NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2021, 09:33 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Default Memory Lane Auction

Strong prices for a fantastic collection. Congratulations to the Newman family, Memory Lane for treating/marketing the collection properly, and any Net54 members who won.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-11-2021, 09:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Strong prices for a fantastic collection. Congratulations to the Newman family, Memory Lane for treating/marketing the collection properly, and any Net54 members who won.
4.2 million for a Goudey Ruth. Man.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:38 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Auction ran until 6-630am EST this morning. That’s not fun.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
Yes but what was JP's incentive to close when bids were rolling in?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:47 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Not a big fan of that format. If the lots have action let em run but close the ones without action after 15 minutes.

-
Old 07-11-2021, 09:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Not a big fan of that format. If the lots have action let em run but close the ones without action after 15 minutes.
The AH is there to get the most for the consignor, and you know the argument, that if all lots remain open people who get maxxed can go back and spend on other lots which wouldn't be there with a 15 minute rule. Yes there are counterarguments but the debate will never be resolved.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:55 AM
T0NY @

Lots 1 thru 5 alone, ended north of $10 million bucks combined!
Old 07-11-2021, 09:58 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The AH is there to get the most for the consignor, and you know the argument, that if all lots remain open people who get maxxed can go back and spend on other lots which wouldn't be there with a 15 minute rule. Yes there are counterarguments but the debate will never be resolved.
Right. Their first allegiance is to their consignors.

Can't even count how many times (as a bidder) I have been outbid very late, only to jump over to a lot that's been stagnant for hours because it's still within my spending limit. But we have re-hashed this a thousand times, and people will always be split on the issue.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:05 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Auction Houses Have The Market Cornered. It’s hard to find people willing to sell their high end cards for cash privately when AH’s are brining in these numbers.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Auction Houses Have The Market Cornered. It’s hard to find people willing to sell their high end cards for cash privately when AH’s are brining in these numbers.
On the flip side, it appears to me many people would rather overpay an auction house than pay a fair but reasonable price for a nice card privately.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:22 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Agreed not fun especially when no action on an item you bid on and at 3 am get outbid. Lol

But great cards

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-11-2021, 10:35 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
On the flip side, it appears to me many people would rather overpay an auction house than pay a fair but reasonable price for a nice card privately.
I don’t understand it anymore, agree Peter! It’s greed they want the most on everything.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:58 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
I can send you a list of cards I would be more than happy to pay a fair and reasonable price for, some of which I would pay close to AH prices for as I prefer spending $$ with members or other collectors. Only problem is those cards usually pop up in auctions before I get a shot at them.

-
Old 07-11-2021, 11:17 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I think ML did a great job for the Newman family.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I think ML did a great job for the Newman family.
+1
Old 07-11-2021, 11:44 AM

At 4:00 am I envisioned it going on for hours and everyone getting up on the east coast and start bidding again. I was high on my one lot well before midnight and was not looking forward to a Sunday morning bid resurgence. I i finally decided that I was not going to get up again, I would either win the lot or not. It might be interesting to hear from the bidders, how many either fell asleep and lost out or simply lost interest from the auction going for so long well into the next morning.

It was a very strong showing for vintage, especially 19th century. I imagine the total sales exceeded their pre-auction estimate. And a nice break not to see 500 modern basketball cards being the headliners.

Last edited by sb1; 07-11-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I can send you a list of cards I would be more than happy to pay a fair and reasonable price for, some of which I would pay close to AH prices for as I prefer spending $$ with members or other collectors. Only problem is those cards usually pop up in auctions before I get a shot at them.
I view buying out of auctions as a last resort, because inevitably on cards I want the prices go to the moon.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:19 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

The really annoying thing about auctions now is a PSA 7.5 card will sell for $20,000 and I will receive offers to buy the same card as a PSA 7 via Heritage offers system for $4,000. I if I accept that offer I can then pay Heritage 10% commission I believe.

I may be stupid, but not that stupid.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:20 PM
Chase

Quote:
He has far less important ones "run" until after 9:00AM EST.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Can't even count how many times (as a bidder) I have been outbid very late, only to jump over to a lot that's been stagnant for hours because it's still within my spending limit. But we have re-hashed this a thousand times, and people will always be split on the issue.
It just rewards those who stay up all night. If the person who would pay the most is asleep when he is out bid, the consignor doesn't get the most for his card. I know people think bidders should put in their high bid, but shillers and auction houses like Mastro who shilled their auctions, make that unpractical.

The only way an Auction House is going to maximize for their consignors is to end the auction when everyone is awake.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
It just rewards those who stay up all night. If the person who would pay the most is asleep when he is out bid, the consignor doesn't get the most for his card. I know people think bidders should put in their high bid, but shillers and auction houses like Mastro who shilled their auctions, make that unpractical.

The only way an Auction House is going to maximize for their consignors is to end the auction when everyone is awake.
If I am JP and looking at prices realized (holy shit BTW on many of them) I am probably thinking I don't need to change anything.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:48 PM
Troy Rambo

Some strong prices for sure! Went to sleep around 11pm Eastern with a winning bid. Woke up around 5:40am to see I had been outbid around 3:45am or so. Didn't think I'd have a chance to bid again after I fell asleep but was happy to place one final bid (and win).

Don't love the all night auction and understand both sides of it. I also think the 15 or 30 minute rule on a lot by lot basis should give everyone time to duke it out on lots and still have time to bid on the other items if they're outbid. I enjoyed a 10:30pm ending of a recent auction house win as a result! Not complaining about how AH's do their thing at all. You know the rules going in so as long as they're living up to those rules, all good! Just stating a preference here!!

