NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2022, 07:24 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Helfr.ich

Default The Rise of T206

Hello all,

I've been enjoying the board for a while just reading without posting. Thanks for all the info and discussion. I enjoy all vintage but especially T206.

I ran across the link below and thought I'd pass it along for the benefit of those that haven't read it. It provides some interesting history on T206.

Chris

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...f_the_T206.pdf
Old 05-03-2022, 08:58 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Nice 1st post......

Great read before bed! 50 pager on the "Monster".

Thank you!

Mike
Old 05-03-2022, 08:59 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Welcome Chris and thanks for the post.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-03-2022, 09:14 PM
David Kathman

Interesting article. I haven't read the whole thing, but it looks very thorough. I see that he thanks me and Ted Z. at the end for our research here on Net54, which inspired the article. Here is a link to my article on the first printed T206 checklist in 1941-42, from which he used some illustrations:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239973
Old 05-03-2022, 09:20 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Interesting article. I haven't read the whole thing, but it looks very thorough. I see that he thanks me and Ted Z. at the end for our research here on Net54, which inspired the article. Here is a link to my article on the first printed T206 checklist in 1941-42, from which he used some illustrations:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239973

Very interesting, so the writer, Cael McClanahan, didn't contact you for any questions to help on this "book"?
Old 05-03-2022, 09:23 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the t206 Club! In case you are unaware, t206resource.org and t206museum.com are very informative as well.

Start building your t206 set until you ran out of money. LOL

Chris

Last edited by chriskim; 05-03-2022 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:37 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
Very interesting, so the writer, Cael McClanahan, didn't contact you for any questions to help on this "book"?
Nope, he just used my posts here on Net54 as sources. Which is fine with me, since they're publicly available.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:58 AM

He has some great articles on his page historythroughcards.com
Old 05-13-2022, 06:48 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Hey guys, just want to clarify, I asked David's permission to use the information he posted and added him as a source in my reference material for my articles.

As I've said in the past I greatly appriciate the information and knowledge he has provided to n54 and is a great asset to the Hobby, thanks David.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:07 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
Hey guys, just want to clarify, I asked David's permission to use the information he posted and added him as a source in my reference material for my articles.

As I've said in the past I greatly appriciate the information and knowledge he has provided to n54 and is a great asset to the Hobby, thanks David.

Hi Ryan

Your "Rise of the 1909 T206" was very interesting reading. Well-written, and excellently researched.

And, I appreciate you acknowledging my research on the T206 cards.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 05-14-2022, 07:19 AM
Bry@n

Took a quick look - this looks interesting, thanks for posting it and Ryan, thanks for writing it.

One thing I noticed is the ghost on page 27. That ghost is a wet sheet transfer (WST) and could very well have happened in a shoebox long after the cards left the factory, so I wouldn't use it to illustrate the ghosts that happened during printing, which are cylinder impressions and are sharp images.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:46 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Bryan,
If the image were a WST then it would be inverted. Also, not all factory ghosts are cylinder impressions. I have many factory printed ‘double ghosts’ that are not ‘cylinder’ ghosts.

That card on page 27 is very interesting and I would love to know more about it as I have one similar, but mine the image is inverted and I think mine is a post-factory WST

Colton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Took a quick look - this looks interesting, thanks for posting it and Ryan, thanks for writing it.

One thing I noticed is the ghost on page 27. That ghost is a wet sheet transfer (WST) and could very well have happened in a shoebox long after the cards left the factory, so I wouldn't use it to illustrate the ghosts that happened during printing, which are cylinder impressions and are sharp images.

Last edited by nineunder71; 05-14-2022 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:31 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineunder71 View Post
Bryan,
If the image were a WST then it would be inverted. Also, not all factory ghosts are cylinder impressions. I have many factory printed ‘double ghosts’ that are not ‘cylinder’ ghosts.

That card on page 27 is very interesting and I would love to know more about it as I have one similar, but mine the image is inverted and I think mine is a post-factory WST

Colton
The Gandil ghost on the back of Evers is inverted but it's a little confusing because the front of the Gandil on that page is also reversed to match the ghost.

I think the two cards were probably stuck together back to front upside down for a period of time and then possibly soaked to separate them.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:10 AM
Jason Wells

I always love hearing about the unreleased Southern League T206. What could have been!
Old 05-15-2022, 08:00 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Thanks Pat

I was confused looking at that thing, but that makes more since.

Bryan,
Mea Culpa, nice catch

Ryan, thanks for getting back to me, I’ll send you some scans of some other factory ghosts

Cheers All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
The Gandil ghost on the back of Evers is inverted but it's a little confusing because the front of the Gandil on that page is also reversed to match the ghost.

I think the two cards were probably stuck together back to front upside down for a period of time and then possibly soaked to separate them.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:22 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post

Oh yeah.. that Gandil illustration was confusing. I didn't know what you guys were talking about until i saw the name field of Gandil
Old 05-28-2022, 02:32 PM
James

Bumpin to bump
Old 06-02-2022, 10:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Well done, Ryan and thanks for posting it, Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjh View Post
Hello all,

I've been enjoying the board for a while just reading without posting. Thanks for all the info and discussion. I enjoy all vintage but especially T206.

I ran across the link below and thought I'd pass it along for the benefit of those that haven't read it. It provides some interesting history on T206.

Chris

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...f_the_T206.pdf

Last edited by Leon; 06-02-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:37 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Ryan

Your "Rise of the 1909 T206" was very interesting reading. Well-written, and excellently researched.

And, I appreciate you acknowledging my research on the T206 cards.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Thank you Ted, I really appreciate that. I really wanted to highlight some of your work and accomplishments because they are very impressive.