NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2023, 11:12 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default SGG at the National - Onsite Grading?

Any news if SGC will do onsite grading at the National this year? I haven't seen a release yet. And I am not referring to pregrade, but rather having a card slabbed onsite by SGC.
Old 04-26-2023, 12:10 PM

I asked them about it (more specifically reholders) at the last Philly show and the guy didn't go on record as saying yes but that they had "a lot of plans" for the national. My takeaway was that reholders and grading seemed likely but who knows.
Old 04-26-2023, 12:52 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L. View Post
I asked them about it (more specifically reholders) at the last Philly show and the guy didn't go on record as saying yes but that they had "a lot of plans" for the national. My takeaway was that reholders and grading seemed likely but who knows.
I wonder what these "plans" are. Would be a boom if they did something spectacular for the National.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:07 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
I wonder what these "plans" are. Would be a boom if they did something spectacular for the National.
If you are getting cards graded at the National, it is going to cost.
Old 04-27-2023, 08:12 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I have a good felling SGC will be slabbing on-site this year at the National.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:09 AM
Drew W@i$e

Anyone know of an update about SGC grading at the National? There is speculation on other boards that they will grade onsite there, but nothing confirmed.

Last edited by parkplace33; 05-16-2023 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:39 PM
Drew W@i$e

Anyone have an update? Crickets from SGC on this topic.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:53 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Anyone have an update? Crickets from SGC on this topic.
A friend asked this question yesterday, I said nothing has been mentioned by SGC so idk...based on the past several years I don’t know what to expect. Hopefully they come and grade on site for the first time since 2019.
Old 06-27-2023, 05:20 AM
Don

I submitted to them at the Chantilly show and asked this.

They said their plans will be communicated soon, but it’s most likely Raw Card Review and verbatim quote, “something like this”, referring to take home submissions.

It was a younger fella so idk if he has the whole picture but either way, SGC can’t let PSA dominate their bread and butter at the national (pre-war).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2023, 06:02 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshowandme View Post
I submitted to them at the Chantilly show and asked this.

They said their plans will be communicated soon, but it’s most likely Raw Card Review and verbatim quote, “something like this”, referring to take home submissions.

It was a younger fella so idk if he has the whole picture but either way, SGC can’t let PSA dominate their bread and butter at the national (pre-war).

I wonder if SGC has made a corporate decision to not grade on site and Major card shows. This is National if you can’t do it for this one what can you do it for?
Old 06-27-2023, 06:42 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Last year, PSA announced their national plans in the first week of July. I believe SGC was within a day or two of that announcement stating they wouldn’t be.

I’d expect to hear something in the next week or two.
Old 06-27-2023, 07:08 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

SGC cannot be considered a big player in the card grading game if they do not grade cards on site at the National.

The National exposure of grading on site is huge.

They should also make the pricing reasonable, no more than their current pricing structure to entice business and make the collectors feel they are getting a good deal.

They could cut off new submissions after Saturday and catch up any backlog by the end of the day Sunday. If they have to take limited stock back to complete after the National, they can offer free shipping as a perk.

They cannot take the #1 spot from PSA in the grading game but they might just bleed off some business from them if they approach this National correctly.

Just one opinion of course.
Old 06-27-2023, 07:37 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
Last year, PSA announced their national plans in the first week of July. I believe SGC was within a day or two of that announcement stating they wouldn’t be.

Thanks, I guess we will see. I wish SGC's marketing would improve, it leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 06-27-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
SGC cannot be considered a big player in the card grading game if they do not grade cards on site at the National.

The National exposure of grading on site is huge.

They should also make the pricing reasonable, no more than their current pricing structure to entice business and make the collectors feel they are getting a good deal.

They could cut off new submissions after Saturday and catch up any backlog by the end of the day Sunday. If they have to take limited stock back to complete after the National, they can offer free shipping as a perk.

They cannot take the #1 spot from PSA in the grading game but they might just bleed off some business from them if they approach this National correctly.

Just one opinion of course.

No more than their current pricing structure? 10 fold their onsite staff travel, lodging and other expenses? 10 fold their freight costs to get the necessary equipment to Chicago…. All at the same cost they can do it at home for? I get needing/wanting exposure for a brand that is more economical than other grading options …. But they are a business first and foremost. That said I hope they grade on-site … but I wouldn’t expect it to be less than 2x or more their regular submission pricing.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:28 AM
T0m P00n

Quote:

Beckett and PSA has graded on-site at the National as far back as I can remember going back 20+ years and their announcement a month before the show is usually to inform the public on what type of specials they'll be running.

