NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-04-2022, 08:05 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Americans generally aren’t hagglers in the market place. Unlike a lot of europeans. We don’t usually go to stores and offer less than something is marked. Although I negotiate in the case of professional stuff all the time, I tend not to enjoy it in other contexts. Not saying I don't negotiate on higher end cards, but often times if something is marked $35 or $50 and it catches my eye I will just pay it. Guy selling it has his expenses, travel, etc. so big deal of I am paying $10 more than I had to.
Old 06-04-2022, 02:11 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954 topps View Post
When cards aren't priced, I consider the negotiation a blank slate meaning I can throw out what I want to pay without it seeming disrespectful at all. When a card is worth around $300 and a dealer has it priced on the front for $650, they aren't going to get a whole lot of offers because nobody wants to offend the guy and the gap is so large that any reasonable offer is way below asking price.

I get the dealers strategy, basically they want you to throw the first counter and maybe his target is 50% of the asking price but hoping you'll offer 75% of his absurd price.

Know your prices in your head without looking at your phone, take the time to study up before the show, review comps and even nice for the grade prices vs. avg. for the grade and pay with cash. This will get you the best deal possible. I often ignore asking prices, especially at the National when most cards are overpriced anyways and say for this example I can do $XXX. It's part of the experience, sometimes you have to pay up, sometimes you get a deal. Just know that when you find that perfect example of said card you've been seeking out for years, you'll never regret over paying.
Cash is key but it is tough on higher end cards. Not comfortable caring that much potential cash the entire show if I maynot buy something. Would rather pay with a credit card where possible but not sure how many accept caredit cards especailly with the fees

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 06-04-2022, 03:51 PM

Bring your checkbook and you'll be fine....nearly every pre-war dealer that has the more desirable cards knows all of the collectors that collect them and will readily take a check, even if you have to get a fellow collector to vouch for you, it's a really small pool of buyers and sellers. Very few are set up for cc's or will do PP etc, on any type of large transaction.

Unless you are buying Luka's or something of that nature, that generation's transactions are all electronic..

Last edited by sb1; 06-04-2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 05:31 PM
J0hn H@rper

I'd think that the bigger the show, the better off a dealer would be pricing his cards.

There's plenty of time to see everything thoroughly (and ask about anything) at the local VFW. But when there are endless rows of tables to get through, a buyer's focus can easily stay in a hurried daze that makes them more apt to keep moving past unpriced material
Old 06-05-2022, 05:48 AM
Jeff P

I don't mind if the price of something isn't on the front. But you better be able to give me a price in real-time if I ask. When a dealer says they have to look up the price, I'm most likely moving on unless it's something really, really special.

jeff
Old 06-06-2022, 08:22 AM
Michael C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Don't understand the problem with no price. Asking is easy.
At a show like the national - there are way too many booths to look at. If I have to stop an engage with every person, there is no way to get through the whole thing. I don't mind interaction. But is the seller going to look at me before he throws out a price (does this guy have money, is this guy wasting my time)?

Show me a price. Show me a starting point - or you simply won't get my attention.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:45 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Cash is key but it is tough on higher end cards. Not comfortable caring that much potential cash the entire show if I maynot buy something. Would rather pay with a credit card where possible but not sure how many accept caredit cards especailly with the fees
Just put a few Bitcoins in your pocket. Flip one if necessary to establish credibility with a dealer. If he says "WTF is that?", just move on.

PS - What's on the "tail" of a Bitcoin?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:24 AM
+0m J()rd@N

What other shopping experience do you participate in where there is no price indicated on what you are shopping for? Would you buy your groceries from a store that did not have the prices on the shelves? Or go car shopping at a dealer that did not list prices on the windows? Or buy your clothes from a place that did not have price tags on the items? Would you go look at a house without knowing what the seller is asking for it?

Why would you expect any less of a dealer for our little pieces of cardboard?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 06-06-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:17 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

What's on the "tail" of a Bitcoin?
The ass end of a market crash.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-06-2022, 09:40 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Just put a few Bitcoins in your pocket. Flip one if necessary to establish credibility with a dealer. If he says "WTF is that?", just move on.

PS - What's on the "tail" of a Bitcoin?
Frank, I imagine one would have to be dressed in a Zoot Suit in order to pull off the flashing bitcoin Schtik...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-07-2022, 10:20 AM

I agree one hundred percent on having things priced in customer view.

But one negative from this that was on full display last year in Chicago was:

"Hey Bro one of these ended last night for $6 less than your price (on a $500 plus card). Don't you pay attention to comps???"
Old 06-07-2022, 10:54 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by youguysplayingcards? View Post

"Hey Bro one of these ended last night for $6 less than your price (on a $500 plus card). Don't you pay attention to comps???"
Bwhahahhahahahaha........tell them that Ebay then tacked on Sales tax and shipping fees......
Old 06-08-2022, 06:26 PM
Jeff H

The last show that my son and I set up at I would say that 95%+ of the people at the show had their phones out at every table looking at comp pricing. If your cards are not priced near the comp pricing, they moved along quickly. Our cards were all priced on the front of the cards. We price our cards around 10% below comps on most cards.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:04 PM

If I go, give me a shout if you're meeting me for dinner some night after the show. beer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gif
Old 06-11-2022, 06:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by youguysplayingcards? View Post

If that was actually the case I might have just turned around and not even answered...