NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-29-2021, 08:57 AM
Bill K@sel

Default SGC/TPG Submission Question

I'm about to send in my first SGC submission in many years and wanted to get input from the board on whether I should leave any cards that are slabbed by either PSA/GAI/BVG in the tombs and ask for a cross-over, or break them out? None of the cards are graded very high, (2.5 or less). I'm thinking the only risk is SGC is more strict in grading and may not cross, or they send them back unchanged. All I really care about is having them in SGC; ideally not having a drop in grade, but really it isn't that big of a deal to me. Providing a couple examples.

Thoughts?

I appreciate the hive-mind of this board!

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Huggins Tolstoi.jpg (73.8 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg T206 Cobb Red Portrait GAI1_5.jpg (74.0 KB, 206 views)
Old 09-29-2021, 09:09 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

If you're not concerned about a drop in grade send them in the holders and choose "no Minium grade" on your submission form.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-29-2021, 09:18 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

I don’t break them out. I don’t believe that the grader sits there and downgrades a card because it shows up in a PSA slab. I believe that to be one of the “myths of the hobby “
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 09-29-2021, 09:24 AM
Bill K@sel

Thanks Gents!

Bill
Old 09-29-2021, 09:34 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

In those cases, where Fair is Fair at every grading company, I'd break them out if there's a difference in submission price. If not, doesn't matter.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:53 AM
James M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
I don’t break them out. I don’t believe that the grader sits there and downgrades a card because it shows up in a PSA slab. I believe that to be one of the “myths of the hobby “
I actually feel the opposite. Human nature and the way the brain is wired, I think it is harder to form your own opinion on something when you see an opinion from someone else.

If you are handed two of the same card, one raw, and one in a PSA 9 holder, your brain will subconsciously think about those cards differently. Also, if you are sending a slab to PSA that has subgrades on it (like BGS or HGA or CSG), if you are the grader and you see a card has a 9 for corners, you are going to look at the corners more closely.

I saw a youtube video the other week where a group submitter submitted 30-35 cards in BGS holders to PSA for crossover, and the rate was something like 5 out of the 35 actually crossed over, and 1 of those was a no min grade.

Every grading company wants to be known as having the highest grading standards. PSA doesn't have an incentive to take an SGC 9.5 or BGS 9.5 and cross it to a 10. Likewise, BGS has no incentive to cross a PSA 10 to a BGS 10, because a BGS 10 has more prestige and value.

If you don't care about the grade you get and encapsulation/protection is all that matters, then sure, leave it in the slab and have the experts remove it and re-holder it. If you actually want to get an "unbiased" review of the card and a grade, then crack it out and submit it raw. It literally takes 30 seconds to crack out a card with very basic tools, and there is almost zero risk to the card itself.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:06 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

That 0.5 Corners sub-grade is legendary! Never seen that before. Nice cards.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:18 PM
Tony. Biviano

How does a grader grade a card without removing it from the holder. Since it is going to be removed anyway, I would remove it .
Old 09-29-2021, 01:29 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post
... If you actually want to get an "unbiased" review of the card and a grade . . .
An encapsulation of today's industrial grading complex.

Strangely, one might think that grading of the condition of a card would and should be based solely on the condition of the card.

Last edited by drcy; 09-29-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

How many cards could a card grader grade if a card grader could grade cards?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:43 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyelm View Post
how many cards could a card grader grade if a card grader could grade cards?
lol
Old 09-29-2021, 04:03 PM
James M

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
An encapsulation of today's industrial grading complex.

Strangely, one might think that grading of the condition of a card would and should be based solely on the condition of the card.
I think my opinions on the whole concept of card grading really shifted in the last year or so, especially after watching PSA reveals from a guy with about 10k youtube subs who has been doing bulk PSA submissions for 10+ years. This guy knows junk wax in and out, has submitted literally thousands of cards and knows exactly what to look for in each set. And pristine cards with no flaws come back PSA 8s, and then some come back 10s and they look identical to the 8. You are really just at the whim of the guy handling your card for 12 seconds, what kind of mood he is in, etc. That feels like a pretty flimsy foundation to build your house on....anyway, I digress.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:46 PM
Bill K@sel

For me, the SGC slab is the best looking and it will protect my card(s) at the same time. My OCD doesn't like all the randomness of how my cards are situated with raw mixed with random TPG's.

