NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-15-2015, 08:10 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default Kemp's silly cycle and quote yesterday

Well this cycle is just so hard....since the discussion about it for a week, another incredible cycle is achieved, first one for the padres..

such a great team accomplishment...he actually almost had a second homer...

if you look at the MLB article , Kemp says Nolan Arenado asked him a 'tough' question about his last hit which was almost a homer.....'Would you rather it have been a homer run or a triple'

Kemp said ' I like home runs, but it was my first cycle...so I think the cycle would be better'

Lets continue to praise lesser accomplishments for the player and for the team.... why get a homer when you can get a triple for the cycle...sounds better for the team and the player...maybe he does stop on third if the ball goes over the wall.....lets get that triple?

anyway it only took a week for an actual sports event to back up what I have been saying...I know people disagree with me and everyone can have their own opinion but what I been saying isn't out in left field ....

I would of rather of had the 2 homers double and single...that should be more celebrated...more total bases..more rbis, possibly more runs and better for the team ..but that's just one guys opinion....than having a 1 in every category.....if the cycle meant nothing and wasn't celebrated, Kemp wouldn't ever of been asked that 'tough question'

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-15-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Dave

Mr. Buzzkill, paging Mr. Buzzkill, Mr. Buzzkill to the front desk please...................
Old 08-15-2015, 11:53 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Mr. Buzzkill, paging Mr. Buzzkill, Mr. Buzzkill to the front desk please...................
true..but the story is true..im quoting exactly what was said..
Old 08-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
true..but the story is true..im quoting exactly what was said..
.....and so what, he didn't hit a homer, he hit a triple. I don't see them throwing parades in the street for him. He's a trivia question, that most people will forget the answer to in a years time.

I'll be shocked if there's a single incidence in history where a player actually hurt their team by "going" for a cycle. BTW, nobody, absolutely nobody, hits a triple "on purpose".
Old 08-15-2015, 01:44 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
.....and so what, he didn't hit a homer, he hit a triple. I don't see them throwing parades in the street for him. He's a trivia question, that most people will forget the answer to in a years time.

I'll be shocked if there's a single incidence in history where a player actually hurt their team by "going" for a cycle. BTW, nobody, absolutely nobody, hits a triple "on purpose".
nobody hits a double on purpose either...........easy to say you would be shocked theres a single incidence in history where a player actually hurt their team going for a cycle....we will never know either way as many cycles were never achieved.......however there have been players that said they would rather have a triple than a homerun..such as YESTERDAY......they aren't throwing parades..but its celebrated enough that a player said hed rather have a triple than a homerun..looks like means more than nothing...
Old 08-15-2015, 11:41 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg capt.jpg (18.6 KB, 110 views)
Old 08-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Steve Birmingham

The single season doubles leader may have done just that, held up on sure triples, and made a few outs trying for more doubles, although there's some doubt about that being true.

Certainly not MLB level, but I have played some sports........

Aside from a couple years of LL baseball where I did nearly nothing - Three seasons of modified pitch and one of co-ed slow pitch.

I don't have huge power and run like.......lets just say there's people on wheels that are faster.

In all of that I have a total of 2 extra base hits. Both triples!

Each would have been a HR if hit on a different field. First was the one ball I've ever REALLY hit hard. Maybe 300? maybe not but for sure past the fence on any of the fenced fields we used. No outfield wall, and all I could manage was a triple.....

Second was hard, but on a line and made it all the way to the fence at about 250 or so. Hard enough to bounce back past the outfielders. Somehow got a triple but not enough speed to make it a HR.

Would I have liked a couple home runs instead? sure! But I'm pretty happy with the triples.
I'm happier with the couple singles + extra base due to poor defense (Yes, if you're just tossing it back in the really slow guy just might take second )

Steve B
Old 08-19-2015, 09:49 AM
Belltown Vintage

So Jake reads an opinion on the cycle straight from a MLB player who just did it, answering some of the questions Jake asked in his last cycle thread, and he STILL starts another thread bashing the cycle? This is incredulous. Is Jake trying to draw attention to the failing's of his own thought processes?

Jake - do you really think that your opinion on this is more respected here that Kemp's?
Old 08-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Jason Presley

In this particular instance, "helping the team" would have just meant a score of 10-5 instead of 9-5. Given that both scores only grant the team a single win, how does that extra run, from a HR instead of a 3B, really help the team?
Old 08-20-2015, 01:02 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
In this particular instance, "helping the team" would have just meant a score of 10-5 instead of 9-5. Given that both scores only grant the team a single win, how does that extra run, from a HR instead of a 3B, really help the team?
That's kind of an unfair assessment, don't ya think? I mean, we can always look back at any given final score and make these sort of assumptions. The goal is and always has been to score as many runs as possible. So, yes, ten runs would have definitely been better than nine runs because it would have improved their score. What if the home team would have reached nine runs and tied the ball game? Kemp and the Padres would have been glad that they got that extra run to help them win the game. Never leave anything on the table or take any team for granted.

It's been said many times over on this board...a cycle is celebrated because it's a statistical anomaly and it usually occurs less than a no hitter does each and every year....just very tough to achieve. But in the grand scheme of things, a two homer, two double game is definitely better than a cycle as it should produce more runs.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48

Last edited by freakhappy; 08-20-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:58 AM
Jason Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
That's kind of an unfair assessment, don't ya think? I mean, we can always look back at any given final score and make these sort of assumptions. The goal is and always has been to score as many runs as possible. So, yes, ten runs would have definitely been better than nine runs because it would have improved their score. What if the home team would have reached nine runs and tied the ball game? Kemp and the Padres would have been glad that they got that extra run to help them win the game. Never leave anything on the table or take any team for granted.
I get where you're coming from, and agree for the most part. I've never understood the "running up the score" complaint sometimes heard in a clear blowout. As far as I'm concerned, if one team is playing so poorly that their opponent can score at will, why not go ahead and do that? Bring your A game or go home. Still, more people will remember the cycle than a random 10-5 win. But as was said earlier, it's not like Kemp actually chose the triple over a homerun.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Mike C@.v3

Default Kemp's silly cycle and quote yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
I get where you're coming from, and agree for the most part. I've never understood the "running up the score" complaint sometimes heard in a clear blowout. As far as I'm concerned, if one team is playing so poorly that their opponent can score at will, why not go ahead and do that? Bring your A game or go home. Still, more people will remember the cycle than a random 10-5 win. But as was said earlier, it's not like Kemp actually chose the triple over a homerun.

In history, you are right. More people will remember the cycle than a random 10-5 win. But that's the point...we are very statistics driven, that we (and some players I'm guessing) want to see these "feats" rather than what's more important. I have no problem if a guy needs a triple or a double to complete the cycle and he tries to stretch to get one of those and is called out or safe. But if he stops at a base when he can clearly take an extra base, then that cycle would be tainted IMO. Play the game right and if an opportunity arises to achieve something special, by all means go for it...but don't cheat the game, yourself or your team in the process.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48

Last edited by freakhappy; 08-20-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:00 PM

Why not apply the same philosophy to card collecting? Since Babe Ruth was the best player of his generation, why collect cards of any other player???