; 07-26-2022 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I know during the amazing run up junk era was selling like crazy. Stuff I couldn't give away was suddenly selling like crazy. Now it has really slowed down. Not back to can't give it away but nothing like big run up.
I think that's a good assessment of most of the market..."higher than 2019 but lower than 2020-21".
Old 07-27-2022, 10:21 AM
Scott Russell

I just want to say, unless you are looking for something specific, saying you can't find items at good prices seems insane. I got to walk around for about an hour after I set up yesterday and I could've spent my budget 5 times over just on things I could flip immediately.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-28-2022, 02:55 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Here's my recent Gehrig pickup that I paid out the wazoo for.
Love it.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:28 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
I don’t see a Richard M on the dealer list.
He is most likely set up with a Scott B and Jay M most likely will be around to

Last edited by BeanTown; 07-28-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:59 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

I picked a few cards at good prices
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7A442458-99EA-4F69-99E6-15FDC976545D.jpg (197.4 KB, 837 views)
File Type: jpg CBEC3D05-6BAB-4851-AEA6-7CBBD273D38C.jpg (191.8 KB, 844 views)
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 07-29-2022, 07:37 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_NY View Post
As an exhibitor, I never expect to get 100% of my asking price for most items. I am even negotiable on the rarest of the rare.

I tend to sell at 85% to 90% of my asking price, and this year I am showcasing ten showcases or more (all locked) of the common to the rare. But I am also focusing on significantly rarer items that could feasibly sell in the $10,000 to $100,000 range or more.

Some of those items I am not that negotiable but it depends on whether I have a good show or not. You never know.

I have not experinced this decline in prices that the rest of the market keeps talking about. Well maybe in non sports cards and sets. I expect to have a good show and if not, I will curb my buying during the rest of 2022 and into 2023.

Steve Sabow
DynamicTwo@aol.com
914-522-3853

Booth 1100 6 booths in the main entrance
Steve, how are sales at the National?
Old 07-30-2022, 09:02 AM
Michael C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I just want to say, unless you are looking for something specific, saying you can't find items at good prices seems insane. I got to walk around for about an hour after I set up yesterday and I could've spent my budget 5 times over just on things I could flip immediately.
I guess it depends on what you were looking for. When items were priced in cases at 2X what the SAME item closed for in last weeks Heritage auction - its not even worth inquiring. It was like that on just about every 1954 Hank Aaron on the show floor. I walked in with the intention of buying one in a 3/4 range. I walked out just saying I'll hit one up online for a thousand dollars cheaper.

I came close to pulling a trigger on a PSA 3.5 at $3900. But the dealer wouldn't budge. An SGC 3 closed in Heritage a week ago for $2300 and a PSA 3 closed last week for $2300. The PSA 3.5 was about what you'd expect for a 3 range but had a decent sized stain in the top corner.

The dealer was actually insulted I asked for a better price. He said "Its the cheapest one in town. I'm shocked it hasn't sold yet"

LOL

Edit to add: I didn't even bother mentioning the PSA 4s in cases all over for $6000 etc. I just walked by those.

Last edited by Mrc32; 07-30-2022 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:51 AM
Mike

How much are some of these guys carrying around with them in cash ? I can't imagine going to the bank and asking for $100k + in cash .
Old 07-30-2022, 10:18 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
How much are some of these guys carrying around with them in cash ? I can't imagine going to the bank and asking for $100k + in cash .
There were people carrying more than that and others were carrying cards that were very high end and showing them to people trying to sell it to dealers or other buyers. They were also trying to trade.

Some of the dealers had actual huge safes (approx 6 foot tall) and as they transacted they put the money in them for safe keeping.

There were a lot of cards over 100k and a lot more there for sale.

So carrying $100k in cash would not get you many of high end Mantles I saw or other cards that were $350k or more

Many dealers took check only if you had someone that could vouch for you that they knew and were comfortable with and some did PayPal FF but Cash is as king and many would not look at you if you did not have cash

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-30-2022, 11:15 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I’ve never seen more hundred dollars being counted by dealers before in all my years of going to the national. People were spending everywhere. Recession, that’s comical to me, sure as hell is not in the card market.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:33 PM
Mike

I'm sure these dealers are paying taxes on all this cash !

Also, been watching on YouTube transactions with minors ( under 18) selling and trading cards for thousands of dollars ( are these transactions legal and binding).
Old 07-30-2022, 06:23 PM
Rich

Default National

Every dealer I spoke to said they were having a great show on Thursday and Friday at the National. The crowds were crazy both days, but I would estimate that the crowd on Thursday was larger than Friday's. I thought most dealers had their prices for cards from the 1940's to 1970s price generally at retail. Although the prime Rookie cards of those years were listed higher. I did find that most dealers were willing to accept less than their original asking price if you asked politely and did not ridicule their original prices. Dealers were even willing to move off their asking prices for Mantles. I got a high grade 1968 Mantle I needed for my set by asking what the dealer's best price was and he knocked 15% off what I thought was a good market price to begin with. My favorite "pricing" incidents were watching how dealers responded to people who argued with them that their prices were unreasonable! Most of the dealers I saw dealing with this confrontation tried to explain calmly at how they valued their cards. I only saw one exchange where the potential buyer swore at a dealer because he thought the dealer should have taken his offer. But, there were a lot of people arguing rather than haggling over prices. First time I had noticed this at a show. Probably not that unusual nowadays, but somehow I had not noticed before. Many, Many teenage kids and younger, almost all collecting modern shiny stuff. I also noticed a pattern that people of Asian heritage seemed to be overwhelmingly interested in recent modern card dealers tables. Just an observation that was hard to miss.

Last edited by uyu906; 07-30-2022 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-30-2022, 08:12 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I had the pleasure of meeting SB1 at his table and it had a wonderful group of cards. A diverse group of 19th century cards that was easily the best table of items for sale at the show. I had my grandson who had me hunting down pokemon cards for his collection so I did not have much time to say hello to many old friends but we had a great time.
I got to show 1230 on Friday and was nervous about parking but got a great spot. Got 1 autograph that took up alot of our time. But I was very happy to find a ton of fun card products and activities for my grandson. Panini kid case lots of promos and swag to break up the time. I was happily surprised by how many more young folks (with cash to spend) were at this national vs 2016 last time national was here in AC. A large number of corporate booths pushing Card pricing data packages. I am 100% that that will thin out quite a bit by the next time national is back here in NJ..
Old 07-30-2022, 08:41 PM
James M.

There were definitely deals to be had, if you looked in the right places. I found some 52 Topps commons for 4-7 dollars a piece, granted they were in rougher condition, but that's still hard to find nowadays, with the popularity of the set.

I was able to secure two Mantles for very fair prices, especially the 67 that I picked up today, in a PSA 5. It took a lot of searching, and some haggling but patience was definitely key. Were there some booths that were overpriced in my opinion? Absolutely. But there's definitely some wiggle room if you go about things the right way.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:05 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Love it.
Thanks, Justin!
Old 07-31-2022, 09:41 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyu906 View Post
My favorite "pricing" incidents were watching how dealers responded to people who argued with them that their prices were unreasonable! Most of the dealers I saw dealing with this confrontation tried to explain calmly at how they valued their cards. I only saw one exchange where the potential buyer swore at a dealer because he thought the dealer should have taken his offer. But, there were a lot of people arguing rather than haggling over prices. First time I had noticed this at a show. Probably not that unusual nowadays, but somehow I had not noticed before. Many, Many teenage kids and younger, almost all collecting modern shiny stuff.
Great report, thanks! I'm guessing there's some correlation between the actual arguing over prices, as opposed to haggling or negotiating, and the influx of younger collectors/flippers, which is good news otherwise. Those who have been around for awhile learn there's a right way and a wrong way to try to get a price down, and which side ALWAYS wins when the discussion turns ugly.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:58 AM
Rich

Default You are correct

Hank,

You are right. The people I saw/heard arguing over dealer pricing were all younger collectors, under 40 years old. It was quite interesting hearing them tell the dealers why their asking prices were "way out of line."
Those younger people apparently never heard the adage that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. By the way, I did not see anyone who was arguing with a dealer about their prices actually succeed in making a deal.
Maybe if they keep having those experiences they will learn how to haggle calmly with being offensive.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Great report, thanks! I'm guessing there's some correlation between the actual arguing over prices, as opposed to haggling or negotiating, and the influx of younger collectors/flippers, which is good news otherwise. Those who have been around for awhile learn there's a right way and a wrong way to try to get a price down, and which side ALWAYS wins when the discussion turns ugly.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:05 AM
Mike

When I was the age of some of these "collectors" I borrowed a quarter from my dad to bike to the local party store to buy a few packs, now these kids are holding handfuls of 100 dollar bills !
Old 07-31-2022, 12:22 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Hank,

You are right. The people I saw/heard arguing over dealer pricing were all younger collectors, under 40 years old. It was quite interesting hearing them tell the dealers why their asking prices were "way out of line."
Those younger people apparently never heard the adage that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. By the way, I did not see anyone who was arguing with a dealer about their prices actually succeed in making a deal.
Maybe if they keep having those experiences they will learn how to haggle calmly with being offensive.

