NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Brock

Default National: Memorabilia side

Hello,
I was wondering if i can get some input about the National dealing with the memorabilia side, is there much game used bats, vintage bats, photos, etc. or is it mostly cards. Do you find deals at the National or is it just a bunch of dealers who have high prices. Also it is worth spending $450 for hotel and airfare. Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 02:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

If looking at it from a strictly monitary basis, it's probably not worth the investment. There are no blockbuster deals or even low prices (from my experience, anyway...) Anyone who sets up a booth there is not necessarily looking to "give stuff away". It's very difficult to "pull a Brock" at the National (I revived that term, based on the Baseball Humidor he just posted).

If looking at it from a more global perspective, the National is a great experience, and a chance to see some terrific things in person... much different (and better) than viewing them on-line or in a catalogue. Plus there are opportunities to bond with other collectors and dealers, network, and make some great connections. From that persective, the experience is well worth it.

As far as game-used Bats, uniforms, autographs and other various memorabilia... there is plenty to see. Just no bargain prices, if that's what you were seeking. You really cannot put a price on the experience, as it's kind of a personal thing. If you like shows, it is the best one of the year, bar none. I can't go this year, but sure wish I was. Thanks goodness for the updates from Mike H. and Carlton's amazing annual recap!

Last edited by perezfan; 07-12-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Mike H.

I attend as much for the people as the show. Ryan Sims, Carlton Hendricks(sportsantiques.com) and I all met there 5 years ago and have become great friends and attending the show together since. From that perspective, it's worth every penny.

I always spend the $ I bring and do ok with prices paid, but I'm not buying the ultra high end game used pieces. I do MUCH better on ebay. The show is almost more fun once you have purchased an important addition or two and are left with just a couple hundred bucks in your pocket. Then you can slow down and comb through the amazing museum that is the National. I enjoy looking at the things I don't collect, asking questions of the experienced dealers, and watching people wheel and deal. Granted, there are a lot of cards, plastic football helmets, gawdy modern sports art, and a few jerky dealers, but overall, the memorabilia is terrific and people are quite nice.

Let's put it this way. I've never been sorry about the investment. Hell, some guys will blow $450 on a couple rounds of golf at a top resort and they still stink at the end of the day...ha ha.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:46 AM

You have to realize that the National has changed focus over the years. It is not really a place to get bargains anymore. Much of the memorabilia is priced very high and probably will end up in an auction catalog if it doesn't sell at the show.

I definately am going to the National, even if I am a low-end collector & can't afford to buy much stuff. After hotel, gas, food, parking, admission, etc,... I really don't have much money left for any memorabilia. But, I usually make the trip a mini-vacation as I usually go downtown for the nightlife. The Net54 dinner is easily the highlight of the entire National weekend. It is one of the most rewarding aspects of the being at the National. I truly enjoy meeting other collectors & dealers from this forum. GO TO THIS SHOW !!! You will have a fantastic time, regardless of how much or how little you find/spend. I can't stress enough how enjoyable the show is, especially meeting fellow collectors.

Last year in Chicago, I tried organizing a get together for vintage collectors on the Friday night. It didn't really work the way I had hoped, because most guys (if they didn't go to the Mastro live auction) flew into the National and had no way to get to the restaurant that I picked (which was a few miles away). It might have worked if I picked a restuarant across from the hotels/convention. Cleveland is actually worst in that respect, because there are no hotels and/or restaurants withing walking distance of the Expo Center, so I'm organizing anything like this I don't think.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:29 PM

Default Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if i can get some input about the National dealing with the memorabilia side, is there much game used bats, vintage bats, photos, etc. or is it mostly cards. Do you find deals at the National or is it just a bunch of dealers who have high prices. Also it is worth spending $450 for hotel and airfare. Thanks

Yanks, I understand about the gett'n there cost, but I recommend going. First of all, in collecting, the way you find great stuff is by turning over every rock. Are there deals or high prices?....There are both, it's a big chunk of real estate, I doubt you'd be disappointed. A bargain in a state of mind. Anyway you'll be in a target rich environment, and anything can happen, that is anything can show up. I've subjectively documented, measured, and photographed pretty much every good display piece that has been at the last six Nationals. I don't know if you collect the kind of vintage antique stuff I cover but at least you should get some idea what it's like. Finally, you sound like you've never been to a National...if for no other reason you oughta go just to see what it's all about. -Carlton
http://sportsantiques.com/2008natmain.htm
http://sportsantiques.com/2007NATION...tionalmain.htm
http://sportsantiques.com/2006national.htm
http://sportsantiques.com/05NatSCCMain.htm
http://sportsantiques.com/04NatStory.htm
http://sportsantiques.com/03NatStory.htm
Excerpted from 2003 coverage:
Today's written account of the convention address' forty-four items I found worthy of documentation. These are a mixture of the good, the great, and the phenomenal. As you can see, each item discussed in this article is highlighted in blue. To see the item, just click the highlighted text. Before we begin the tour, I'd like to remind readers I only shot the highlights of the show. The dealers mentioned had plenty more items in their booths. I'm only showing you what I considered the better display pieces.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I agree that the National is a great experience. I haven't been able to make it for a few years and have a family commitment keeping me away this year but Baltimore in 2010 is already on my calendar.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:02 PM

Default Ill be there with many Vintage Bats and other .....

sports memorabilia..Ill have several tables with a couple of other guys. As far as prices go most of the stuff is high but sometimes you cant put enough premium on getting to actually hold an item as opposed to seeing pictures of it. I love to both buy and sell stuff, but the most fun is getting to see guys I have come to know thru the hobby. This is the only time that happens. Our group will be one of the few tables with lots of vintage sports equipment and I wish there were more because Im always looking to buy. John Kanuit's booth is always a must see with many cool vintage sports items. My name is Herbert Thomas and Ill be with Chris Galbreath. When you see a whole lot of vintage bats from 1890-1930 you will probably be at our booth. I dont know if we have anything for you but we will enjoy the visit...come on by
Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default ok....so my 1 photograph....you can still find a gem at the National

I have shown this many times but never get tired of seeing it. It is much nicer in person, as they say. I hope photographs can fit over here.......Here is my 2 bit acquisition story....

Last year at the National I saw a gentleman that I barely know but he seemed to know me quite well. He was a very nice gentleman and asked me if I was interested in a photo he had? I said "no, I am more of a card guy UNLESS it is spectacular, as I had been looking for something to be the centerpiece on my office wall". We will have been in our house 9 yrs, in 3 mos., so things had not progressed too quickly. So he says he has this great photo but doesn't want to display it, in the open, as he didn't want all of the dealers and auctioneers to be hounding him. I happily informed him I have an auction business SO I understood where he was coming from . He reached under a table that had a cover on it and pulled the cover back. Both of us were standing behind the table looking into a poorly lit, cramped space underneath, and he says to me "kneel down here". I am like, what, we can't even show this thing in public at all? He says "nope", he doesn't want to tip anyone off. I said ok; knowing us collectors are a little eccentric, and kneeled down and saw a SPECTACULAR photograph. I had Corey S. look at it, who knows photos quite well (I only know a little) and a few other folks, and all said it was really nice. Another plus was that we knew the provenance of it (back to Nixie Callahan's estate) so I felt comfortable acquiring it and about 3-4 mos later I worked a trade out with cash and cards... So, you can find stuff if you look (or get it shown to you, but you have to be there) and I doubt if I got a bargain, but it was what I was looking for, and to me, as I look at it every single day, it was well worth it. So I say that you can still find stuff at the National, as I always seem to pick something up, but the highlight is always the people. And now the Net54 Dinner is usually my highlight, but I don't get out too much. I look forward to seeing and meeting everyone that can make it. kind regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornercomposite.jpg (73.3 KB, 178 views)
Old 07-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Graig Kreindler

mjkm90 - You mentioned earlier that there's usually a lot of gaudy modern sports art at the National. Do you have any idea how many artists go there to sell their work on average? This will be the first time that I'm attending one of the Nationals, so I don't know what to expect in terms of competition. I feel like most of the sports conventions I've been to have a lot of dealers selling lithos and Stephen Holland/Leroy Neiman stuff, not so much original artwork. Granted, I would imagine that they're more booths there hoping to hock memorabilia than art, but maybe it's not safe to assume such things...

Can anyone shed some light as to what I should expect to see in terms of artwork?
Old 07-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Mike H.

Art was the wrong choice of terms. Lithos is more accurate. Very little original artwork. A lot of the stuff generated in the 90s.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Graig Kreindler

That's definitely good to hear - I got kind of scared for a moment. Hopefully we can show some stuff that people have seen before...

Thanks for the clarification!