NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Matt & Barry, I saw both of the auction lots you are describing. I ended up winning the McQuillen lot, and we were hoping we would be able to pick up the Topeka cabinet at a VERY reasonable price, but alas the Topeka was obviously seen by a few of the Old Judge guys so it took off into the wee hours of the morning.

I wouldn't have even noticed the McQuillen had it not included two Zeenut cards in the lot, the lot was kinda high rather earlier this week for what it was and that is when I took a closer look at the cards wondering what I was missing, and saw the "Cincinnati" team for McQuillen.

-Rhett
What are the odds? You were one of the 4 people in the chat room last night when I pointed out the McQuillan in that lot; glad you had found it on your own previously. Congrats on the pickup.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Barry Sloate

Rhett- I bid the $1200 on the McQuillen lot, sorry to have run you up.

Besides the Topeka photo, Harry Stovey was in the New Bedford cabinet. Don't you think that should have been mentioned in the description?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Matt, I sweated it a little bit when I saw you were talking about the McQuillen as I thought it might prompt someone else to jump into the mix, and the $1300 was my max I was going to go on the lot. I was actually in the chat room to see what people may have been chatting about, and to see if those two items were being discussed.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Barry, as soon as Rhys saw the New Bedford cabinet (which is where Stovey lived for most of his life) he immediately id'ed Stovey in the back row. Both great cabinet cards that wouldn't have been hard to identify better. Ultimately, I was really surprised about the price on the lot, but there were 2 quality photos there.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 08-27-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Jerry
Jer.ry Fic.chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Jerry (?)

I can't speak to their servers, but it is a two-day auction. Perhaps it showed 1+ days because you were looking at "day 2" auctions?

James

That's what I had initially thought, that I had the wrong night for the lots I was interested in, but that wasn't the case. The time remaining changed, twice that I saw, from under 30 minutes to 1+ days. It occurred on two lots I was interested in that did close last night.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

"It's not a shell game where we said, 'Let's close this company and start a new one,' " Allen said. "It's not that."

Announcer: And now, a message from Pathological Liars Anonymous:

Hello, my name is Doug Allen, and I'm a member of Pathological Liars Anonymous. In fact.. I'm the president of the organization!

I didn't always lie. No, when I was a kid, I told the truth. But then one day, I got caught sending consigned cards to people without payment. I lied. I told everyone that it was the bank's fault. And people bought it! Yeah, that's what happened!

After that, lying was easy for me. I told the consignors that Mastro isn't filing bankruptcy. They're not insolvent. They just have liquidity issues. Yeah, that's the ticket!

I even started telling people that Legendary Auctions is not responsible for Mastro's debts. Legendary, I said, is a completely separate entity!

It was a woman that brought me out of it - Indira Gandhi! Yeah, right.. And she told me about Pathological Liars Anonymous. Oh, you'd be surprised how many famous people belong. In fact.. at one of the meetings I met my wife - Morgan Fairchild! Yes, I'm a changed man now, and all because of Pathological Liars Anonymous. Why, I - I even have my picture on the cover of Beckett magazine. Yeah. Every day! Yeah.. that's the ticket! Yeah, you betcha!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-29-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:41 PM

2 questions:

Has Turtleguy gotten paid yet?
Has Forman been served yet?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Jim VB

I bet you're going 0 for 2 on those questions.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Andy Palmer

Geez, this thread is still going?