I'm not in it for the grade as much as the display, protection and the ability to more easily liquidate at some point in the future if need be and not have questions abound about edges, authenticity, etc.

I'm not a big fan of the grading world, but I get why we have it and I really don't have much of a stake in the game given my collection is smaller and typically lower quality.

I really appreciate the insight on my question and I have my answer (i'll plan to break them out prior to sending in, if it indeed is easy enough).

I don't want this post to digress into a religious debate about grading practices or beliefs.

Thanks all!

Bill
Old 09-29-2021, 07:25 PM
James M

some advice, if you do decide to snap the cards out.

1. Buy a really cheap slab from the same TPG on ebay. Just the cheapest card you can find in a low grade, so you can practice on a card and if you go horribly wrong, you ruin a $3 card and not something you really cherish

2. You need a cutting pliers and a flat tip screwdriver, preferably one with a longer, sturdy handle

3. You use the cutting pliers to clip the top two corners on the card. You need to cut off enough of the slab where you see an opening that you can wedge the screwdriver into.

4. Once the screwdriver is inside, twist it and turn it until it is wedged between the two layers of the case, then gently turn and lift it up and the top of the case should snap right off.

5. Avoid clipping the middle of the top edge of the case, from my experience that can create a sharp jagged break down the middle of the slab, which jeopardizes the card.

6. The case pieces will fly everywhere as you clip them. I use a plastic grocery store shopping back to put the case inside, and I snap the case while it is in the bag, so pieces don't go flying. Also, if the slab is in a perfect fit sleeve, that helps too, it contains the flying pieces. After you've clipped the corners, you can take it out of the sleeve.

All told, you can get the pliers you need and a screwdriver, if you don't already own them, for less than $20. Experiment on one worthless slab first before you start cracking anything you care about. Good luck
Old 09-29-2021, 07:41 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Break them out....

I've had my fair share of SGC submissions. I would simply break them out and send them raw to SGC. Just be careful in breaking them out!

Good luck and nice cards!

Peace, Mike
Old 09-30-2021, 03:26 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
I actually feel the opposite. Human nature and the way the brain is wired, I think it is harder to form your own opinion on something when you see an opinion from someone else.

If you are handed two of the same card, one raw, and one in a PSA 9 holder, your brain will subconsciously think about those cards differently. Also, if you are sending a slab to PSA that has subgrades on it (like BGS or HGA or CSG), if you are the grader and you see a card has a 9 for corners, you are going to look at the corners more closely.
Perhaps, there is truth in this.... If a grader sees a card already is labeled a '7', then he probably has an idea it should be around that grade. However, I think the distinction I am making is that the SGC graders are not seeing "PSA8" and then thinking " ok, I need to be harsher than PSA, so this is a 7-7.5". that is nonsense. The reason why most slabs are getting downgraded on cross is because mostly older slabs are getting sent in. We all know the standards have changed, so if you send an old slab PSA for cross, it will probably grade down. and vice verse for SGC.

Quote:
I saw a youtube video the other week where a group submitter submitted 30-35 cards in BGS holders to PSA for crossover, and the rate was something like 5 out of the 35 actually crossed over, and 1 of those was a no min grade.
I believe it. In my experience, BGS overgrades. although I think this is more related to my response to part 1 above.

Quote:
It literally takes 30 seconds to crack out a card with very basic tools, and there is almost zero risk to the card itself.
I butchered a T206 common that I tried to crack from PSA using techniques from youtube. this was 1 out of 3 or 4 i tried cracking. I know most people do this easily, but based on my experience in a small sample, I won't do it again.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236