Congrats to all who won!!
Old 07-11-2021, 12:56 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

At the super high end obviously there were some unreal prices.

I was following some pricey items (15,000-30,000) and honestly the prices realized on that level didn't seem bat shit crazy like January - February.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:00 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

I was following some pricey items (15,000-30,000) and honestly the prices realized on that level didn't seem bat shit crazy like January - February.
The 14CJ Cobb 4 was well bought imo.

-
Old 07-11-2021, 01:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Is this the first Gehrig rookie to top 1 million?

Old 07-11-2021, 01:03 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
If I am JP and looking at prices realized (holy shit BTW on many of them) I am probably thinking I don't need to change anything.
Agree! Let auction runs forever is the best format and can bring the most money to consigners. Bidders are supposed to place the max bids on something "I got to have it" items, if u just want to place "marginal" bids then u don't really want them as bad.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:05 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Very happy to see the winner of 52T Mantle PSA8 is buying the card and not the holder. There were a few PSA8s (with centering issue) in recent auctions ended in much lower price.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:08 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
I think so, the one in Goldins went for 782K.

-
Old 07-11-2021, 01:19 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
That 3 hour time diff on the left coast is one of the few advantages of living here. It somewhat - but not entirely - makes up for all the crime, gang bangers, shitty air, traffic gridlock, heat, drought, density, fires and quakes.
Somewhat . . .
Old 07-11-2021, 01:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

In 2007 JP sold a PSA 5 for 7800. Who knew.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:29 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
In 2007 JP sold a PSA 5 for 7800. Who knew.
Hotchkiss

-
Old 07-11-2021, 01:30 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Yep.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:46 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

The only people who will be split are those not looking at it from the viewpoint of what is best for the consignor.

I don't like getting outbid after hours of no action, but whoever consigned the item likes that I was.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:54 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

I wasn't thrilled with an email going out at 4:05 stating that the auction was unlikely to go past 4:15. It ended after 6 AM EST. That said, I was snoozing when the email went out and I maintained my high bid.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
Very happy to see the winner of 52T Mantle PSA8 is buying the card and not the holder. There were a few PSA8s (with centering issue) in recent auctions ended in much lower price.
that sale blew away the two previous realized prices in feb/march of this year for PSA 8's (reference VCP). Both of those were also nicely centered as well. This card was very similar to those, makes the previous highs of 1.3 and 1.6 mil back in feb/march of this year look like a steal. That card just always has buyers willing to pay more and dont see that ever changing.

Last edited by investinrookies; 07-11-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:53 PM
David M.

Well at least today we have a lot of really tired rich people!
Old 07-11-2021, 03:15 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Anyone win anything? Won the 1916 WS program. Wanted the Fatima Red Sox ad piece but no luck.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Hotchkiss
??

I won this. I wanted some other stuff but prices went beyond where I comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D72B9CCE-18FC-46D2-869C-CCB57857B954.jpg (8.9 KB, 614 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 07-11-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:23 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
??
Peter was quoting the earlier lower prices on the Gehrig compared to what they're going for now and asked "who knew?"
You timed the purchase of yours perfect, right before the run up. I think your purchase may have awakened a few folks to the significance of that card.

-

Last edited by Casey2296; 07-11-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:35 PM

My lone win, which will surprise no one, the image from a 2013 Goodwin auction. Reholdered in between sales.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1902-w600-sporting-life-cabinets-edward-j-delehanty.jpg (46.9 KB, 622 views)
Old 07-11-2021, 04:42 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Amazing card Scott, congrats!
Old 07-11-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Peter was quoting the earlier lower prices on the Gehrig compared to what they're going for now and asked "who knew?"
You timed the purchase of yours perfect, right before the run up.
Ohhh! Gotcha. Yea, but I still could have been (wish I was) on it earlier.

Scott, that Delahanty is awesome!! You paid up for it, but it’s worth it. Congrats!

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 07-11-2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:46 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I was in sensory overload with some many cards on my wish list and/or want list.
But I have been on the hunt for a 1914 CJ Joe Jackson Card to expand my Joe Jackson Collection that I had to pay up for it a bit. But I was happy with the results
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJJoejackson.jpg (69.6 KB, 604 views)

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-11-2021, 04:55 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Great pick up Jeff, congratulations. Now you have the red for red, white and blue day.

-
Old 07-11-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Ohhh! Gotcha. Yea, but I still could have been (wish I was) on it earlier.

Scott, that Delahanty is awesome!! You paid up for it, nuts it’s worth it. Congrats!
Thanks, it upgraded my 1902 Type 1. I assumed it might bring 50-70k based on other tough/high grade SL cabinets but was pleasantly surprised at the results. As we know Ed died in July 1903, SL discontinued offering his cabinet shortly after, the type 2 is actually scarcer than the type 1.

Last edited by sb1; 07-11-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:07 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

My lone pickup. Very happy to finally add one:

Old 07-11-2021, 05:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

The West is a grail for sure. All these years later I am beating myself up for not bidding on a PSA 5 1960 Oscar.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:23 PM

Damn Jeff. GREAT pick up. I am proud to be the owner of your former CJ; this one is certainly an upgrade for you. Personally, I love the caramel stains
Old 07-11-2021, 05:44 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Great pick up Jeff, congratulations. Now you have the red for red, white and blue day.
Thanks. Now I have to figure out the right blue card that fits my collection

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth