NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2022, 07:22 PM
Phil Garry

Default Colgan’s Chips Values

I would like to hear some thoughts as to why this particular set doesn’t seem to bring similar values as just about every other set from the c1910 era, of which there are many. The reason I ask, as an owner of a mid-grade Colgan’s Chips Honus Wagner in a SGC 4.5 holder with no significant defects, I consigned the card to a major auction house last month and it closed last night at $3,000 (including BP) which netted me $2,500. I bought the card during the third quarter of 2021 for $2,950 so ended up as a $450 loss to me and I thought I got a pretty good deal on it. Not the worst thing in the world but I have seen almost nothing but strong prices for nearly every career contemporary card of Wagner that sold at auction lately. This seems to follow a trend for these Colgan’s Chips as I have had similar recent past experiences with Eddie Collins and Tris Speaker. Is it the circular nature of the cards that makes them unpopular with collectors? I know they aren’t the most obscure cards out there nor are they anywhere near as common as T206’s and the like.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:57 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
I would like to hear some thoughts as to why this particular set doesn’t seem to bring similar values as just about every other set from the c1910 era, of which there are many. The reason I ask, as an owner of a mid-grade Colgan’s Chips Honus Wagner in a SGC 4.5 holder with no significant defects, I consigned the card to a major auction house last month and it closed last night at $3,000 (including BP) which netted me $2,500. I bought the card during the third quarter of 2021 for $2,950 so ended up as a $450 loss to me and I thought I got a pretty good deal on it. Not the worst thing in the world but I have seen almost nothing but strong prices for nearly every career contemporary card of Wagner that sold at auction lately. This seems to follow a trend for these Colgan’s Chips as I have had similar recent past experiences with Eddie Collins and Tris Speaker. Is it the circular nature of the cards that makes them unpopular with collectors? I know they aren’t the most obscure cards out there nor are they anywhere near as common as T206’s and the like.
Possibly because it is not a "true" card issue, and not a mainstream collectible. Same goes for things like S74 silks, BF2 Ferguson Bakery felt pennants, etc.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:03 PM
Phil Garry

Thank you for the reply, Bob. Aside from the round shape of it, I would think that the advertising on back makes it just as legitimate of a card as a Croft’s Candy or anything else. Those items that you mentioned are made of fabric and obviously wouldn’t qualify as cards, you are correct. I also don’t believe any of the TPG’s grade S74 Silks or Ferguson Bakery pennants but they all grade Colgan’s Chips cards.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

it makes Colgans an opportunity. One thing is for sure: the market gets to everything eventually. They will get their turn on the rollercoaster.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-05-2022, 10:14 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

For me it’s the round card, great images though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-05-2022, 11:09 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Thank you for the reply, Bob. Aside from the round shape of it, I would think that the advertising on back makes it just as legitimate of a card as a Croft’s Candy or anything else. Those items that you mentioned are made of fabric and obviously wouldn’t qualify as cards, you are correct. I also don’t believe any of the TPG’s grade S74 Silks or Ferguson Bakery pennants but they all grade Colgan’s Chips cards.
They are also printed on thin paper, not cardboard, like most cards are either. I agree they are a great collectible, and have quite a few myself. They just don't get the same appreciation (and value) since there is less demand for them as they aren't what is typically thought of as cards. Less demand = less value.

As Adam alluded to though, as other, more mainstream card prices rise, collectors eventually look to other more affordable options, like Colgan's Chips cards. Especially HOFers and stars.

I also like other oddball issues like the S74 silks and BF2 felt pennants. And you can get those graded as well. It is PSA only I believe that doesn't grade the S74s and BF2s. I know SGC grades them both. Not sure about Beckett. Had heard CSG grades the silks as well. Haven't heard if they're doing the BF2s yet, but if they're doing the S74 silks, I assume they'll grade the BF2s as well.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:01 AM

I have always appreciated that some folks don't appreciate the round shape. I consider them equal to other, more rectangular cards...they came in a round tin along with the product, are cardboard, and have advertising on the back to boot, like most good 1910 era cards do. My thought is no worries about my eye demanding sharp corners on these critters. However, throughout my collecting over the years, they have always been considered a step below other cards to many collectors.

