NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2023, 03:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Unfortunately, ouchingly true. He is the updated version of Mr. Mint.

brianp(arker)-beme
Without the personality, but he does have a bigger variety of greasy sidekicks.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-20-2023, 06:36 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Goldin takes credit cards for an additional 3% fee so their BP is at 25% if one pays that way.
Looking back at my Goldin invoices I was never charged a credit card fee. Each invoice shows $0.00 for this.

Last edited by philo98; 09-20-2023 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:39 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I'm surprised they even take cards under $100 or so honestly. They're making next to nothing on cheap cards.

As to the rate hike, I am assuming they did it because they think they're the big dogs now because of the Netflix show. It probably has brought them more business, so they're trying to meet the increased demand with higher pricing. Whether that turns out to be a wise decision or not though remains to be seen.
I'm amazed how many PSA 8 1988 Topps All Stars and the like they fill their auctions with.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:47 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Is this because they're having to give more juice back to their consignors to remain competitive with the other Major Auction Houses???? Could be..it's business.
You think Goldin is struggling to keep up?
Old 09-20-2023, 07:08 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

The BP percent will not go down when the market cools and other Auction Houses will keep an eye on Goldin and if they feel Goldin is not losing consignments and sales from it then they will follow with increasing their BP percentage.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-20-2023, 08:27 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo98 View Post
Looking back at my Goldin invoices I was never charged a credit card fee. Each invoice shows $0.00 for this.
Their site shows they charge it now. I have never bid with them (because of their website design which I find too hard to navigate) and maybe it is that they used to discount the invoices for payments by check, wire, etc?
Old 09-20-2023, 08:45 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
You think Goldin is struggling to keep up?
Golden now has to answer to CU and the stakes are much higher, for perspective if they had to pay the freight on a $200,000,000 loan at 7% the interest alone would be north of $1.6 million per month or $415,000 per weekly auction.

Of course the pressure is on, CU paid at the top of the market with drunken projections for the future and a poorly designed platform.

Don't lose sight that Ken is a really, really good salesman and the CU gang were using OPM for their purchase.

It's an exhausting high stakes game that hobbyists don't even need to engage in, imho.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 09-20-2023 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Golden now has to answer to CU and the stakes are much higher, for perspective if they had to pay the freight on a $200,000,000 loan at 7% the interest alone would be north of $1.6 million per month or $415,000 per weekly auction.

Of course the pressure is on, CU paid at the top of the market with drunken projections for the future and a poorly designed platform.

Don't lose sight that Ken is a really, really good salesman and the CU gang were using OPM for their purchase.

It's an exhausting high stakes game that hobbyists don't even need to engage in imho.
This.

Or not...
Old 09-20-2023, 09:52 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:

It's an exhausting high stakes game that hobbyists don't even need to engage in, imho.
Imma go out on a limb and suggest that the weekly auctions aren’t paying much of the debt service here. It’s the premier auctions that are doing the heavy lifting.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 09-20-2023, 10:18 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Imma go out on a limb and suggest that the weekly auctions aren’t paying much of the debt service here. It’s the premier auctions that are doing the heavy lifting.
I'll posit the 2021 projections were generous at best. The business model was flawed imo at those heady levels. MJ rookies and the whole fomo all boats rise with the tide mentality took hold, when your talking about those corporate investment levels it's no longer about the hobby but serious ROI. I'm no expert thankfully, I'm just a collector but it's not rocket science to observe collectible economic cycles.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-21-2023, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Good post
Old 09-21-2023, 06:41 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I have no axe to grind re: Goldin. They are a board advertiser, and I have bought from them many times. I will say that their auctions, at least on the vintage side, have gotten real thin of late. Some of the weekly auctions are super unimpressive.

Everyone who rushed to weekly and monthly auctions should go back to 3 or 4 a year. Market has been changed and not for the better. It's relentless and waters down your product.
Old 09-21-2023, 07:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I have no axe to grind re: Goldin. They are a board advertiser, and I have bought from them many times. I will say that their auctions, at least on the vintage side, have gotten real thin of late. Some of the weekly auctions are super unimpressive.

