NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2022, 09:45 PM
Doug Goodman

Default Thank you Vin

Legend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scully Vin 1974 Dodgers no cred front.jpg (191.7 KB, 311 views)
Old 08-02-2022, 09:49 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Legend.
Ugh. Grew up listening to him on a transistor radio. RIP.

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 08-02-2022 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:49 PM
David M.

67 Years of calling Dodger games. Amazing. He had a great long life and will be remembered for many famous calls.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

"It’s a high drive into deep left center field. (Bill) Buckner goes back to the fence … It is gone. …

"What a marvelous moment for baseball. What a marvelous moment for Atlanta and the state of Georgia. What a marvelous moment for the country and the world.

"A black man is getting a standing ovation in the Deep South for breaking a record of an all-time baseball idol. And it is a great moment for all of us, and particularly for Henry Aaron, who was met at home plate, not only by every member of the Braves, but by his father and mother.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:55 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
I did the same. Living 100 miles north of Candlestick, often the best reception of the Vegas station (the only one I could get) was in the middle of the street in front of our house. I used to lay in the street with a pillow. The local police would ask the score as they drove around me on their nightly rounds.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
I grew up on the East Coast, but man those countless nights with the little transistor radio, listening to Senators and sometimes Orioles games and once in a while you'd pick up some superstation from FAR away. I'm not sure baseball will ever mean as much to the newer generations but maybe that's wrong, I hope so.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:02 PM
Kenny Cole

I grew up in Temple City, south of LA. He, Jerry Doggett and Ross Porter were my guys every Saturday. I guess I got spoiled by listening to the very best, because its hard for me to listen to some of the talking heads who announce today. RIP Vin. You were head and shoulders better than the rest.

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 08-02-2022 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:06 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I vividly remember being a Reds Fan living in SoCal, and going to Dodger games in the 1970s. Vinnie's voice would reverberate throughout Dodger Stadium from portable radios on all sides.

It wasn't enough just to see the game.... Vin's voice was needed to complete the Dodger experience.

Last edited by perezfan; 08-02-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:26 PM
Jim Caravello

The best ever - hands down - 67 years behind the mic….class act…

We need more Vince Scullys in this world….

RIP Vince….
Old 08-02-2022, 11:27 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I can hear him now.

"It's time for Dodger baseball! Hi, everybody, and a very pleasant, good afternoon to you, wherever you may be."

Class act, they don't make em like that anymore. RIP Mr Scully, from a diehard Giants fan.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-03-2022, 12:31 AM

Even though my Dodgers allegiance has faded over the decades, I have always felt I was blessed to follow the Dodgers in my youth, because of Vin Scully. Absolutely no announcer meant as much to me, just symbolized baseball, and I doubt his decency and understanding of the game has or will be duplicated by any other announcer. Thanks Vin!

Brian
Old 08-03-2022, 03:36 AM

Default Vin Scully

Some wonderful tributes for a wonderful person. The great ones continue
to leave us...sigh. Rest in peace.

Trent King
Old 08-03-2022, 08:38 AM
Mike

One of my favorites....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 1.jpg (36.6 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg Image 2.jpg (55.4 KB, 205 views)
Old 08-03-2022, 09:12 AM
Dave Carson

One of the great joys of the internet era and MLB radio was getting to listen to Vin Scully. More than once would throw the Dodgers on late at night in Indiana for a few innings to just listen.

In 2014 my son and I spent more than two weeks in Europe. We were in London for a few days and woke up early to get in the ticket queue at Wimbledon.

The Indians were playing at the Dodgers that week and I checked the score when I woke up in London - and saw "last night's" game was in extra innings. We listened to Vin Scully was we got ready for the day in London. Magical.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:17 AM

67 years. Hard to grasp. And being just so great at it and being such a great person. The best ever. RIP
Old 08-03-2022, 10:20 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

In a class of his own! I used to tune in to games I had no interest in just to hear him. RIP
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 08-03-2022, 10:36 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

As a lifelong Dodger fan, I would say Vin is my favorite Dodger. I wrote to him about 15 years back, he was always very generous with answering fan mail. Simply the best.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:48 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
"It’s a high drive into deep left center field. (Bill) Buckner goes back to the fence … It is gone. …

"What a marvelous moment for baseball. What a marvelous moment for Atlanta and the state of Georgia. What a marvelous moment for the country and the world.

