NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Default help with another auto

This ball is in a lot I am looking to buy and the seller does not know who it is
I couldn't find a #51 that matched the auto. Any help would be great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120908_173602.jpg (73.5 KB, 249 views)
Old 09-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Perfect game pitcher Dallas Braden
Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 PM

Default Definitely Dallas

HOF Auto Rookies is correct. This is definitely Dallas Braden's sig.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-08-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Richard Simon

Compare that scribble to say a Tris Speaker,,, shame these current players take such little pride in their signature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker.jpg (7.5 KB, 202 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Compare that scribble to say a Tris Speaker,,, shame these current players take such little pride in their signature.
I'm a Yankee collector, so I may be biased.. Mariano Rivera and Reggie Jackson have two of the prettiest signatures when they take their time.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

In most part I think most older generation players have better signatures, where most new players (in the last 20 years or so) have scribble.

You can probably chalk this up to penmanship not being a requirement in most school curriculum anymore. I hardly remember learning cursive in school (I am 26 now, so my generation would not have had focus on it either)

My thoughts, but yea all the old players autos are nice and you can tell who they are for the most part by reading them
Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
In most part I think most older generation players have better signatures, where most new players (in the last 20 years or so) have scribble.

You can probably chalk this up to penmanship not being a requirement in most school curriculum anymore. I hardly remember learning cursive in school (I am 26 now, so my generation would not have had focus on it either)

My thoughts, but yea all the old players autos are nice and you can tell who they are for the most part by reading them
I would also add that the computer age has completely changed everyone's emphasis on handwriting. I find my own penmanship heavily challenged as a result. I'm sure that others have the same experience, FWIW...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-10-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I would also add that the computer age has completely changed everyone's empasis on handwriting. I find my own penmanship heavily challenged as a result. I'm sure that others have the same experience, FWIW...

Well I hope your not like me and look at something I wrote a year ago and have no idea what it says :/
Old 09-10-2012, 11:18 AM

Default JimStinson

I'll bet when they sign their Major League contracts you can read every letter
Old 09-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
I'll bet when they sign their Major League contracts you can read every letter
That's probably correct...I know for the newer Bowman cards they have a facsimile autograph from the players' Topps Rookie contract, and those are scribbles depending on the player.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Warren Spahn has ludicrously bad handwriting, current prospect Levi Michael has stunning penmanship.

I think that this "back in the old days..." stuff is a bit off base.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Jackie Bradley Jr has a great signature, but now I think he does "JBJr"
Old 09-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

This was an article from last year I found. Pretty cool

http://goodmenproject.com/sports-2/sweet-sigs/
Old 09-12-2012, 05:22 AM

Default Warren Spahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
Warren Spahn has ludicrously bad handwriting, current prospect Levi Michael has stunning penmanship.

Cubsfan-Budman,

Although admittedly Warren Spahn's autograph deteriorated in his later years, I tend to disagree with you on this.

Here is an earlier version of his signature, a GPC from 1952. It looks pretty good to me, compared to today's player chicken tracks that they call an autograph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Warren Spahn 1952 GPC.jpg (6.0 KB, 98 views)
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Adam Phillips

Harmon Killebrew has a great sig. IMO. I must agree with others regarding the impact technology has had on penmanship. As an English teacher I must decipher their scribble. There are times when I can barely recognize the student's name. Mind you, this is print we're talking about! My students often complain of wrist fatigue when writing but a paragraph as so much of their "writing" takes place on a word processor. Also, Derek Jetter's sig is a train wreck!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrusRCobb View Post
Harmon Killebrew has a great sig. IMO. I must agree with others regarding the impact technology has had on penmanship. As an English teacher I must decipher their scribble. There are times when I can barely recognize the student's name. Mind you, this is print we're talking about! My students often complain of wrist fatigue when writing but a paragraph as so much of their "writing" takes place on a word processor. Also, Derek Jetter's sig is a train wreck!
As a recently resigned educator, I agree that Killebrew is one of the best in the hobby.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Default JimStinson

Reminds me of the John Kennedy & Jungle Jim Rivera meeting. Anyone that has ever seen JFK's signature will know what I mean. Goes like this, Kennedy throws out first pitch opening day. Rivera who didn't get his nickname "Jungle Jim" by accident retrieves the ball and gives it to Kennedy, and while doing so asks the President if he would sign a baseball for him. Kennedy does and hands it to Rivera who looks at it and says "Whats this ???"
Old 09-12-2012, 12:55 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post

You can pick and choose to find a handful of signers who do not fit the stereotype, but take any team-signed ball from the 40's and compare it to a modern team-signed ball and the difference will be striking. On the modern ball, the only signatures that you can actually "read" are typically the coaches'. The others, you just have to memorize their glyphs.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
You can pick and choose to find a handful of signers who do not fit the stereotype, but take any team-signed ball from the 40's and compare it to a modern team-signed ball and the difference will be striking. On the modern ball, the only signatures that you can actually "read" are typically the coaches'. The others, you just have to memorize their glyphs.
+1
Old 09-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

I just think its funny I can go on ebay, type in a person's name (Philip Humber for instance) and have no idea if the signature even spells the name right.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
I just think its funny I can go on ebay, type in a person's name (Philip Humber for instance) and have no idea if the signature even spells the name right.
Philip Humber's autograph is definately one of the worst, but there are many...
Old 09-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Banned

carlos gomez autograph is a joke.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Eric

Quick 2 cents, Ryne Sandberg may have the worst auto. in the history of written language. This is based on the last 9-10 years at paid signings, he may have had a better sig. in his younger days, I don't know.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:16 PM

Default ryno

That's true about ryno. He did have a nicer earlier signature. Funny story that happened recently regarding ryne Sandbergs autograph. I was getting Cal Ripken to sign my hall of fame bat with about 20 signatures on it as hes flipping it around he stops and stares at on in perticuliar. It is RYnos scrawl he stops and asks " who is this". When I replied that is Ryne Sandberg he says "oh boy I got to talk to him about that one"
Old 09-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFautosChris View Post
That's true about ryno. He did have a nicer earlier signature. Funny story that happened recently regarding ryne Sandbergs autograph. I was getting Cal Ripken to sign my hall of fame bat with about 20 signatures on it as hes flipping it around he stops and stares at on in perticuliar. It is RYnos scrawl he stops and asks " who is this". When I replied that is Ryne Sandberg he says "oh boy I got to talk to him about that one"
That's funny. I remember getting Ryno, along with about 13 other hof'ers, sign my HOF book in 2008. The only way I could identify his sig was through process of elimination. Seemed like a nice guy though.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:55 AM

Default Ryno the "trendsetter"

I recall having a similar experience like Mike.

I got Ryno to sign a ball back in 1990 or 1991. When he finished signing it and handed the ball back to me, I couldn't believe that that was his signature. I don't believe at any point before that, I ever had received an autograph from a baseball player that was literally illegible. To this day, when I look at it, I still don't know how you ever get "Ryne Sandberg" out of a sloppy "R", hump, hump, hump, sloppy "S", hump, hump, hump, loop.

Looking back, this was a watershed moment. Maybe, Ryno was a "trendsetter", or maybe "The Godfather" of all crappy signatures??

Just a thought:

I'm curious, what other first tier players, say 1990 and before, do you recall having notoriously illegible signatures?

It might be fun to post pictures of some of the worst. Current players should be excluded because this thread may never end....