NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Jay Cee

Default Do you ever get caught up in an auction description?

I have never bought a boxing card before. I do like postcards and items you don't see everyday. After reading the Leland's description which the last sentence says "this is one of our favorite pieces in the auction", how could I not resist the urge to open up the lot and then win it, from my opening first bid.

Last edited by BeanTown; 06-25-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Joe

I can't say I have ever got caught up, knowing most auction descriptions are a ridiculous level of exaggeration and hyperbole...but I did try to enlarge the image in your post to see the back before realizing I was clicking an image and not the actual auction listing . Nice card!
Old 08-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

I know very little about boxing postcards, but I've bought a few because I like Jack Johnson stuff. Burns was the first Canadian champ and was the guy Johnson beat to take the title, so this one if particularly cool.

I think you did fine, and you certainly have a cool postcard featuring a great fighter. At one time I had a Jack Johnson handwritten note, and also one from Tommy Burns (still have it) - I was looking for a piece exactly like this to frame with the autographs. You would have definitely had bidding competition if I still had the Johnson note!
Old 08-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Dave_Berg

I pretty much only buy " stunning" cards in SGC 20 holders
Old 08-06-2015, 05:17 PM

Only when they say it's the finest "extant".
Old 08-08-2015, 09:49 AM
Jeff

I've never got caught up, several times I've nearly thrown up after reading them.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
I've never got caught up, several times I've nearly thrown up after reading them.
LOL exactly. I don't see much value to information beyond provenance if relevant and a basic description, I guess I can understand that an AH feels a duty to consignors to fully promote an item, but I would think in most cases a good scan or photo is all that is needed.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Dan Bl@u

Default Must. Buy. This. Don. Mossi.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Jay Cee

That brings up a great college memory Dan. Back in the day, we used to play a drinking game "Bob". We would watch a rerun of the Bob Newhart show and everytime someone said "Bob" you would have to drink! At the end of the 30 minute show, you will not believe how many times they said "Bob" and howmuch you just gotdone drinking. Another fun game was playing the AC/DC song "have a drink on me" and everytime they say "drink" then you need to take a drink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
Old 08-08-2015, 11:34 AM

I would agree that a high quality auction catalog picture, and computer screen scan of a PSA /SGC card is essential to a serious buyer. I also agree that too much space is wasted with blah, blah, blah, yadda, .....

However, some of you hyper-cynical, hyper-critical members need to stop and think about this. Beyond the crisp images, why do you assume a potential auction bidder will know what the ---- they're looking at? What its significance is? Why should I consider adding this card to my collection? Expressing a population report is important because many would instantly want to know that information, and may deliberate whether it's worth their while to investigate said pop reports. That auction house has an obligation to the consignor, as well as themselves, to get a collector as interested as possible to become a feverish, fanatical, "gotta have it" person who will, if need be, stay up 'til the cows come home or even when they're being milked in the morning, if it must be so.

I certainly think auction houses could use some better researchers and staff auction lot writers, but those people are costly, and frankly, hard to find. I don't know. Maybe the auction house owners just want writers to convey ONLY what they want them to say--- "yes people" or "when I tell ya 'jump', you better be asking me 'how high?' on the way up". Lots of bosses work that way with their subordinates.

Sure, some of you know much more than the auction house about the items you'd be interested in. You know precisely what to look for, 'cause you've obsessed on them, studied them, read ANYthing you could get your hands on about them, and would never tell anybody what you know, except your dog. Maybe you don't want the auction house to "mastrobate" you and the other people looking at the same catalog, for fear they'll go "ape ----" over the item, and bid it up to the "Moon Over Miami". Then you'd just go sulk and cry in your beer 'cause you couldn't bag it for a song, and have those adorable bragging rights all day long". Isn't that just too bad.

I well remember Mr. Mint's quarterly auctions in SCD. Begun about 1987, at this time The Mint Man was involved with buying find after find of the most desirable stuff in the realm of planet "SPORTS CARD COLLECTOR". He ruled the hobby as a fiefdom, and don't you dare say the wrong thing to him. You had best be humble and respectful, or else.... Back to the point, when Mr. Mint spoke, you listened because he knew exactly what he was talking about, and so, when he conducted his phone auctions in the then "thick as a brick" pages of Sports Collectors Digest, his lot descriptions began to carry a few choice words to sweeten the desire. Yeah, sometimes it was the "you could shave with this one" or "a screamer". However, The Mint Man began tucking in some very pertinent information of which I was unaware. Such as the occasion he wrote of a 1969 Topps Super set. He succinctly explained why Topps referred to them as "SUPER", as well as knowledge that a warehouse fire had destroyed more than half the printing. This Topps test issue was not distributed where it was easily accessible to kid customers. I discovered this 1969 issue in 1972 at the huge Detroit convention when I met Topps employee Bill Haber, who sold a dozen MINT sets he brought with him to the event to help fund his show expenses and card purchases. He may have actually brought a few more sets than what I saw in his satchel, but I doubt it. Those cards were by no means all over the place in Troy. Bill was the only guy who had them available. Regardless, with Bill Haber selling them to happy adult owners, that's why the far majority of them grade so high; they were well taken care of. I would add the interpretation of the POPs may be misleading; assuredly, there are not hundreds and hundreds of MINT cards listed for a given player.

Back to Mr. Mint Alan Rosen, and his quarterly phone auctions in Sports Collectors Digest.

When The Mint Man would call it MINT back in the day before third party grading became "mandatory", his word descriptions carried a lot of weight. I will always remember the time I loudly inhaled when I saw the card of my dreams in a Mr. Mint auction. If you never saw the quality of the SCD black 'n white auction photos from the late 1980s, let me FIRST say they were ''cutting edge" technology at the time. Prior to Mr. Mint, I do not recall any SCD advertiser who paired each and every auction lot with a brief description and a photograph of the actual item being auctioned. Very effective, though by today's standards, the postage stamp size grainy b & w photo was a bad joke. Be that as it may, back then he was the first to do this on such a grand scale for each of his nearly 100 lots of super quality items. And yes, I was extremely "CAUGHT UP" in his auctions. Though by no means a major player in Alan's phone auctions, that Saturday morning I inhaled audibly and and forever etched the occasion into my graymatter over 25 years ago, my "gotta have it" button got jammed into overdrive. Long to short, I won the $1,000+ card, back when a grand would buy a solid gold medal card. Over a decade later I decided to submit the rare piece to PSA. Could Mr. Mint call a spade a spade? Listening to some of you, the man always lied through his teeth. When I received the registered mail package from PSA, I ever so slowly and fearfully pealed away the bubble wrap to discover PSA's Bill Klem verdict.

So, was The Mint Man full of ----?

UH UH. PSA MINT 9. One of one. Over ten years later---still a one of one.

You had better believe I am so glad I got CAUGHT UP in that Mr. Mint auction.

Hey, I've got my Mr. Mint horror stories, too. Yet, that occasion was timeless to me, never to be forgotten.

Still, I agree there's much garblety-goop with auction listings and descriptions. A good buyer had best do his research, or else....

If you're a studious, wise seller / auctioneer, you better come up with something pertinent to say; otherwise, your stuff will just get passed by, dismissed as a used car at "Honest Harry's".

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-19-2015 at 11:16 AM.