But just like their squared off relatives, centering can be an issue...beware of imitations!

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e254flaherty 001.jpg (80.9 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg e254flahertyback 001.jpg (81.1 KB, 493 views)
Old 06-06-2022, 12:06 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've been buying them over the last year or so. Gotta love the Horner portraits.

Or not...
Old 06-06-2022, 07:19 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I like the look of the chips and at some point I am looking to get one. My dream "chip" is the 1912 e270 tin tops joe jackson.
But it is In my opinion a niche market for collectors because of the size and shape vs cards/postcards that have similiar shapes and sizes.
Also the pricing is a bit inconsistent because not many sell and the demand seems to fluctuate

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 06-06-2022, 10:54 AM

I am with ya thinking the Colgan's are undervalued. They have real actual outstanding photos. They are cardboard, doubt they are much thinner paper stock than T206. All the grading companies grade them. They are in short supply, but also are other way more spendy issues. The set contains all the major HOFers, nice. They were widely distributed, with candy, just like other issues. To me, they just ooze vintage. It may simply all boil down to the shape, I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ColganYoung.jpg (54.7 KB, 444 views)
Old 06-06-2022, 10:59 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

SGC definitely grades the silks. I have a couple.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:35 PM

Wow, that Cy Young is a winner.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:01 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Wow, that Cy Young is a winner.
+1
Old 06-06-2022, 08:06 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
SGC definitely grades the silks. I have a couple.
Yes, but they could do a bit better job though. Really inconsistent in how they grade them. I do give them credit for only grading the S74-1 white silks missing the backing as "Authentic" only.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:27 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Hope it’s cool to post this here but I would LOVE to add 1-2 hof chips to my collection if any of you are thinking of selling.

I think there is an Addie Joss, right? That would be ideal

I bought an empty tin about 6 months ago and need a card to add to it

PM me!

Thx

Jeff
Old 06-06-2022, 09:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I got my Wags in the dark ages:

I wanted it ever since I was a kid collector.

The stock is thicker than the thin stock Coupon cards. Feels about the same as a Zeenut. I have an Evers I've been lazy about slabbing, so I can compare various types by feel. Got a Tinker too; looking for a comparable Chance to finish the trio

These are the saddest of possible words:
"Tinker to Evers to Chance."
Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds,
Tinker and Evers and Chance.
Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble,
Making a Giant hit into a double
Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble:
"Tinker to Evers to Chance."

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-06-2022 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:26 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
... The set contains all the major HOFers, nice. ...
I assume you are referring to the E254 Colgan's set, inasmuch as you showed a very nice E254 of Cy Young. If so, I guess that you don't consider Walter Johnson to be a major HOFer, as WaJo is NOT in the E254 set. Of the three Colgan's sets, WaJo is found only in the E270-2 Tin Tops set.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:56 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default Tin top Cobb

Very undervalued in my opinion and the Tin Tops & Red Borders are awfully scarce… although the “Skydash” find of Tin Tops made them more attainable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B3F3D924-3628-4945-A3DB-06C4EBAB2CE0.jpg (183.8 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg A5C9B51B-E05A-40FA-824E-592246012E7D.jpg (195.9 KB, 384 views)
Old 06-07-2022, 04:23 AM
Howard Chasser

Default I don't mind

hanging onto this 1 and only PSA graded red border example till the market appreciates it a bit more! There are 2 SGC graded examples - 1 comparable to this one and 1 that looks considerably worse. I believe a board member owns 1 of those.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220227_0001(0).jpg (199.3 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220227_0002(0).jpg (199.5 KB, 376 views)

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:22 AM
Alex Tymchuk

10yrs ago no one cared about T205 gold borders, now they are as hot or hotter than T206s. Colgan's Chips are 'WAY' undervalued!!!
Old 06-07-2022, 08:11 AM

In my opinion, the shape and size of these disc “cards” is what holds them back in popularity and price and I think that will always be the case. Similar to diecut cards and supplements, the fact that they are not “cards” in the traditional sense, will forever hold them back; note Post cards, which by their own name are “cards” and cabinets, which have a separate and established following/cache and are more widely accepted, do not, in my opinion, suffer so much from the same shape affliction, but are nominally penalized as well.