Rich
Rich it’s the internet social media transaction behavior, most are keyboard warriors. They talk massive Crap, they bully people on social media into lowering their prices. Usually never works in person with seasoned dealers.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:41 PM
Rich

Default bullying

Johnny,

You are probably right. It definitely did seem to have some element of bullying involved with the way they were talking to the dealer. The one particular dealer in mind looked to be in his 60's. I do not think he was terribly intimidated by the youngster who was yelling at him that he had unreasonable prices. In fact the dealer's patience was more than I would have had with the guy. I would have waved him away once he started yelling.

Rich
Old 07-31-2022, 12:48 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Johnny,

You are probably right. It did seem to have some element of bullying involved with the way they were talking to the dealer. The one particular dealer in mind looked to be in his 60's. I do not think he was terribly intimidated by the youngster who was yelling at him that he had unreasonable prices. In fact the dealer's patience was more than I would have had with the guy. I would have waved him away once he started yelling.

Rich
I hope people chill out and are humble themselves, it’s only cards. If you don’t like the dealers price there are only about 500 more tables at the show.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:59 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I just assumed everything could be gotten with a 10%-20% discount from marked price
and did minor haggling with that window. Respectful of dealer and that was not doable it was not doable. Zero reason to lecture or scream at someone.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-31-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:58 PM

Default Gehrig Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I follow Gehrig cards to what some would say it a rather obsessive degree. It's like 95% of my collection. Prices have softened. In some cases rather significantly. Here's one rather striking example.

Heritage just sold a 1925 Gehrig Exhibits 3(MK) for $75,000
LOTG sold a 1925 Gehrig 3(MK) Exhibits in March 2021 for $160,000

Just like the stock market . . . not every stock moves in tandem.
ZERO comparison between those 2 cards. For accuracy, the “all in” pricing was $87K vs. $192K. The difference? The $87K example had obtrusive writing on the verso - a blatant MK version. The $192K example’s MK was virtually invisible on the verso - could not even see it unless you used ultra-heavy magnification. The bidders for the LOTG 3-MK treated it as a virtually clean PSA 3.

Last edited by Vintageclout; 07-31-2022 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-01-2022, 09:09 AM
Rich

Default prices

On the cards I was looking at 1940s-early 1970s, I found that most dealers would take offers of 10-15% off asking prices at the National.

Quote:
I just assumed everything could be gotten with a 10%-20% discount from marked price
and did minor haggling with that window. Respectful of dealer and that was not doable it was not doable. Zero reason to lecture or scream at someone.

Last edited by uyu906; 08-01-2022 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-01-2022, 09:26 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

The only real right a dealer has is to price his cards as he sees fit. It is the way our capitalistic system works. Bad behavior is not the way to score deals.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:44 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
On the cards I was looking at 1940s-early 1970s, I found that most dealers would take offers of 10-15% of asking prices at the National.
And I presume you’re missing an “f” here?
Old 08-01-2022, 03:49 PM
Rich

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
And I presume you’re missing an “f” here?
Yes
Old 08-01-2022, 05:56 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
I follow Gehrig cards to what some would say it a rather obsessive degree. It's like 95% of my collection. Prices have softened. In some cases rather significantly. Here's one rather striking example.

Heritage just sold a 1925 Gehrig Exhibits 3(MK) for $75,000
LOTG sold a 1925 Gehrig 3(MK) Exhibits in March 2021 for $160,000

Just like the stock market . . . not every stock moves in tandem.
I would discard all data points from Feb and Mar 2021 when making observations about the current state of the market. Those two months had extreme outliers in the data. The market artificially spiked temporarily and then immediately crashed after.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:38 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I just assumed everything could be gotten with a 10%-20% discount from marked price and did minor haggling with that window. Respectful of dealer and that was not doable it was not doable. Zero reason to lecture or scream at someone.
+1. I believe most dealers build 20%, give or take, into their prices for most items, and expect that negotiations will end up at that level. I did, anyway, and was always kind of floored when someone would say, "I'll take it," right off the bat. I figured they were new to the hobby or just shy about wheeling and dealing and willing to pay a premium to avoid it. I didn't like inflating my prices this way, I'd much rather have put my bottom line price on everything, but quickly learned how the game was expected to be played. As a buyer, I would never offer more than a 20% discount as to not offend, although on occasion, like at the end of the show, a bigger cut would be offered by the dealer in response to my standard question, "What's your very best on this?"
Old 08-02-2022, 10:06 AM
Jason Seidl

Quote:

I purchased two items (a really nice PSA 4 Matty White cap) and a game worn 1966 Syracuse Chiefs jersey. Both were had between 10%-25% of asking. But asking was high. I felt I paid up for the jersey but got the Matty at a very fair price. Unfortunately there were a few T206 PSA 4 commons I needed but could not get close to reasonable level with $250-$300 asking prices (non rare back mind you).

Last edited by Jersey City Giants; 08-02-2022 at 10:07 AM.