NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Banned

Default Drama......

In all seriousness i really do not get it. Doug and these guys are easily found. If this dude owed me money it would have been collected at the National. In my opinion they are just waiting to see if some of the consignors just go away so they can get out of paying. I strolled by Doug and the boys on several occasions and they looked at ease in my opinion as if they had no worries in the world.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Marsh View Post
. I strolled by Doug and the boys on several occasions and they looked at ease in my opinion as if they had no worries in the world.
Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.
That proverb has rung true for centuries, whether it's shekels, dollars, or vintage baseball cards.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

If Silk Road Equity's website is to be believed, it is a firm with substantial capital. One would think a sounder business strategy would have been to inject the cash necessary to pay off consignors (could it have been THAT much?), rather than to leave them unpaid, and generate a tremendous amount of bad will by insisting they aren't Legendary's problem.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Peter, you're forgetting the Mastro Rules of Conduct which are tattooed on every employee's arm upon hiring:

1) Money goes in, not out;

2) Lie always (even when unnecessary -- sometimes you just need to practice);

3) Leak lawsuits to the press to avoid questions about 1);

3) See 1) to 3).

Last edited by calvindog; 08-07-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Peter Spaeth

"We typically make $1 million to $20 million equity investments, alone or as part of a syndicate, and can go much higher given our stable of relationships with institutional investors. Our financial strength gives us the flexibility to provide follow up rounds of funding and support your business through differing market conditions."

Hmmmm..... one would think.... oh well.......
Old 08-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Mike DeNero

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Of which Doug is the President. But he claims that he's not responsible for paying any of Mastro's debts off.
I hate to keep beating a dead horse here, but does anyone know (rather than speculate) what Doug's ownership stake in Mastro/Ketap is/was and what it is in Legendary?

Last edited by mikedenero; 09-03-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

The issue is not really piercing the veil to get to Doug individually, in my opinion, but rather, whether Legendary (the ongoing business) is liable for Mastro's debts on an alter ego and/or fraudulent conveyance theory.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

"As far as I can tell, your entire enterprise is nothing more than a solitary man with a messy apartment, which may or may not contain a chicken!"

"And with Darren’s help, we’ll get that chicken."

Rob, Thanks for getting me thinking.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
I agree that most houses will laugh off any attempted bidder boycott. But not paying consignors, and a subsequent consignor boycott, will catch up to them much faster.
That seems to be the issue. It doesn't sound like buyers never received their cards, but consignors didn't get the cash.

So it's safe to buy but not to consign, apparently.

Who then, would consign anything of significant value to them without a significant cash advance?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
"As far as I can tell, your entire enterprise is nothing more than a solitary man with a messy apartment, which may or may not contain a chicken!"

"And with Darren’s help, we’ll get that chicken."

Rob, Thanks for getting me thinking.

"You know Darren, if you would have told me twenty-five years ago that some day I'd be standing here about to solve the world's energy problems, I would've said you're crazy... Now let's push this giant ball of oil out the window."
Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Mike DeNero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The issue is not really piercing the veil to get to Doug individually, in my opinion, but rather, whether Legendary (the ongoing business) is liable for Mastro's debts on an alter ego and/or fraudulent conveyance theory.

Right - I agree 100%. But, hypothetically speaking (of course), if such claims are viable (key words here: "if" and "viable"), the same facts might (key word here: "might") implicate a veil piercing claim against the orchestrator(s).

Last edited by mikedenero; 08-07-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Banned

Steve,

Your fly is open.

Signed,

Dean Jones
Old 08-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Mike DeNero

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
Who then, would consign anything of significant value to them without a significant cash advance?
Good point. To take it a step further, aren't there enough other viable big (or medium sized) auction house consignment (not to mention non-auction house) options out there?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
That seems to be the issue. It doesn't sound like buyers never received their cards, but consignors didn't get the cash.

So it's safe to buy but not to consign, apparently.