I own one round card. I don’t like it. I bought it bc it’s a very rare Wagner. I did make a run at the round Thorpe in ML a few months ago, bc I collect Thorpe and it’s super rare. Maybe I would like to own a Joe Jax. But aside from that, I have no real interest in round “cards”, even Wagner, Cobb, etc., and I suspect that is the hobby feeling in general. It may change, and I hope it does, but I am not betting on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 325D5C40-F3E3-4230-82C8-2C66A22F6378.jpg (118.7 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg 35B1A9EE-A265-461C-B2F9-DFE6E24A7C8F.jpg (115.8 KB, 348 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 06-07-2022 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:44 AM
Rhett Yeakley

The Colgan’s Chips sets have always been some of my favorite sets.

The round size puts people off for some reason and because they are not square many consider them not baseball cards. That being said many said the same thing about Exhibit cards as well due to their oversized nature as well until somewhat recently so it is likely Colgan’s could have their day in the sun at some point it seems.

Here I feature my near Master set of E254’s:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6b44G_TUWUM

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 06-07-2022, 09:43 AM
Todd Schultz

One of my favorite sets--thanks for the youtube link Rhett. Would like to learn where you find the mylar sleeves you use for the binders.

Like Adam said, you really gotta love the Horner photos. My only complaint is the company's decision to spurn quality pitching, especially in the base E254 set (the E270s are of less interest to me). Like Val said, no Wajo. No Matty, Mordecai, Chief, Eddie, Marquardt or Willis. Still, the Cy is classic, as is the Joss, and multiple Waddells are a cool touch.

I really like the mix of major and minor league players--some very obscure-- and the round shape actually appeals to me. I picked this set all those years ago in some ways because I was looking for one that could not easily be altered--especially trimmed. I don't pursue them as actively as I should anymore, but they have always been among my favorites to look at. Here's a possible rookie and error card rolled into one:
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:43 AM

Thanks regarding the Cy Young chip. Sorry, didn't realize Walter Johnson not in set. And never, ever do I not consider W. Johnson a major HOFer, that would be silly. Come to think of it, don't think I ever have seen a Mathewson also. I remember the Skydash find - a lot of HOFers, even the Jim Thorpe!

Last edited by Touch'EmAll; 06-07-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:41 AM
Ron Skaggs

Default E254 colgan's chip

One of my favorite sets. Over 25 yrs ago a good friend Mark Macrae got me into these beautiful gems. From then on the hunt was on. Kind of like Zeenuts you need to look at them carefully. Their are font and size differences and ones like this. Always need to check the backs no matter who the player is for the E254's Alot of my Colgan's were purchased from the late Julie Vognar RIP.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 208222.jpg (115.7 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg 208223.jpg (62.3 KB, 326 views)
Old 06-07-2022, 06:45 PM
Chad

Anyone have a Clemons Louisville they would part with?
Old 06-07-2022, 07:30 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsst206 View Post
One of my favorite sets. Over 25 yrs ago a good friend Mark Macrae got me into these beautiful gems. From then on the hunt was on. Kind of like Zeenuts you need to look at them carefully. Their are font and size differences and ones like this. Always need to check the backs no matter who the player is for the E254's Alot of my Colgan's were purchased from the late Julie Vognar RIP.

Ron
Nice Flick (Toledo). Easily the rarest HOF card in the entire E254 set. Rare back as well!

