NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Default Satchel Paige Tulsa Oilers card

Posted By: Paul

Do any of you know if this card exists without the autograph? I'd like to own the card, but don't particularly want to pay for the autograph. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Randy Trierweiler

Paul, it does exist, both are very hard to find. The Paul Dean from this issue also comes auto'd and unauto'd. Randy

Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Administrator

I know this is not the B/S/T section, but if you ever want to sell the unautographed version, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen Turner

I am the person who designed the 1976 Tulsa Oilers set.
I was friends with the gerneal manager John Wallenstein.
I was the one who suggested to him that Satchel Paige and Daffy Dean be included in the sets.
We ran ads in The Trader Speaks where you could buy the set with or without the Paige and Dean card signed. We sold the sets either way for $7.
I have seen far more signed Paige and Dean cards than I have seen unsigned ones.
I remember when Paige and Dean signed the cards. I believe we had them sign 500 cards each. Daffy Dean did it in one night. It took us about three weeks to get Satchel Paige to sign the 500 cards because he would only sign a few at a time because it made him tired.
Oh well, those were the good old days.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Do you have any sets left for $7?

Old 01-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Like I said "THOSE WERE THE GOOD OLD DAYS."

Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Administrator

It is a great set. Was Satchel Paige an active coach at the time, or some sort of honorary coach? And what was Dean's affiliation with the team?

Old 01-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Administrator

I guess you could have called Paige an honorary coach but he did not suit up very often he usually was at the games in the stands. The Tulsa Oilers owner A. Ray Smith kind of took care of Mr. Paige because he had very little money. The summer of 1976 Mr. Paige stayed at the Saratoga Motel about three blocks from my house. I am a pharmacist and I worked for Skaggs and Mr. Paige would shop in my store. He would always come by the pharmacy and I would have to take him out and show him where the castor oil was. I never asked him what he used it for. He always had about 3 two pound rolls of J. C. Potters Sausage in his basket.
Daffy Dean's roll for the Tulsa Oilers in 1976 was that he was head of their baseball camps for kids. I didn't see him around the ballpark too much when the Oilers were playing.
Those were the good old days.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Hey Glenn, I know that name John Wallenstein. I grew up in Wichita, Kansas. When baseball returned in 1970 John Wallenstein was the GM of the Wichita Aeros at some point, correct?

PS, your name looks familiar too, I think I bought a 1963 Topps wrapper from you because it had Musials mug on it several years back. Randy Trierweiler

Old 01-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Randy:
Yes, I am probably the person you bought the 1963 Topps or was it O-Pee-Chee wrapper with Musial on it.
John Wallenstein was general manager of the Wichita Aeros before he came to Tulsa in 1975. He produced the 1973 Wichita Aeros set sponsored by the Kansas State Bank. In 1974 he produced the One Day Film Wichita Aeros set. If you check the checklist he is on a card in this set. If you have ever seen a set of these cards it was probably without the Wallenstein because he told me he kept almost all of his own cards. Pretty funny. In 1975, he became the Tulsa Oilers general manager producing the 1975 7-11 set and then the 1976 Goof's Pants set.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Glenn, you are right, it was a 1963 OPC wrapper! Good memory. Also, I had all of those Wichita Aero's cards at one time. Also had the 1970 set with Chris Chambliss. Do you know anybody that has singles of the 1976 Tulsa set? I'm looking for one common card. Randy

Old 01-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Randy:
The 1976 Tulsa Oilers set is in my opinion scarce. The only single card of the set that I have seen on Ebay is the Satchel Paige.
I don't know of anyone in Tulsa that has any singles only sets.
Good luck finding that single card. By the way who is it that you need?

Old 01-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Glenn, I am looking for the great Doug Clary. (I know people, BST, I know), I have him in my regular set, but I need one for my All-Time Roster in which I have a card of EVERY Cardinal to play at least one game since 1892. The Tulsa card is as close as I can get him in a Cardinal uniform. Thanks, Randy

Old 01-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator

There is a Gary Templeton from the set in an ebay store. I believe the seller wants $50. It is also autographed.

Old 09-21-2023, 03:16 PM
Ke.vin G.ray

I know this is a thread revival (back from the dead?) but I was wondering if anyone here had more information about this set, or by chance had any spare cards from the set? I just acquired a few of them, and want to round out my set while learning more about them. I've read the short stories in SCD about them, along with the informative posts above.
Thanks!
kevin
Old 09-22-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
Posted By: Glen Turner John Wallenstein was general manager of the Wichita Aeros before he came to Tulsa in 1975. He produced the 1973 Wichita Aeros set sponsored by the Kansas State Bank. In 1974 he produced the One Day Film Wichita Aeros set. If you check the checklist he is on a card in this set. If you have ever seen a set of these cards it was probably without the Wallenstein because he told me he kept almost all of his own cards. Pretty funny. In 1975, he became the Tulsa Oilers general manager producing the 1975 7-11 set and then the 1976 Goof's Pants set.
I have four or five sets of the 1974 Wichita Aeros, he is the most difficult single card to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74 wa wallenstein a.jpg (141.3 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg 74 wa wallenstein b.jpg (81.8 KB, 249 views)
Old 09-29-2023, 05:23 PM
Chris Eberhart

Both versions of the Paul Dean:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0AEA2155-9C82-4B70-BA14-66BBE2156DDB.jpg (127.4 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by nwobhm; 09-29-2023 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:13 AM
Ke.vin G.ray

Chris, those look great! When I looked at the PSA pop report on these, I think there was only one of the signed Paul Dean cards listed. So that's you, eh? Neat! I'm going to try to track down the rest of the set. If you happen to run across any, please let me know!
kevin
Old 10-02-2023, 02:46 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I love posts and threads that send you off looking for further info...

"Dean played several years of baseball alongside his better-known brother, Jay. Because of his brother's nickname, "Dizzy", Dean also had a nickname, Daffy, but this did not reflect his personality as he was considered quiet and serious. The nickname was mainly a creation of the press."

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post

I am the person who designed the 1976 Tulsa Oilers set.
I was friends with the gerneal manager John Wallenstein.
I was the one who suggested to him that Satchel Paige and Daffy Dean be included in the sets.
We ran ads in The Trader Speaks where you could buy the set with or without the Paige and Dean card signed. We sold the sets either way for $7.
I have seen far more signed Paige and Dean cards than I have seen unsigned ones.
I remember when Paige and Dean signed the cards. I believe we had them sign 500 cards each. Daffy Dean did it in one night. It took us about three weeks to get Satchel Paige to sign the 500 cards because he would only sign a few at a time because it made him tired.
Oh well, those were the good old days.

Hi Glen, do you have any insight on the photo that was used for the Paige card? Was the shoot staged specifically for this series of cards? I'm curious about the uniform he's wearing.