NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Default Advice Needed - Spooned Card In SGC Holder

Posted By: jason

Hi guys, I just purchased a card in an SGC holder on Ebay. When it arrived I found to my dissatisfaction that it was clearly spooned (shinny areas over several wrinkles).

Is it acceptable for a grading company to give a card a numerical grade when it has been tampered with in such a way?

If, as I suspect it is not, and the graders have overlooked it, who do I go after the grader or the person who sold it (no mention about alteration in the ebay write up) ?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hi Jason- hope you are well. Why don't you just send an email to SGC and see what they have to say. That should work out.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Jason - give Michael at SGC a call - I bet they'd be willing to review the card and if found to be spooned, buy it back from you.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Thanks Barry & Matt.

I'll do that.

I take it then that it is not acceptable for a spooned card to receive a numerical grade?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

spooned? how can you be sure it was purposely spooned and not accidently dented in that area? I have never heard of removing a crease with a spoon. A dough roller, soaking in water but never a spoon. I actually watched a guy use a pencil on a T206 Plank back around 1983. That worked well to my amazement at the time.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Hi Dan,

I am pretty certain it is spooned. I saw this done quite a bit in the 80s before the grading companies came to the fore.

The technique is as simple as rolling the underside of a spoon over the afflicted area to iron/flatten out the wrinkles.

I am sure it is not just a dent as the card has about 5 small wrinkles on multiple areas of the card. The shining (by product of spoon pressure) to the surface only appears right on each of the 5 wrinkles and nowhere else.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

No doubt people have tried to get creases out with spoons. I have a Dockman Young with a spooned crease. As mentioned you can tell by the shiny area of the crease. If I were a grading company I would count it exactly like the crease was still there. Nothing has been added or taken away.....but that is just me and I don't know how they will grade such a card. I know they treat an erased mark, with an indention left, the same way they do the mark, as if it were not erased.......regards

Old 01-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

as suggested, I would give Michael Goldberg of SGC a call.
he has always been incredibly helpful to me and has top drawer discernment and judgment in these areas.
he is one of the absolute best in this business.

all the best,
barry

Old 01-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Ditto.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Interesting, I will try that tonight to see the difference. I have beaters I can destroy.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I bought this at a National about 7-8 yrs ago, raw, and it's still raw. The upper left corner shows a crease and in person the top of the crease is shiny. It is very obvious it has been "spooned".....

[linked image]

Old 01-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Isn't there a song called "Spoon Man"?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

soundgarden.