Old 06-07-2022, 08:08 PM
rgpete

Undervalued and my favorite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lexicon 001.jpg (192.3 KB, 288 views)
Old 06-07-2022, 09:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Thats what I'm working on, Ronald. Very nice! I guess for now I will have to make do with these:

And don't forget

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-07-2022 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:49 AM
Mi.ke Que.vill.on

Default Cy Young Colgan Red

This is the only one I have ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cy Young.jpg (190.0 KB, 267 views)
Old 06-08-2022, 07:49 AM
Glyn Parson

I think the key guys are honestly
A good buy at current prices. They are a niche item but do occasionally experience a surge in popularity from time to time. One of the few things that it isn’t a good time to sell imho.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:44 AM
Daryl

Default E254's

That's a awesome Flick Ron. Been trying to complete the set for the last 15 years. The last 20 cards all common players has been a struggle they just aren't out there and when one shows up they can go for $500 or more. The one set close to being complete on the PSA registry is missing 2 cards. I don't know why but it is my favorite set. Daryl
Old 06-08-2022, 11:51 AM
Ron Rice

Default Colgan's

I like them too, and have a few in my collection.

Phil, I think the problem is the small size. There aren't many tiny cards that go for big bucks. The other problem is trying to flip a card in just 6 months. I see people buying in one auction and then re-selling in another auction a few months later. It's often not enough time to overcome the buyers premium and the tax you paid to acquire the card. Even if the card sells for 10% more than you paid, your net on the back end is a loss.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:53 AM

Default Colgan's

I am close to a NYAL team set. Having actual photos in my mind is much more interesting than the drawn subjects of T206, 205 etc.

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 06-08-2022, 12:18 PM
Ron Skaggs

Hi Daryl,
Like you I am down to last 25 with Waddell Newark only HOF needed. I have been blown out of the waters for these last ones when they come up for auction. Crazy prices for even the poorest conditions. I have had my list on the buy sell trade section for years. I have only had one fellow member reach out over the years. Here is my Wagner that doesnt fit in my album
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagner.jpg (203.1 KB, 235 views)
Old 06-08-2022, 12:44 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsst206 View Post
Hi Daryl,
Like you I am down to last 25 with Waddell Newark only HOF needed. I have been blown out of the waters for these last ones when they come up for auction. Crazy prices for even the poorest conditions. I have had my list on the buy sell trade section for years. I have only had one fellow member reach out over the years. Here is my Wagner that doesnt fit in my album
If I ever upgrade my Waddell (Newark) i will let you know. I am on my second go for the master set after selling my initial set many years ago. I am also down to about 20 or so for mine. That seems to be the major stalling point with this set.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:54 PM

Ron - The Skydash Tin Top Wagner - like Wow !
Old 06-08-2022, 06:26 PM
rgpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Thats what I'm working on, Ronald. Very nice! I guess for now I will have to make do with these:

And don't forget
I always liked and wanted to get the Tinker Evers to Chance trio, Colgans was the most affordable for me, but a year and half to complete. Nothing wrong with the T206s
Old 06-08-2022, 11:14 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That's why I've had them for 30+ years.

Or not...
Old 06-09-2022, 12:05 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
The Colgan’s Chips sets have always been some of my favorite sets.

The round size puts people off for some reason and because they are not square many consider them not baseball cards.
The square cousins don't get much love either, although I'm a fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ColgansBaker.jpg (199.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg ColgansChase.jpg (201.0 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg ColgansJoss.jpg (197.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg ColgansWagner.jpg (198.7 KB, 159 views)
Old 06-09-2022, 02:46 PM
Jeremy W.

Rhett- I really enjoyed your video. Very cool set with many variations. Between your previous set sale & what you have now, would you have completed the master set?
Old 06-12-2022, 07:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I like the Colgans but they just don't really look like a baseball card.
I have made many deals like you did....buy high, sell low...