Taking a look at the dealer floor map, there's no way SGC will be grading on site with slabbing because they just do not have the purchased floor space. If they were going to grade/slab on site, they would've announced that long ago.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:57 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2000 View Post
Beckett and PSA has graded on-site at the National as far back as I can remember going back 20+ years and their announcement a month before the show is usually to inform the public on what type of specials they'll be running.

Taking a look at the dealer floor map, there's no way SGC will be grading on site with slabbing because they just do not have the purchased floor space. If they were going to grade/slab on site, they would've announced that long ago.
Interesting about the floor layout.

I really hope SGC doesn’t fumble the ball and not grade at the National yet again.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:38 PM
Chase

Quote:
Interesting about the floor layout.

I really hope SGC doesn’t fumble the ball and not grade at the National yet again.
Has not hurt them one bit not showing up to do onsite. Their regular service is so fast and reasonably priced unlike PSA and BVG that maybe they do not feel they need to be at the National to grade.

All I know is that if I like a company, I want them staying in business and making decisions that are good for their financial health--not ones that cater to my convenience.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:51 PM
Jim Reynolds

I just participated in a group sub with SGC. My cards were back in a week.

No need to grade at the National.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:13 AM

Default SGC at National

The last time I got an onsite grade from SGC was years ago in Strongsville.
Other collectors have touched on this, but the bottom line is they don't feel
the need to set up camp in Chicago and do something less efficiently than
they can do at home. They get cards out quickly to submitters, and uprooting
to Chicago does nothing to further that goal. Trent King
Old 06-29-2023, 07:35 AM
Drew W@i$e

For the last three responses, I am surprised at this sentiment. If going to the National and you like SGC, wouldn't you want to have cards graded onsite?

The bottom line for me is this is just bad optics for SGC. If all the other grading companies are grading onsite and SGC is not, it just begs the question why. And has begged this question now for 4 years running.
Old 06-29-2023, 08:33 AM

Default Sgc

Parkplace- I’m surprised that you are surprised. SGC has a reputation for very quick returns that is well deserved. The National does nothing but impede their best attribute while adding logistical nightmares. They are staying true to their model. There will be people lining up at PSA, very likely for outrageous in-house prices and very questionable results. That’s not SGC. Trent King
Old 06-29-2023, 09:35 AM

If you have cards worth a considerable amount of $ and would enjoy the peace of mind of dropping them off/picking them up in person rather than taking your chances with putting them in transit that's where it makes sense and why I'd like to see it. It has nothing to with beating their already solid turnaround times.
Old 06-30-2023, 06:46 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L. View Post
If you have cards worth a considerable amount of $ and would enjoy the peace of mind of dropping them off/picking them up in person rather than taking your chances with putting them in transit that's where it makes sense and why I'd like to see it. It has nothing to with beating their already solid turnaround times.
Bingo. And then if they aren't doing that, you might go to another grading company to have it graded there.

Again, we are talking about the biggest card show of the year. If you can't make the effort here.... I just don't know.
Old 06-30-2023, 08:17 AM
bR!@N R0+H

Quote:

It may not be a floor layout thing. I distinctly remember in 2018 (albeit different venue and I understand that) they took cards literally underneath the convention center where they had an encapsulation machine doing cards.

Greenberg collection
Old 06-30-2023, 08:48 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Hard to come up with a legitimate reason not to be there grading from the point of view of business development. It's basically saying we are happy playing a very distant second fiddle to PSA and really don't give a shit what anyone in the hobby thinks about that.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-30-2023 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-30-2023, 08:48 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
Parkplace- I’m surprised that you are surprised. SGC has a reputation for very quick returns that is well deserved. The National does nothing but impede their best attribute while adding logistical nightmares. They are staying true to their model. There will be people lining up at PSA, very likely for outrageous in-house prices and very questionable results. That’s not SGC. Trent King
This.

Agree with you 110%, Trent. Stay with what works.
Old 06-30-2023, 09:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

It's like a certain politician's base, the faithful will excuse anything.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-30-2023, 12:48 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's like a certain every politician's base, the faithful will excuse anything.
Fixed it for you.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 06-30-2023, 03:16 PM

Default Sgc

Peter- or, instead of an "excuse", it could just be an utterly accurate
observation based on years of experience. I find it hard to believe the powers
that be at SGC got together and decided to defy net54 members specifically
about grading at the National. It's not a "bad business move" or some act of
defiance, it's simply not their way. The fact that the folks at BMW
manufacture motorcycles, has not compelled the folks at Mercedes Benz to
follow suit ("Oh my gosh, we have to do exactly what BMW does or people
won't buy Benz anymore!"). This is a tempest in a teapot (as usual).

Trent King
Old 06-30-2023, 03:41 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:

I’m thinking $150 a card like last year.
Old 06-30-2023, 03:44 PM

Default Sgc / national

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Hard to come up with a legitimate reason not to be there grading from the point of view of business development. It's basically saying we are happy playing a very distant second fiddle to PSA and really don't give a shit what anyone in the hobby thinks about that.

maybe we should go to the show and just have a great time.
Old 06-30-2023, 03:45 PM

Default Sgc

Bigfish- BINGO!! Trent King
Old 06-30-2023, 08:36 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
maybe we should go to the show and just have a great time.
I plan to. Thanks.

Had SGC same day grade some cards for me at the last pre Covid national in Atlantic City 5 or so years ago. Was really cool. There was like zero line there and seamless. It was great. Having a hard time believe those few days set their business model back in any meaningful way.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-30-2023 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:30 PM
Chase

Quote:
I plan to. Thanks.

Had SGC same day grade some cards for me at the last pre Covid national in Atlantic City 5 or so years ago. Was really cool. There was like zero line there and seamless. It was great. Having a hard time believe those few days set their business model back in any meaningful way.
Gee zero line...I wonder if that just might be a factor. LOLOLOLOL. Ummm...any idea what it cost and the time involved in moving a grading operation to another location? Again, you can get almost immediate turnaround with their present model.

I really do not understand the arguments for them to be at the National grading other than people being people and wanting what they want without any regard for how what they want comes to fruition. SMH.
Old 07-01-2023, 01:02 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:

Remember there are also a ton of meeting rooms at the Stephens Convention Center and you don't have to be on the main floor to have a place to do grading on-site.

Many of the rooms are big enough for grading. I know one year Beckett had people in both the main floor and in a meeting room

Rich
Old 07-01-2023, 05:29 AM
Scott Russell

While it's possible that the logistics are not cost-effective. I would point out that SGC graded at LOTS of shows in the past, not merely the national. Were they really flushing money away multiple times a year for many years?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-01-2023, 06:40 AM
Val Kehl

Re SGC grading onsite at the National, half of me says, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do." The other half of me says, "no need to be a copycat."
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:22 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Eating into PSA’s commanding lead in market share doesn’t seem to be a priority. It’s their business and if they are happy where they are more power to them. I’d have to think if they they could begin to close the gap with PSA they’d be a much more valuable business. In the modern card realm and Pokémon and Magic stuff they are essentially irrelevant.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Eating into PSA’s commanding lead in market share doesn’t seem to be a priority. It’s their business and if they are happy where they are more power to them. I’d have to think if they they could begin to close the gap with PSA they’d be a much more valuable business. In the modern card realm and Pokémon and Magic stuff they are essentially irrelevant.
The owner is probably happy doing what he's doing and isn't driven by ambition at this point. After all, he's made huge sums of money as a card (whatever noun you want to use), and seems to be doing very well in life. Just speculating but it makes sense to me. Not everyone in life is driven.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-01-2023 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 01:34 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

The fact that SGC didn't generate long grading lines (or any lines at all for that matter) while their competition had lines wrapping around the building tells you everything you need to know about about why they've chosen to not grade cards at the National. Especially nowadays where the shows are perpetually patrolled by an army of social media "influencers" who can't wait to post videos comparing them against PSA and trashing them for not having a line.

Add in the fact that it doesn't make economic sense for them to send a grading team, and it's really a no-brainer decision.
Old 07-01-2023, 01:46 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Actually, I think I've changed my mind already. They could generate long lines simply by offering a $5 grading special (or some other very enticing low number that gets new customers' hands on SGC slabs), while not getting too slammed by implementing some restrictions on that (maximum of 5 cards & $499 declared value). It would generate huge buzz in the hobby, and would have all the influencers praising them instead of crapping on them. The marketing value add would greatly overcome any labor costs in grading a large volume of cards.