"A black man is getting a standing ovation in the Deep South for breaking a record of an all-time baseball idol. And it is a great moment for all of us, and particularly for Henry Aaron, who was met at home plate, not only by every member of the Braves, but by his father and mother.
One of the greatest calls of all time as much for Vin knowing when to speak and when to let the sounds of the game wash over the audience. Another great call, Koufax's perfecto:

“On the scoreboard in right field, it is 9:46 p.m. in the City of the Angels, Los Angeles, California. And a crowd of 29,139 just sitting in to see the only pitcher in baseball history to hurl four no-hit, no-run games. He has done it four straight years, and now he capped it: On his fourth no-hitter he made it a perfect game. And Sandy Koufax, whose name will always remind you of strikeouts, did it with a flourish. He struck out the last six consecutive batters. So when he wrote his name in capital letters in the record books, that ‘K’ stands out even more than the O-U-F-A-X.”

Robert Creamer on Scully in 1964: “...as much a part of the Los Angeles scene as the freeways and the smog. When a game is on the air, the physical presence of his voice is overwhelming. His pleasantly nasal baritone comes out of radios on the back counters of orange juice stands, from transistors held by people sitting under trees, in barber shops and bars, and from cars everywhere — parked cars, cars waiting for red lights to turn green, cars passing you at 65 on the freeways, cars edging along next to you in rush-hour traffic jams.”

I was here early enough to recall hearing his voice pouring out of transistor radios at the stadium. Dodger baseball was narrated, not just watched, when you sat in Chavez Ravine.

RIP Vin. His greeting personified the man's grace and class:

“Hi, everybody, and a very pleasant good evening to you wherever you may be.”

The City of Angels cries today.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-03-2022 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Little roller up along first.

No, even now, I can't do it.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:21 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

To date, Vin Scully has been in the announcers booth for 4.75% of every MLB game that has ever been played.

218,400 MLB games. He called 10,385

H/t Ryan Spaeder
Old 08-03-2022, 11:23 AM

Later night games on my midwest transitor growing up. Baseball at its best, from the East to the West Coast. Even laerned some Spanish with the Yanks who I hated. But Vin always the best. He painted a picture like no other.

Even in the Love of the Game, 95% adlibbed. Perfect.

The best of all time -- bar none in my opinion.

Gone...God I am getting old!!
Old 08-03-2022, 11:35 AM
Hank Thomas

Has to be in the discussion of GOAT announcers. My top three:
1) Chuck Thompson
2) Mel Allen
3) Vin Scully
During my four formative years listening to the Nats on the radio, 1957-1960, I had Chuck and Bob Wolff doing the games, and I had no idea how lucky I was. Oh, those sweltering summer D.C. nights on the front porch drinking ice cold Rock Creek Cream Sodas and dying with every strikeout by my hapless Senators! I was a young Joe Boyd waiting for Applegate to come along. What I'd give for one more of those nights before I go!
Old 08-03-2022, 11:39 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdill2 View Post
To date, Vin Scully has been in the announcers booth for 4.75% of every MLB game that has ever been played. 218,400 MLB games. He called 10,385 H/t Ryan Spaeder
OMG! That's one out of twenty.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:16 PM

Thank you, Vin. The greatest.

1969VinScully
Old 08-03-2022, 12:35 PM
Jimmy

Thank you! really not a Dodgers fan, but what a staple for the sport of baseball over the years - his voice will be missed!

Jimmy
Old 08-03-2022, 01:51 PM
J@mes In.gram

I was born in 1958...he was already firmly established. And he just kept it going. I loved that here was a man calling ballgames that had been doing so since before I was born. Since they were the Brooklyn Dodgers. I just love that stuff. Made me feel like maybe I wasn't really that old.

Red Barber, Mel Allen, Waite Hoyt and Vin Scully. Best ever, and not necessarily in that order.

RIP, sir, wherever you are.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***

Last edited by jingram058; 08-03-2022 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:31 PM

My best Scully memory was going to Dodgers Stadium with my transistor radio in the 1980's. Even with my radio off you could hear Vin's voice throughout the stadium because of all the other people who had their radios on.

He was always a class act.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:51 PM
Carl0s Ay.ala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I can hear him now.

"It's time for Dodger baseball! Hi, everybody, and a very pleasant, good afternoon to you, wherever you may be."

Class act, they don't make em like that anymore. RIP Mr Scully, from a diehard Giants fan.
+1
a joy to listen with the radio