NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-13-2015, 07:11 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default Refractor...what exactly does that mean

Forigive my ignorance on any cards after 1985...but what exactly does 'refractor' mean...is that just for Topps...does it refract light? I know they are special cards that were sold with the regular cards as inserts in packs...but just curious as to the name...they aren't called 'inserts' they are called 'refractors'...
Old 08-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Yeah exactly it supposedly refracts light.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:21 PM
Jason Albregts

Refractors have a rainbow like effect when put into light and tilted. They were a great idea when first created in 1993 because of scarcity and appearance, but now they are overdone and pretty easy to obtain.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:57 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

They now make set with up to 12 different colored refractors. Putting together a set of the /1, /5, /15, /25, /50, etc... is called completing the rainbow. The most valuable is the 1/1 Superfractor. Colors and rarity change depending on the product and the year.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:32 AM
Dan Bl@u

I tried to take some pictures to show what they look like, although it's hard to capture on camera. The first picture shows a refractor (Rua) next to a regular non-refractor chrome card (Herrera). You can see the rainbow effect best on the sides about 1/3 of the way up on the Rua. The entire card refracts as light hits it from different angles. The second picture shows a couple different types of refractors. Some refractors have patterns in them, like the deGrom, which is called a Prism Refractor. Others have colored borders, like the Betances. These days, the regular refractors and some of the patterned refractors might not be numbered, but the colored-border ones usually are. The Betances is #/250. I collect mostly prewar but the shiny stuff can be pretty entertaining sometimes, so long as you don't take it too seriously (like spending $10K+ on a Kris Bryant RC autographed refractor numbered #/5).

Last edited by Bliggity; 08-23-2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:06 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

FYI

'Refractor' means 'Rip-off' in Latin.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-24-2015, 03:34 PM
Bill Gregory

Here are a few from my Wily Peralta autograph rainbow.

The first is a base refractor, numbered to /499, the second is a blue refractor, numbered to /199, the third is the atomic refractor, numbered to /5.

Here's the whole rainbow. http://net54baseball.com/album.php?albumid=624

They don't show as well when scanned. But they are pretty nice.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-24-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Eric Perry

Beginning with a handful of Topps products released in the early 1990's, certain cards have been available which had a step added to the printing process that causes them to reflect light back to the observer and refract it (hence the name) into the various wavelengths of visible light. Think of a prism bending white light into a rainbow of colors.

In my opinion, it is tough to accurately capture the effect with a still photo. Two fairly common things I have seen which come close to replicating it are oil spots on asphalt and dish soap floating on water. Light reflects back to you; however, changes color depending on the angle from which you are viewing it. Diamond rings and crystals will also do similar things...tilt them one way and you eventually see red, tilt them in another direction and you eventually see violet. Along the way, you see all the colors in between. Tilt the “refractors” and you get the same results.

So, anyway...because the refractor cards are different, and produced in relatively smaller quantities; they tend to carry higher values. In a way, the collectors of modern material likely view these variations in a way similar to T206 collectors viewing the various backs available. I am not comparing the cards here...just floating an idea regarding the mindset that goes into paying extra money for the refractors.

Hope the explanation was adequate. Sorry if I wandered into the weeds a bit on the reply.

Best Regards,

Eric
Old 08-26-2015, 11:26 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I like shiny things and think the refractor finish is neat (Remember Pinnacle's Duflex technology? Sort of their answer to refractor),

Twenty years ago the refractor finish was scarcely added to make parallel inserts. Now it's added all the time and in many numbered variations.

The finish gives the card a sort of rainbowy surface-- like on gasoline, as mentioned.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
FYI

'Refractor' means 'Rip-off' in Latin.
lol
Old 10-15-2015, 04:27 PM

instead of making a 100,000 they make 50,000 and put some shiny material on the card then say it is rare by numbering it.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:43 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Forigive my ignorance on any cards after 1985...but what exactly does 'refractor' mean...is that just for Topps...does it refract light? I know they are special cards that were sold with the regular cards as inserts in packs...but just curious as to the name...they aren't called 'inserts' they are called 'refractors'...
As others have said the term refractor refers to the way the light hits the card to make it appear more colorful. They are inserts and rarer parallel versions of the original card.

The original 1993 topps finest refractors are still very popular today, and I hope to add a couple to my collection, probably just ken griffey jr and nolan ryan. They were my favorites growing up when these cards were issued, although as a 13 year old I couldn't really afford to buy any back then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93 ryan.jpg (79.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 10-15-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Ben North

The design on the middle card is called a super refractor because of the gold color and circular pattern. All other patterns/colors are just refractors. They look really cool in hand and are fairly easy to make. I like turning old cards into super refractors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantleX3.jpg (77.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 10-15-2015, 07:26 PM
Banned

just a way to 'create' interest in chase cards, refractor, chrome, gold, silver, parallel, platinum, whatever they think of next.