V357 1933 WWG Ice Kings Hockey
1921 Exhibits Babe Ruth & Walter Johnson
Greg Maddux PSA 10 Cannon
Pedro Martinez PSA 10 1992 Leaf Gold Insert
Old 08-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Yeah and you just bumped it back to the top...
Old 08-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Turtleguy has the patience of a turtle,or so it seems.No payment yet.Don't know about Forman getting served.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
If we are going to lambaste a company lets at least get the facts straight. I got this message from Doug this morning

"A prominant dealer bid 21k and the reserve was met and it sold as detailed on the site."

thanks......
The above is post from another thread. Maybe if Doug calls Leon again, he can inquire.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Turtle, I'm sure you just think you haven't been paid yet. Your interactions with a great guy such as Doug will prove more valuable than money over the years. Now if you're smart you'll spend that spiritual capital you've received in the upcoming Goodwin auction and let another great guy take care of you. Word of advice, however: stay away from mid-50s and 60s PSA 8 or 9 cards that are a dime a dozen -- they tend to go for 2 or 3 times previous sales in that great guy's auction.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:48 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

When I was a kid (a million years ago) people used to sign albums for each other at graduation time. When you signed you sometimes wrote cute little poems. One was

Good, better, best
Never let it rest
Till good is better
And better is best

Does that also pertain to good guys becoming great guys?
Old 08-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Richard Simon

Default What a hobby/business!!!!!

All these great guys, what a fun, pleasurable time they all give to us.
It is so gratifying to see all these great guys,,, turtle too bad you aren't a "great" guy too.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

In the vintage baseball cards/memorabilia the world is split up into two distinct groups:

Good Guys: those that dutifully send in their checks following completed auctions; and

Great Guys: those that happily accept those checks and still rip off the Good Guys.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Turtle, I'm sure you just think you haven't been paid yet. Your interactions with a great guy such as Doug will prove more valuable than money over the years. Now if you're smart you'll spend that spiritual capital you've received in the upcoming Goodwin auction and let another great guy take care of you. Word of advice, however: stay away from mid-50s and 60s PSA 8 or 9 cards that are a dime a dozen -- they tend to go for 2 or 3 times previous sales in that great guy's auction.
Maybe we have a perfect storm of great guys -- Scott Scissors consigning 50's and 60's 8s and 9s to Bill, who sells them for record prices.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-29-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
In the vintage baseball cards/memorabilia the world is split up into two distinct groups:

Good Guys: those that dutifully send in their checks following completed auctions; and

Great Guys: those that happily accept those checks and still rip off the Good Guys.
Jeff,

Where do you put the guys who dutifully send in their cards, to be auctioned off by the great guys, and then accept the fact that the good guys have paid the great guys but the great guys aren't sharing that money? There needs to be a special place for those guys.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Calvindog,I'm going to put on some old rerun shows of the Johnny Carson show Who (whom) Do You Trust?In this business,there aren't many you can trust.
Thanks for the reply even though I seem to remember you beating me on many ebay quality cards.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Jeff

Quote:

"These are theiir stories."
Old 08-29-2009, 07:16 PM

Law and Order - Sports Card Investigators Unit.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 PM
David

Funny how that Doug Allen is on this board correcting facts about reserves/no reserves and who bid/didn't bid on his auctions. Guy shows up faster than a termite on wood.

But... poor Turtle is forced to sit here with his head in his shell with nothing, no comments, nothing, just ignored. Oh wait, not ignored, Doug Allen did give him a nice sob story about why he isn't being paid.

Last edited by daviddbreadman; 08-29-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:58 AM
JEFF VER.RIER

Post / opinion no longer available

Last edited by JEFFV96MASTERS; 09-14-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Default a update from the Chicago Tribune

I started this thread because of a article that appeared in the Chicago Tribune a few weeks back. I read today that there is a resolution at least to the person that was mentioned in the original article. Look all the way down to the bottom of the column

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...7557573.column
Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I started this thread because of a article that appeared in the Chicago Tribune a few weeks back. I read today that there is a resolution at least to the person that was mentioned in the original article. Look all the way down to the bottom of the column

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...7557573.column
WOW! Glad to hear it. Didn't see that coming.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:41 AM
David

I wonder where this mysterious money comes from when Mastro decides it can suddenly cut people checks when they go to the press????
Old 09-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

David maybe Legendary is continuing to make payments for their arms' length purchase of Mastro's assets.