NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-14-2020, 05:13 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Default The Khumbu Icefall and Collecting the E94

I recently embarked on a journey of collecting the 1911 E94 George Close Candy set of 30 (yes, I was sober when I made the decision).
I’m also an avid hiker/climber and climbed my highest peak a few years ago, Mt. Fuji in Japan at 12,388 ft.

Now stay with me, I’ve discovered what I think is a parallel between the E94 and what I imagine climbing Mt. Everest would be like.

I set out to collect Mr. Close Candy’s offering of 1911 concentrating on condition and trying to get at least 3 examples of each color while building the set. I started out my journey searching for examples that I could find/afford and, although new to collecting this set, felt like I was moderately successful, much like the first day of a mountain climb where you’re getting used to surroundings, gear, altitude, pace, etc. and slowly working your way up the Mountain.

I was feeling pretty good, ready to make a run at it.

Now for those who aren’t familiar with the Khumbu Icefall Glacier, it lies at 18,000 feet just above Everest Base Camp One. It is a constantly moving Glacier that is one of the most treacherous parts of the climb where multi-story blocks of ice can fall at a moment’s notice, many climbers have never returned from the attempt. So imagine climbing 18,000 feet to your starting point, which is a feat in and of itself, then looking up at one of the most daunting climbing challenges you’ve ever faced. Following me?

I think John McGraw knew what was coming when he posed for his E94 image.

The E94 set of 30 is challenging to say the least, especially if one is focusing on condition. There are just not a lot of examples out there, the availability is scarce, not to mention the current price of admission is very high. There are a few collectors here that have spent years if not decades on the E94, which is a truly impressive feat of set building, color runs, etc. Now, while I don’t have years to devote to Mr. Close as there are many other mountains to climb, it is still a fun set to collect.

But Holy Guacamole!?!

I'm not even a third of the way up the mountain and I’m running low on oxygen, staring up at that damned Khumbu Glacier of a Set called the E94, questioning my sanity and my critical thinking skills.

I may have to stay here and rest a bit until I can catch my breath…

I’d like to thank member James Basch for his generosity and taking the time to share his knowledge with me, he’s truly one of a kind in this hobby, and member Steven Sadler for his words of encouragement on collecting the E94.

Phil Lewis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img078.jpg (76.5 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg img087.jpg (73.9 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg img088.jpg (76.3 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg img090.jpg (76.1 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg img089.jpg (76.7 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg img116.jpg (76.4 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg img085.jpg (77.1 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg img094.jpg (78.2 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg img092.jpg (78.6 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg khumbu-icefall-1000_kunda-dixit.jpg (80.4 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by Casey2296; 11-14-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:52 PM
Steven Sadler

Fantastic cards Phil! Slow and steady wins the battle. You are off to great start and your set will have a ton of variety in color and incredible eye appeal. E94s look even better in hand than most scans show. Good luck in your quest and thank you for mentioning me. As a hiker myself, that’s a pretty great piece of writing!
Old 11-15-2020, 07:21 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Great cards Phil, you've got a great eye. Best of luck in your pursuit of E94.

Andy

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 11-15-2020, 07:38 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Thanks Andy,
I'll email you next week about our other little project.
Phil
Old 11-18-2020, 10:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is a really nice looking group of e94s. Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I recently embarked on a journey of collecting the 1911 E94 George Close Candy set of 30 (yes, I was sober when I made the decision).
I’m also an avid hiker/climber and climbed my highest peak a few years ago, Mt. Fuji in Japan at 12,388 ft.

Now stay with me, I’ve discovered what I think is a parallel between the E94 and what I imagine climbing Mt. Everest would be like.

I set out to collect Mr. Close Candy’s offering of 1911 concentrating on condition and trying to get at least 3 examples of each color while building the set. I started out my journey searching for examples that I could find/afford and, although new to collecting this set, felt like I was moderately successful, much like the first day of a mountain climb where you’re getting used to surroundings, gear, altitude, pace, etc. and slowly working your way up the Mountain.

I was feeling pretty good, ready to make a run at it.

Now for those who aren’t familiar with the Khumbu Icefall Glacier, it lies at 18,000 feet just above Everest Base Camp One. It is a constantly moving Glacier that is one of the most treacherous parts of the climb where multi-story blocks of ice can fall at a moment’s notice, many climbers have never returned from the attempt. So imagine climbing 18,000 feet to your starting point, which is a feat in and of itself, then looking up at one of the most daunting climbing challenges you’ve ever faced. Following me?

I think John McGraw knew what was coming when he posed for his E94 image.

The E94 set of 30 is challenging to say the least, especially if one is focusing on condition. There are just not a lot of examples out there, the availability is scarce, not to mention the current price of admission is very high. There are a few collectors here that have spent years if not decades on the E94, which is a truly impressive feat of set building, color runs, etc. Now, while I don’t have years to devote to Mr. Close as there are many other mountains to climb, it is still a fun set to collect.

But Holy Guacamole!?!

I'm not even a third of the way up the mountain and I’m running low on oxygen, staring up at that damned Khumbu Glacier of a Set called the E94, questioning my sanity and my critical thinking skills.

I may have to stay here and rest a bit until I can catch my breath…

I’d like to thank member James Basch for his generosity and taking the time to share his knowledge with me, he’s truly one of a kind in this hobby, and member Steven Sadler for his words of encouragement on collecting the E94.

Phil Lewis
Old 11-18-2020, 11:04 AM
pete ullman

Great set...I used to have a complete set...now just a color run of murrays. Set is definitely condition sensitive...and if you're looking for specific colors of specific players you may be looking a long time.

Also...big problem is Bob M has them all!!!!
Old 11-18-2020, 11:11 AM

Anytime I see a thread about E94s, I think of the time I went to a modern card shop in Reno. I asked the owner if they had any vintage and he brought out a handful of E94s that he had just bought from a walk-in. Paid $100 for 5 including a couple HOFers. They were beat but who cares? That same day I bought a mid-grade T213-1 Coupon (Engle) for $40 at an antique mall. Wish I could bottle those days up.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 11-18-2020 at 11:12 AM.