Dave,

I'm not an attorney, but some here would tell you that receiving your cards does not put you in the clear. If Mastro never pays the original consignor, no title has passed. The deal is incomplete and your cards could be confiscated at a later date and returned to the consignor.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Hypothetically speaking, it would be very interesting to see the documentation of the Mastro/Legendary transaction.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Mike DeNero

I agree, hypothetically (of course).
Old 08-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

trans⋅ac⋅tion  Pronunciation [tran-sak-shuhn, -zak-]
–noun
1. the act of transacting or the fact of being transacted.
2. an instance or process of transacting something.
3. something that is transacted, esp. a business agreement.

Last edited by botn; 08-07-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

If you are a Feb. Mastronet consignor who has not been paid until now(like me),and you've received the Aug. Legendary Auction catalogue,do this: re-package it and send it back to Legendary with Attn: Doug Allen on the front.Media mail will do fine.Include a courteous note that you would love to bid on their auction but you have not as yet received your Mastro consignment money.It can't hurt and you are simply stating a fact.I am doing this as my protest.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:13 PM
M@rk Lu7z

A nice way to say it. I wish that their next auction had more in it so that you could be paid back faster.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
A nice way to say it. I wish that their next auction had more in it so that you could be paid back faster.
How could the auction have more in it? The word is getting out that consignors from Feb. have not been paid. Who wants to consign and worry about not getting paid?
Anybody want to forecast an over/under number on how long Legendary can stay in business. I make the line 13 months, over or under?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-13-2009, 04:27 PM
M@rk Lu7z

swimsuit models.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Gosh I think they may too great to even get to 13 months. Unless of course they can promote their business by listing some cards for $25,000 on ebay.

Last edited by botn; 08-13-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:45 PM

Default Already been done

American Memorabilia is already doing that. Unless Doug wants to put on a speedo (great, there goes my ability to sleep or keep down solid foods for the next few days.)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
swimsuit models.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

I took a quick look at the Legendary August auction and it was a strange mix of some quality stuff and some "let's add more lots in spite of the values."I am sticking with my protest plan and will return the catalogue this weekend.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Is it not true that Legendary bills consignors for getting their items professionally graded?I would like to know since a friend of mine consigned to their first auction and received a bill for 1,000.00 for getting some of his stuff graded.Anyone out there have the same experience?
Old 08-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Jeff

Unless I misread the post (very possible at my age and as a micro-mind), there is a post on the Non-Sports board where they sent out and billed a lady $40,000 for grading. I am sure at a level like that it was something that was agreed to beforehand.

Last edited by HRBAKER; 08-13-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleguy64 View Post
Is it not true that Legendary bills consignors for getting their items professionally graded?I would like to know since a friend of mine consigned to their first auction and received a bill for 1,000.00 for getting some of his stuff graded.Anyone out there have the same experience?

I thought that Mastro had a deal with grading companies to have cards graded for $7 each irrespective of tier, but I guess that is not true. Doug Allen told me that the cost of grading a single card was $250, and that was the reason why Mastro could not pay the remaining $200 due to me from my February consignments.

$250 seems like a lot of money to grade one card, but I told Doug if he could show me a copy of the PSA invoice showing the $250 charge, that we could just call it the day. It has been three weeks and I still have not heard anything from Doug.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:55 PM
D.B. Cooper

$250? I think that's the service tier where the return the card via unicorn.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
$250? I think that's the service tier where the return the card via unicorn.
Well played.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:59 PM
M@rk Lu7z

$250 is for a card with a declared value of $10,000 plus. I hope you got a good price for the card.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I thought that Mastro had a deal with grading companies to have cards graded for $7 each irrespective of tier, but I guess that is not true. Doug Allen told me that the cost of grading a single card was $250, and that was the reason why Mastro could not pay the remaining $200 due to me from my February consignments.