Everyone who rushed to weekly and monthly auctions should go back to 3 or 4 a year. Market has been changed and not for the better. It's relentless and waters down your product.
When CU bought Goldin they quit advertising here. They might advertise in the future again. There is no doubt Ken has to answer to CU in many ways.

Old 09-21-2023, 07:33 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
The BP percent will not go down when the market cools and other Auction Houses will keep an eye on Goldin and if they feel Goldin is not losing consignments and sales from it then they will follow with increasing their BP percentage.
I predict all major AHs will now go to 22 percent by the beginning of 2024.
Old 09-21-2023, 07:41 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:

Some have posited that these weekly auctions are a natural result of the decline of eBay due to the newly lowered threshold for 1099s on that platform. I suspect that the weekly auctions have their place in this brave new world, although agree that most of the weeklies tend to be full of vast mountains of bargain bin items, which can be difficult to feel any desire to attempt to keep up with. Particularly because it’s usually not as simple as just setting an eBay search alert for when something on your wish list comes along.

1963 Post complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 09-21-2023 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2023, 07:51 AM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
I would predict Heritage would be the first to follow.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 09-21-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
For many years now, Heritage has been doing weekly auctions. I never really view them, and even more rarely buy from weekly auctions, but I think they (and monthly auctions, which groups like sterling and iconic have been doing for years) have an audience and legitimate value in the marketplace. They dont bother me at all. If you dont like them, dont look at them.

I do agree that the big auction events have been watered down. REA;s auctions used to be all the rage. They are still great, but dont have the buzz and chatter they used to have. Heritage has an auction every month, which potentially lessens the sensation of their platinum events. All that said, there is still a ton of great stuff coming to auction all the time, so i dont the its affecting the overall quality of material brought to the market annually.

Regarding Goldin, I have no issue with them whatsoever and have only had good experiences. That said, I am not sure i have bought anything from Goldin since it was sold - I think the website/interface is annoying and clumsy/non-intuitive and the auctions rarely have items I want. But if/when they have something that appeals to me, I will bid with them and i will do so with confidence. I have never consigned anything to Goldin and I am not sure i ever will- this increased BP makes it even more unlikely.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 09-21-2023 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:28 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
When CU bought Goldin they quit advertising here. They might advertise in the future again. There is no doubt Ken has to answer to CU in many ways.

Good to know.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:58 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Drew, I'll give it until the end of 2024.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:09 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I'd bet against this. I think each AH will analyze their situation (expenses, profit margin,) and make independent decisions. They won't simply follow Goldin like lemmings.

CU has a near monopoly situation with PSA and that registry. I think they underestimated the collective (pun intended) strength of all the other AH when they acquired Goldin. When you look at all the great stuff continually offered by the other AH, both the major and smaller ones, there's a ton of really high-quality items Goldin isn't getting a piece of.

In short, I think CU expected Goldin to dominate the AH space to a far greater extent than they are, and this price increase may be a reaction to that. IMO it will only give them a competitive disadvantage.

I would bet large that Hunt, specifically, will not go from 17.5% to 22% for at least a few years, if ever.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:15 AM
Val Kehl

Mark, I'd almost be happy for Hunt to increase its BP from 17.5% to 20%, provided this increment was used to acquire state-of-the-art auction software.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:24 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Mark, I'd almost be happy for Hunt to increase its BP from 17.5% to 20%, provided this increment was used to acquire state-of-the-art auction software.
LOL, I hear you! Their website, which usually has only one picture per lot, is as basic (primitive) as it gets. But, their live auctions (run by Invaluable) are great. I participated (in a small way) in the one 2 days ago. Very fun.

I'd rather have the 17.5% and basic website though, and I've found their customer service to be very good. Their catalogs are excellent as well - when they arrive, a quick perusal tells me if there's anything of interest.

Each AH will go their own way. They won't all follow Goldin.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Good to know.
When I posted my last message, concerning Goldin advertising here, I hadn't known about emails that went to spam yesterday. They might start advertising again very soon, in some form.

