NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2022, 11:09 AM
Al Jurgela

Default T216 Font Size Question

Quick question for some of the experts out there....

have noticed that checklists and catalogs for T216 refer to a Large Print and Small Print variations for McGraw, Crawford and sometimes Mathewson. Does that refer to the size of the font? If so, what size is the large and what size is the small?

On the few copies that I have seen the font seems to be the same, but it seems the SGC differentiates the font on (at least some) of their slabs. I have seen a couple of cards listed as "Large and Small", but they look the same to me.

Thanks.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 06-07-2022, 11:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There could be differences in font but I am unaware of them. Somehow, I think whomever's catalog or list it is, might have been thinking about the T216 back differences (though they are not font differences). Maybe someone will know definitively...The few I checked online didn't seem to have different front font sizes...

Old 06-07-2022, 11:59 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There could be differences in font but I am unaware of them. Somehow, I think whomever's catalog or list it is, might have been thinking about the T216 back differences (though they are not font differences). Maybe someone will know definitively...The few I checked online didn't seem to have different front font sizes...

+1… guessing this is a reference to the reverse.
Old 06-07-2022, 12:29 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I think this is what you are looking for. Here are two Mathewsons (not my cards), notice how the name on the PWCC one starts further to the left (bottom) and ends further to the right (top) and the top of the letters are closer to the image. Also note that the Crawford card comes with the position with and without a space "c. f." & "c.f." I don't recall if either of these variations are back specific or not though. I'm sure Steve will give better, more definitive, info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matty small-crop.jpg (139.1 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg matty large-crop.jpg (85.4 KB, 152 views)
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-07-2022, 01:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I think this is what you are looking for. Here are two Mathewsons (not my cards), notice how the name on the PWCC one starts further to the left (bottom) and ends further to the right (top) and the top of the letters are closer to the image. Also note that the Crawford card comes with the position with and without a space "c. f." & "c.f." I don't recall if either of these variations are back specific or not though. I'm sure Steve will give better, more definitive, info.
Thanks DJ...in fact they are different. Learn something new every day. (*and I will forget soon after)...
Old 06-07-2022, 06:41 PM
Jerry Tate

Default Thanks DJ

Thanks DJ...Al, I tried to collect that set for many years and I wasn't totally sure what that meant...Jerry
Old 06-07-2022, 08:50 PM
Steve

DJ wrote a nice post to highlight the differences.

When it comes to captions in T216, the small/large font designations don't add much information, as each back will only be found with one font size, and this also extends to the position caption for Crawford.

The KNGO (thin paper Kotton) and VE backs will have the same caption.
The K123/KNIT/Mino backs will have the other caption.

I really enjoy the Crawford cards. Here's the VE.

Cheers,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T216 Virginia Extra Sam Crawford - SGC 10.jpg (178.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 06-07-2022, 09:03 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass_rat View Post
DJ wrote a nice post to highlight the differences.

When it comes to captions in T216, the small/large font designations don't add much information, as each back will only be found with one font size, and this also extends to the position caption for Crawford.

The KNGO (thin paper Kotton) and VE backs will have the same caption.
The K123/KNIT/Mino backs will have the other caption.

I really enjoy the Crawford cards. Here's the VE.

Cheers,
Steve
I think that Steve nailed it. T216s should be catalogued by their different backs. There is no reason to note the font size that is used on their fronts. As far as I know, there are no variations for a card within a specific back.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:28 PM
Rob

Here's what I have for McGraw (my scanner is down, will fix it soon)

Croft's Black
Crofts Cocoa
D303 General
e105
e106
nadja
T216-1 VE
T216-2 K123 in an SGC holder saying "Large Print"
T216-2 NGO/NIT SGC holder saying "Large Print"
T216-2 blank (according to Goodwin) glossy or type 2

To my eyes the print on the caption on all of these cards is the same.

As Steve has noted before, there are two checklists for T216. Type 1 has either a Virginia Extra or Kotton Never Go Out with no factory # or extra verbage. These are thin and non-glossy. Some of the team captions differ from type 2, but not between these 2 backs.

Type 2 are thick and glossy. The 3 backs are Mino, Kotton 123, and Kotton Never Go Out/not in a trust factory 4.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:30 PM
Al Jurgela

Default Thanks everyone... makes sense...

I do not play in these issues every day, so this was really helpful
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards