NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2022, 11:21 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Default Needing some Legal Advice - Hoping to sell some KC Royals Boulevard Beer bombers

Slightly off topic here -

So I'd like to sell these two Boulevard Beer Bombers each commemorating the KC Royals World Series appearance in 2014 and victory in 2015. I was going to list them on Facebook Marketplace, here in the Kansas City area, locally. That way, someone could come pick them up and I wouldn't have to ship them since shipping alcohol opens up an entirely separate can of worms!

Question is, since they're both full of beer still (Which no one in their right mind would drink being so old), do I need to have some sort of an odd liquor license to sell these? Or, since they're collector's items, how can I part with these without getting myself into some sort of legal trouble?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

der.jpg
Old 06-10-2022, 06:01 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Bumping this one in the hopes someone sees it....
Old 06-10-2022, 06:51 PM
Hank Thomas

This post should be on the memorabilia side, but assuming there's a market for these, take them to a show and sell them to a dealer. Or you could list them on Craigslist and have somebody pick them up. They are collectibles, you don't have to worry about liquor laws. Caveat: I am not a lawyer, and in no way should this be relied upon as any kind of sound legal advice.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:22 PM
Ben North

Your best bet is to sell them locally. As long as you don't sell them to a minor you will be OK.

Last edited by bnorth; 06-10-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:30 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Hi Brian,
Hope you are well. Shipping alcohol in any form is prohibited without a license, even as a gift. 1st infraction is usually a written warning. I'm no lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-11-2022, 06:41 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

I've SAFELY shipped alcohol using FedEx. When I cleaned out my parent's liquor cabinet, my Pa had squirreled away some scotch for a "Special Occasion" which never happened...

I explained this to FEDEX and here is what I was allowed/guided to do.

You must first have a FEDEX Account and sign a FEDEX Alcohol Shipping Agreement. You will need to reach out to a FedEx representative for assistance, but it was NOT hard. Then, FedEx will enable the account to ship alcohol.

You will have to package it according to their standards, too.

It's a bit of a hassle, but it CAN be done - and I am by NO MEANS a big shipper!

FEDEX MIGHT have been in the wrong in allowing me to do this, but they DID let me do it!
Old 06-11-2022, 07:32 AM
James
James Kin.chen

I'm glad this question was posted. I have some bottles of Coors Brown Ale commemorating the day Coors Field opened in 1995. I was at the very first game ever played there.
James
Old 06-11-2022, 07:39 AM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Dont sell them to a minor...

also most craft beer in a dark bottle if stored properly is still very drinkable years later, there are some limited (once a year) releases of some beers that sell very high now.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:47 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

FEDEX will REQUIRE that someone 21 years or older sign for the package...
Old 06-11-2022, 08:28 AM
Mark

If you want legal advice and not just shipping advice, in most states it's illegal to sell alcohol without a license. Unless you're a liquor store, restaurant or a licensed seller the short answer is...you can't sell them full.

Now it's up to you to decide if that's a problem for you or not.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:47 AM
Ben North

Here is the real answer on shipping copy and pasted directly from the USPS web site. This is for normal everyday people and not a business.

422.11 Intoxicating Liquors
Intoxicating liquors having 0.5 percent or more alcoholic content are nonmailable. Taxable liquors (as defined by Chapter 51, Internal Revenue Service Code) with 3.2 percent or less alcohol, including those obtained under a prescription or as a collector’s item, also are nonmailable. The prohibition of the mailing of intoxicating liquors is contained in federal law (18 U.S.C. 1716).
Old 06-11-2022, 10:36 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Hey all! Wow, looks like I got quite a few responses here on the 2nd go-around!

To clarify, I'm definitely NOT shipping these. I would be selling them on Facebook Marketplace to someone local here in the KC area who would be able to come get them.

I was just hoping I'd be able to do that as a one-time occurrence since these are Collector's items and the actual beer is waaay to old to safely drink. Without needing some sort of odd temporary liquor license or opening myself up to getting fined or ticketed.

Thanks again for the responses!

Last edited by shammus; 06-11-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:54 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
Hey all! Wow, looks like I got quite a few responses here on the 2nd go-around!

To clarify, I'm definitely NOT shipping these. I would be selling them on Facebook Marketplace to someone local here in the KC area who would be able to come get them.

I was just hoping I'd be able to do that as a one-time occurrence since these are Collector's items and the actual beer is waaay to old to safely drink. Without needing some sort of odd temporary liquor license or opening myself up to getting fined or ticketed.

Thanks again for the responses!
If you open them and pour out the contents you can legally sell the empty bottles. Selling alcohol is illegal without a liscense and calling it a collectable doesn't make it any less illegal.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:01 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Hey Ben, hope all is well.

I'm a bit confused by two of your responses. Your most recent one above directly conflicts with your statement of "Your best bet is to sell them locally. As long as you don't sell them to a minor you will be OK." ....
Old 06-11-2022, 11:12 AM
Rob

I would give them to my cousins for Christmas, and say, 'I looked for LSU commemorative beer, but couldn't find any, but I did find these...'

I don't really see a lot of upside for trying to sell these. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:15 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
Hey Ben, hope all is well.

I'm a bit confused by two of your responses. Your most recent one above directly conflicts with your statement of "Your best bet is to sell them locally. As long as you don't sell them to a minor you will be OK." ....
It is 100% illegal without a liscense. Just saying if done locally you are taking less of a risk in the first post.

The fine is up to $11,000 and 1 year in prison. Will you get that if caught, probably not if you have a clean record. Also FB marketplace or any online marketplace does not allow sales of alcohol.

Last edited by bnorth; 06-11-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:20 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Thanks for clarifying Ben, Yikes, that is a harsh price to pay. I agree, certainly not worth the risk if the punishment is that severe. In truth, I really didn't want to take ANY risk at all.

I'll be taking your advice here and hanging on to these I think and not bothering with selling them at all. That was exactly the sort of clarification I needed. Much appreciated guys!

Brian

Last edited by shammus; 06-11-2022 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:23 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Send them and don't sweat it.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:42 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Be sure to include a hand written signed reciept and you should be fine.

Since all threads need more pictures. Here is the only known unopened bottle of Pagan Pink Ripple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rip.jpg (98.9 KB, 188 views)
Old 06-14-2022, 07:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
For 2 collectible bottles I agree. Just make sure whomever would buy them is 21 or over and I don't think you have a problem. Maybe an in person transaction.. But everyone has to do what is comfortable for themselves...

Old 06-14-2022, 09:36 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Be sure to include a hand written signed reciept and you should be fine.

Since all threads need more pictures. Here is the only known unopened bottle of Pagan Pink Ripple.
So is it still unopened? Just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2022, 10:06 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
So is it still unopened? Just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes, I took the pic right before I posted it.