Last edited by Leon; 09-22-2023 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Some have posited that these weekly auctions are a natural result of the decline of eBay due to the newly lowered threshold for 1099s on that platform. I suspect that the weekly auctions have their place in this brave new world, although agree that most of the weeklies tend to be full of vast mountains of bargain bin items, which can be difficult to feel any desire to attempt to keep up with. Particularly because it’s usually not as simple as just setting an eBay search alert for when something on your wish list comes along.
What an outrage having to pay taxes.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:09 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What an outrage having to pay taxes.
HA.

I don't doubt that's part of it. Another part could just be the administrative side. I suspect most of us struggle to keep good records about every piece we have, and then report each of those individual sales and our gain/loss. Even if you only sell 1 piece each week, that's 52 sales to be tracking and reporting on your tax return. In some cases, your income might be little or nothing, so no real tax to be paid - just administrative stuff to navigate.

I'm guessing the average American feels like that entire exercise is one gigantic hassle that they'd prefer to avoid if they can. Plus not wanting to endure the administrative hassle it's a great excuse to feel better about yourself if it also happens to result in you paying less tax.

1963 Post complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 09-21-2023 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:18 AM
Dave

I believe Goldin issues a 1099 form, so no getting around that with them.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
HA.

I don't doubt that's part of it. Another part could just be the administrative side. I suspect most of us struggle to keep good records about every piece we have, and then report each of those individual sales and our gain/loss. Even if you only sell 1 piece each week, that's 52 sales to be tracking and reporting on your tax return. In some cases, your income might be little or nothing, so no real tax to be paid - just administrative stuff to navigate.

I'm guessing the average American feels like that entire exercise is one gigantic hassle that they'd prefer to avoid if they can. Plus not wanting to endure the administrative hassle it's a great excuse to feel better about yourself if it also happens to result in you paying less tax.
I suspect most people don't pay taxes unless they know they could get caught by a paper trail.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I believe Goldin issues a 1099 form, so no getting around that with them.
They don't send 1099s, as of now, but anything can change in the future.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:48 AM
Rich Klein

FYI: Mr. Goldin monitors this board very actively so rest assured he is digesting what is being posted

Rich
Old 09-21-2023, 12:10 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
They don't send 1099s, as of now, but anything can change in the future.

I assumed they did, because when I sold a few things through there from the vault, they deducted a big percentage of it for "withholding", until I provided my tax information to them.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:21 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Without the personality, but he does have a bigger variety of greasy sidekicks.
Too true. Mr. Mint only had Zubes, his Pancho Sanza, while Goldin has many dubious assistants.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The 1099s aren't the issue with eBay, the cost is. eBay has gotten ever grubbier, to the point where DIY selling there isn't worth it. Even when I had my store and my top-rated seller status, the combination of closing fees payment processing fees charged on the hammer AND the shipping AND the sales tax, and shipping costs, put me at nearly 15% of the hammer price OOP. Well, for 5% more I can send the same cards to REA for the Encore auction and avoid the time suckage of retailing dozens of items? Plus, no whining, no lost items, and no returns? That's a no-brainer for me.

Or not...
Old 09-21-2023, 01:14 PM
Michael C

I enjoyed Goldin's auctions in the past. I've won many times at reasonable price and I've had customer support issues that were dealt with quickly and professionally.

That said their auctions have gone way down hill as of late. I don't even look at the weekly auctions anymore because it is filled with 2000's base cards graded PSA 7. Also its not very easy to sort out 4000 listings a week.

I really enjoyed the monthly auctions from Goldin - much more so than these weekly things - which i think are born from the deal with PSA where you can send your cards to grade and then send them directly to goldin to be auctioned.

It has caused a whole lot of riff raff to be listed and lessened the offerings.

Last edited by Mrc32; 09-21-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:36 PM
Doug Goodman

The search feature on their site is brutal.

Try searching "m113" and see what you get...

Not sure how "2020 Panini Immaculate Collection Rookie Pigskin Logo #RS22 AJ Dillon Relic Rookie Card (#1/1) - BGS NM-MT+ 8.5" is among the results...
Old 09-21-2023, 02:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post

Not sure how "2020 Panini Immaculate Collection Rookie Pigskin Logo #RS22 AJ Dillon Relic Rookie Card (#1/1) - BGS NM-MT+ 8.5" is among the results...
With all the money of Nat and his group behind them, you would think it wouldn't be that hard to fix this?

Old 09-21-2023, 03:17 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post

Exactly one of the issues I had. There is no good way to search in an organized fashion and the when you do specific searches you get back tons of stuff that presumably has nothing to do with the search. Been happening on ebay too the last couple of years.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:20 PM
Chase

Quote:
With all the money of Nat and his group behind them, you would think it wouldn't be that hard to fix this?
Think it is intentional to put things in front of you even if you do not want them. You get what you are looking for as well as what they don't want you to miss.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Think it is intentional to put things in front of you even if you do not want them. You get what you are looking for as well as what they don't want you to miss.
Perhaps you are right, but it seems most people just get pissed off.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Exactly one of the issues I had. There is no good way to search in an organized fashion and the when you do specific searches you get back tons of stuff that presumably has nothing to do with the search. Been happening on ebay too the last couple of years.
Agree with you that ebay searches have been flagging extraneous stuff too, although it's usually not that far off, like if you search for PSA 8s they might throw some 7s into the mix. Not like Doug's example.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-21-2023 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:08 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Perhaps you are right, but it seems most people just get pissed off.
I tried searching "Ruth" & couldn't believe all of the lots that came up.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:21 PM
Dave

Search engines have gotten progressively worse on almost all platforms through the years. I run a couple of my own websites with search engines built into them, that I rely on through my web hosts, and 10 years ago I would have said I was happy with them. Now I have to give hints to people for complicated workarounds to get relevant results, that may or may not work…depending on what been fiddled around with lately in the guts of the engine.

Software in general seems to be getting less and less intuitive and innovative for the common user. I suspect it has a lot to do with large corporate entities in the tech world exploiting the practice of copywriting and patenting specific lines of common code, which attempts to keep everything in house, stifles innovation, and throws a monkey wrench into already existing platforms and infrastructure.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:24 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
I tried searching "Ruth" & couldn't believe all of the lots that came up.
Ruth Buzzi PSA 9 was sharp.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:35 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Ruth Buzzi PSA 9 was sharp.
So tempting.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

There is a set of cards I regularly search for on eBay, and over time my list of 'exclusions' in the search bar has now grown to this (in order to JUST see the cards I'm actually searching for):

-(dean, sheffield, calender, amberstone, usaf, losers, pottery, nasa, china, buick, saucer, rosemary, rainbow, caron, granada, baby, mclaughlin, relish, salt, billy jack, steel, license plate)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2023, 06:36 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Personally I don't care what the BP is, I'll bid what I want factoring in the BP to the total cost. My issue with Goldin, besides the search functions, is the request for banking information before being able to put in bids totalling over $10k. I'm not a high roller by any stretch, but I know my limits and if I have to come back multiple times waiting to be outbid to put in placeholder bids, forget it. In today's market $10k in bids is not that much but there's no way I'm giving Goldin any of my personal financial info in order to bid. I know there are others like me as well on this subject.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 09-21-2023, 09:53 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Too true. Mr. Mint only had Zubes, his Pancho Sanza, while Goldin has many dubious assistants.
I hate to be a nitpicker, but as a Lit major in college, I am obligated to point out that Don Quixote's sidekick was Sancho Panza.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:39 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
I hate to be a nitpicker, but as a Lit major in college, I am obligated to point out that Don Quixote's sidekick was Sancho Panza.
Pancho Sanza?

Forget it, he's rolling.

Or not...
Old 09-21-2023, 10:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Personally I don't care what the BP is, I'll bid what I want factoring in the BP to the total cost.
It isn't about the bidders--they are irrelevant--it is about setting a higher baseline for Goldin's share of consignors' money.

Or not...
Old 09-21-2023, 11:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
I like him. I really like him.

Old 09-22-2023, 12:17 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
I'd take the under on that bet