NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-01-2022, 06:48 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Techniques and best practices for “DIY” card grading before submission

I’ll admit it, I’m a pretty terrible projector of grades before submitting to TPG’s!

I’m wondering if any of you have perfected or at least close to perfected techniques to evaluate potential card grades before going to the trouble of submitting to third-party grading companies.

Maybe this has been covered in other threads, but I don’t recall seeing one recently and I’m guessing others might love to hear from the most successful DIY graders we have out here!

Any tricks or tips (or even video or photos to share??)

Thx all

Jeff
Old 06-01-2022, 07:49 AM
Rob G.

Throw eye appeal out the window. Project the grade based on objective technical standards. Look and feel for creases, wrinkles, stains, paper loss, corner wear, etc.

Remove any bias of it being YOUR card - evaluate as if you were buying the card - as we tend to over grade cards we own, and under grade cards we are buying.

I don't submit, but this would be my approach if I were to do so. Good luck, let us know how you make out with projected vs actual grades!
Old 06-01-2022, 08:21 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Jeff,

I did ask this question a while ago here and got some suggestions.

Ultimately I ended up with the following:

An Original GradeMaster Card Centering Tool (eBay)
A blacklight flashlight (Amazon)
A loupe that has both a blacklight LED and a regular LED light 10x (Amazon)
A DS-3 Magnifier (Amazon)

So all this stuff above is overkill for sure, but I am somewhat anal too.

I rely on the GradeMaster Centering tool to get a really good idea as to how well the centering T/B/L/R both front and back.

The blacklight flashlight is to look for surface scratches that I cannot see with my nekkid eye.

The loupe with the blacklight lets me see any up close imperfections and any corner problems that I cannot see otherwise.

The DS-3 magnifier has a light in it as well and just serves as an additional aid.

I also have a 30x magnifier (oversize acrylic) that comes in handy at times. (Amazon)

And then, above all else, I hope the TPG sees the same things as I do.
Because frankly the graders are better at this then I am by a huge margin.

This provides me with data that I use to determine if I want to send a card to the TPG (exclusively SGC) to have graded. Ultimately their decision wins obviously.

And then there are some cards that I just do not care about and I just get graded regardless of condition. That is strictly my decision.

Hope this helps some....

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 06-01-2022 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:15 AM
Drew W@i$e

Jeff,

Whenever I think about grading, I ask myself these questions:

1. Why am I grading this card? What are my reasons? Value, authentication, protection, registry?

2. What is the total price to grade the card? If you care about ROI (Return on Investment), what will that be?

3. Will I be happy if the card is graded lower than I think (or given an A)?

I believe too often, collectors rush into grading and don't ask themselves these questions.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:20 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

If you are hesitant or question anything, dont send it. Tiny bump, indent, wrinkle, etc. 99/100 they catch it

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-01-2022, 09:37 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

IMO it really just comes down to experience. The more cards you have looked at to see why the card graded such and such the better you will become at accurately grading the card before submitting. If you have only looked at 100 cards, you're not going to have the same eye as someone who is looking at a 100+ cards everyday. You really can't cheat that experience.

Also graders are kind of like meteorologists, they can be off 50% of the time and still keep their job.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-01-2022, 09:52 AM
James M

do your homework on each card, look at it under magnification, examine it thoroughly, make sure to use a cloth to wipe off any fingerprints or dust. evaluate what grade you think the card deserves, then subtract at least 1 full grade off it. then evaluate whether or not it is worth having it graded. if you are sending it to PSA, you are basically pulling the arm on a slot machine. if you send to SGC, you'll more likely get an accurate and fair grade.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:04 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
Throw eye appeal out the window. Project the grade based on objective technical standards. Look and feel for creases, wrinkles, stains, paper loss, corner wear, etc.

Remove any bias of it being YOUR card - evaluate as if you were buying the card - as we tend to over grade cards we own, and under grade cards we are buying.

I don't submit, but this would be my approach if I were to do so. Good luck, let us know how you make out with projected vs actual grades!
Makes sense... yep, I can totally get the "owner bias" risk.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:06 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
Jeff,

I rely on the GradeMaster Centering tool to get a really good idea as to how well the centering T/B/L/R both front and back.

The blacklight flashlight is to look for surface scratches that I cannot see with my nekkid eye.

The loupe with the blacklight lets me see any up close imperfections and any corner problems that I cannot see otherwise.

The DS-3 magnifier has a light in it as well and just serves as an additional aid.

I also have a 30x magnifier (oversize acrylic) that comes in handy at times. (Amazon)

This provides me with data that I use to determine if I want to send a card to the TPG (exclusively SGC) to have graded. Ultimately their decision wins obviously.

And then there are some cards that I just do not care about and I just get graded regardless of condition. That is strictly my decision.

Hope this helps some....

Butch
Great ideas and tips! About to make my orders to Amazon... kind of fun new toys, too.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:19 AM
Patrick N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Great ideas and tips! About to make my orders to Amazon... kind of fun new toys, too.
I use a very simple lighted magnifying glass that cost $5 on Amazon. I don't think all that other stuff is necessary
Old 06-02-2022, 09:56 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
Jeff,

Hope this helps some....

Butch
Wow! What are you doing on this site?

You are clearly the only member here who is not a better grader than the TPGs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2022, 01:15 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Post clear images of the cards, front and back, and we will tell you what grades to expect.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:24 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I picked up this lighted (3 different settings) 30X magnifying lens off of Amazon this week for $8 and change, and it's a beast!! There was an identical one for fifty cents cheaper, but it didn't have a wipe cloth and carry pouch, so I dropped the extra four bits to live in high style...

maglens.jpg

Of course, as I was checking on the status of my order the next day, (as what regularly happens there) I saw the price on the site had increased to almost $20. Got it just in time, I guess. LOL.

ETA: The pictures were taken by me.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 06-12-2022 at 03:27 PM.