Also, all of would take to cover the entire grading team's expenses is for one high end card that someone doesn't want to risk sending in the mail to get slabbed at the National that otherwise ends up in a PSA slab because they weren't grading there.

Last edited by Snowman; 07-01-2023 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 02:14 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

In the early 2000's, they had lines at the National. Their grading prices were much cheaper than PSA and they were actually considered on par with PSA grading tobacco cards at that time.

I have personally seen collectors/dealers submit hundreds of cards at a time with them at multiple Nationals in that earlier era.

I agree with Peter that the ownership has enough money and could care less whether they are #3 or #4 in the graded card market.

I think they could generate a lot of business even at a $25 level at the National with some limits as you suggest but it is very unlikely they would undertake such a venture.

They promised a new and better registry 3 years ago when they zapped their old one and alas, nothing.

They are what they are. A competent grading company that has great turn times but no desire to be more than they are.

In the early 2000's they at least tried to give PSA some level of competition.

No longer do they try!
Old 07-01-2023, 02:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
In the early 2000's, they had lines at the National. Their grading prices were much cheaper than PSA and they were actually considered on par with PSA grading tobacco cards at that time.

I have personally seen collectors/dealers submit hundreds of cards at a time with them at multiple Nationals in that earlier era.

I agree with Peter that the ownership has enough money and could care less whether they are #3 or #4 in the graded card market.

I think they could generate a lot of business even at a $25 level at the National with some limits as you suggest but it is very unlikely they would undertake such a venture.

They promised a new and better registry 3 years ago when they zapped their old one and alas, nothing.

They are what they are. A competent grading company that has great turn times but no desire to be more than they are.

No longer do they try!
Yep. They have their loyal customers, the owner and employees can grade their own cards, it's all good.

Old 07-01-2023, 04:21 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Low Expectations Yield Low Results/Stagnant Results....Business as usual at Boca.

Last Year they did Pre Gradin at the National. how did they work out ?

So this year prob just take home subs or nothing.

I wish their ownership tried a little to improve.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-01-2023 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 04:39 PM

Default Sgc

Johnny360- do you mean hiring a ton of unqualified people and producing glacial turnaround times nevertheless? That kind of “improvement”? Yeah…no. These dissents read very much like they are being written by guys who blow a gasket when the drive thru is down at their go-to place. It’s got zero to do with “low expectations” and that other nonsense. They aren’t grading on site because they have judged it doesn’t fit the strength of their business. How many of you who are complaining about this small “ affront”, would knowingly do something against your own business interest due to comments that basically boil down to online whining? What is that number? None of you? Got it…File this under “no big deal” and enjoy the National. Good heavens! Trent King
Old 07-01-2023, 06:18 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yep. They have their loyal customers, the owner and employees can grade their own cards, it's all good.
The hobby seems overly forgiving of this.

I don't think SGC is trying to steal business from any other TPG. Seems there is plenty of business for all concerned. If and when they need to make more money or take more of the market, they will, or at least they will try. Not going to the National is a very smart business move for them. Those who are all bent out of shape over it will still submit to them.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:22 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:

No longer do they try!
Agree. And the lack of a registry continues to boggle my mind.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:17 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Agree. And the lack of a registry continues to boggle my mind.
Web developers and server admins cost money. They can't just give them $20 per hour and put them through a 5 hour training course like they can with graders. Who knew?
Old 07-02-2023, 10:28 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Web developers and server admins cost money. They can't just give them $20 per hour and put them through a 5 hour training course like they can with graders. Who knew?
They obviously had trained employees to do these tasks when they HAD a registry for many years. If they could not improve on it, they should have just kept the existing one.
Old 07-02-2023, 12:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
The hobby seems overly forgiving of this.

I don't think SGC is trying to steal business from any other TPG. Seems there is plenty of business for all concerned. If and when they need to make more money or take more of the market, they will, or at least they will try. Not going to the National is a very smart business move for them. Those who are all bent out of shape over it will still submit to them.
As long as the SGC faithful get their own cards back quickly and within two grades of accurate, they seem happy. After my last sub which I've posted about, I'm in the never again category, I think, unless there is some way to assure the grader knows vintage.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-02-2023 at 12:45 PM.