$250 seems like a lot of money to grade one card, but I told Doug if he could show me a copy of the PSA invoice showing the $250 charge, that we could just call it the day. It has been three weeks and I still have not heard anything from Doug.
And does this surprise anyone?
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Doug may very well be the greatest.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:11 PM

Default April Legendary Auction

Now it turns out that they are not paying consignors from the April Legendary Auction. There is a thread about it on the NonSports side.

Last edited by WarHoundR69; 08-13-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Bob C

Reminds me of the of a cartoon I saw a while back, I think in The New Yorker:
Two businessmen in suits standing in an office...

Q "Wow, how did you go bankrupt?"
A "A little bit at a time then all at once."

I'm afraid this is not going to end well for the Mastro/Legendary cast of characters.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Doug may very well be the greatest.
the greatest what?
--
Old 08-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

The truth is that if a card is a 5 figure card PSA will charge you 250 to grade the card. Alot of folks try to slide cards by putting a huge card with a common lot but all that does is piss the graders off.

I'm really trying to figure out why people still want to consign and do business with these folks. It is not like they are fetching huge dollars that another auction house cannot.

I did not even bother to introduce myself to the Legendary boys at the National because i could tell they were to cool for school. I stayed at the Marriot and saw them many times in the lobby and my first thought was they remind me of like Winnie the Pooh, very easy to read.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
the greatest what?
Well...the greatest of the 'great' guys, of course.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Hey,all of you posters,does this Legendary Auction /Mastro group not remind you of that docu"The Smartest Guys In The Room?"Of course,that was about Enron.Bizarre.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHoundR69 View Post
Now it turns out that they are not paying consignors from the April Legendary Auction. There is a thread about it on the NonSports side.
Uh, oh. I guess I should let Dave Forman know that there will be another leak to the Daily News about him any second now...
Old 08-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Banned

Is it me or does Ron Oser look like a Art Garfunkel stunt double?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:39 PM

Default 40K in Grading Fees

According to the thread on the Net54 Nonsport Forum, the vast majority of the NonSport Cards in the April Auction was consigned by a man suffering from cancer (He has since passed away). His widow was charged 40K in grading fees and so far has only received half the money she was owed.

Last edited by WarHoundR69; 08-13-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling errors
Old 08-14-2009, 05:26 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Now that is legendary greed and cruelty.

Who will Doug blame this one on?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:33 AM
Banned

Default Unreal.....

How can anyone spend 40k on grading fees? Can we get any info on the cards that were graded in regards to how many were submitted? Also who did the grading?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:02 AM
Rich Klein

Default This is the non-sports Thread being discussed

http://www.network54.com/Forum/52660...ndary+Auctions

Regards
Rich
Old 08-14-2009, 06:13 AM
Andy Palmer

That just makes my stomach churn.

V357 1933 WWG Ice Kings Hockey
1921 Exhibits Babe Ruth & Walter Johnson
Greg Maddux PSA 10 Cannon
Pedro Martinez PSA 10 1992 Leaf Gold Insert
Old 08-14-2009, 06:26 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHoundR69 View Post
According to the thread on the Net54 Nonsport Forum, the vast majority of the NonSport Cards in the April Auction was consigned by a man suffering from cancer (He has since passed away). His widow was charged 40K in grading fees and so far has only received half the money she was owed.
If this is true, then Legendary's conduct is beyond unbelievable. But who is surprised?
I would like to know more about this though. So far only one person has made these claims about the non-sports Legendary auction. And he is not the one who got burned.
--
Old 08-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Anthony K.

I see there is still trouble surrounding Mastro in this hobby.

Still upset over the shady doings and business practices between them and PSA in the 90's (which I am sure still go on today).

Hoping to snag a few T206's, early Goudey's and one or two 1880's-1890's cards.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Records

OK, so if Doug Allen isn't associated with Mastro, why did he keep "some of Mastro's records"? He just happened to have the record of the consigner that was owed $1800?

Why would he have access to any of Mastro's records? Why would Mastro let him have these records?

I wonder who signed the check.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:51 PM

Sorta like Mastro & Dave Forman, which is happening now, and not back in the 90's.