NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-10-2014, 11:34 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Default Share Your Non-Sport Photos Thread

I came across these old images of interesting photos I examined for a non-sport auction house a while back. Thought it might be the start of an interesting thread.

Original photo of the first ever airplane fatality: 1908 crash of a Wright Brothers' plane, killing a US Army officer who was a passenger. Carrying the body on a stretcher, the plane in behind. The test was for the Army, thus the soldiers on horseback. The Wright Brothers were wary of photographers, so photos of many of their early test flights don't exist.

1870s cabinet card photograph of Laura Bridgman, the first blind deaf person to learn English and a celebrity in her day. Predated Helen Keller. She led a full life, became educated and a celebrity in her day. Her education started as a child with a patient tutor who communicated by tapping on her hand.

1860s CDV showing the hanging of Abraham Lincoln's conspirators. Tax stamp on back.

Igor Stravinsky at the piano by Arnold Newman. Famous image shot in 1946, printed by the photographer in 1976. The back has Newman's personal handwritten return address.

Last edited by drcy; 06-10-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM

My only one. An 1870s CDV of General Sherman. It's hard to see but he's signed the CDV just beneath his photo:

Old 06-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Shawn England

Default "Armless Wonder"

Here is a CDV of the "Armless Wonder" Jesse Feary. The photo is picturing Jesse at his writing table with a pen in his mouth. On the back, it is signed (I believe by Jesse himself) "Jesse Feary, New York City, Age 21, 1884". I have done some online research and have found where Jesse performed at Worth's Palace Museum in New York & at the Donaldson's Dime Museum along side other Circus Side Show Freaks. Unfortunately for Jesse, it appears he had fallen on hard times later in his life - arrested for begging, losing his legs and even asking for a Pardon on a letter written "with his teeth". I no longer own this CDV.

I found an amazing story about him, see below: Pennies in His Mouth!

5. New York Times Aug. 10th 1902

MOUTH FULL OF MONEY

Armless Beggar's Queer Coin Receptacle Made Him Dumb.

An armless beggar who said he was Jesse Ferry failed to heed the advice of Main Street policemen when they told him to move along yesterday afternoon, so he was locked up at Police Station No. 1 charged with vagrancy. Ferry says he came to Buffalo from Cleveland yesterday morning. At all events he camped on the sidewalk in front of one of the department stores bright and early. Ferry has no arms. He doesn't need any in his business, it seems, for he uses his mouth as a coin-catcher. The men of the Main Street squad are generally lenient with beggars, giving them one or more chances to get off the street. Ferry was no exception.

Nearly every one of the First Precinct's Main Street men told him to move along. He did change his position about half a dozen times and for a few hours he left the streets. About 4:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon a woman approached Patrolman Williamson at Main and Seneca Streets.

"There's a poor armless man down there," she said, pointing in the direction of Exchange Street. "But he's very foolish and I'm sure he'll have all kinds of terrible diseases. Just think! He catches all those dirty coins in his mouth and he leaves them there, too."

Williamson recognized in Ferry the same armless beggar he had warned to leave Main Street earlier in the day. He took him to the station house and on the way noticed that his prisoner had nothing whatever to say. The Desk Sergeant asked Ferry his name, but got no reply.

"Maybe he's dumb as well as armless." said the Sergeant to Williamson. "Search him and lock him up."

The officer did as he was ordered. He pulled out several handfuls of pennies and nickels and heaped them on the desk. Ferry submitted to the search and when his property was all out before him he spoke. This is what he said in a muffled,. gurgling kind of a voice:

"You ain't got 'em all yet."

Then he opened wide his mouth, leaned slightly so that his head was above the desk, and out rolled about thirty pennies. The Desk Sergeant gasped and Williamson made a frantic effort to keep the coins from rolling on the floor.

"I kin carry twice as many as that there." said Ferry, as he was led back to the cell room.

A count of the pennies showed he had nearly $6 in his possession when arrested. The police say he probably got all that money yesterday from kind-hearted people. - Buffalo Express.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fraryF (627x1024).jpg (67.1 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg fraryB (1024x625).jpg (72.2 KB, 213 views)
Old 06-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Nice thread,

Spooky ghost on reverse,

Last edited by Ladder7; 06-10-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Clint

Great photos so far. Here's a few from my dad's collection.

CDV of a treasury note that was back stamped from the US Treasury.

Cabinet photo showing the plight of the grasshopper invasion in Kansas 1870's.

Two mounted images of the Bloody Benders 1873. They were a family of serial killers. These photos show them locating the bodies of their victims. The family was never found and remains a mystery today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Benders
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cdvust.jpg (32.8 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg grangers.jpg (81.0 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg bbenders.jpg (74.5 KB, 178 views)
Old 06-11-2014, 01:55 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The ghosted photo may be a platinum print transfer. If a vintage platinum print (a high end art-quality form of black and white photography) came into contact with other sheet of paper, folder or book page for a long time the image could transfer to the sheet. Platinum prints were made using real platinum and were largely discontinued around WWII when the price of platinum rose. It was reintroduced in modern times for art photography.

Last edited by drcy; 06-11-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:18 AM
Shawn England

Default Photo of a Picture of a picture!!!

Heres a CDV I have... Its a photo of a Picture hanging on a wall with a CDV of a sailor stuck in the corner of the frame!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boatF.jpg (73.6 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg boatFC.jpg (39.1 KB, 166 views)
Old 06-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default love the stories

suggested by a good photograph. As I mostly collect photographs that were premiums or advertising for 19th century tobacco or those of the day's luminaries like Buffalo Bill - many lack a story but are interesting in their own right as historical markers or suggest by default a moment in time meant to increase a product's sales. I have about 100. Here are a few from Duke - all "store cards" meant to be displayed in a window or on a counter. As I happen to be putting my inventory together on my computer - I'll try and post a few I think are interesting. Regret that I sold many of my circus oddities and unusual people doing unusual things cabinets but I can't keep it all - I'm always interested in obtaining more of these from the major manufacturers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (73.4 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (57.9 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (76.8 KB, 154 views)
Old 06-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default The dag's and ambro's

are in a seperate display but I'll try and post a few. I collect tobacco stuff and occasionally playing card related material. Here are some CDV's and tintypes. Take note of the man playing chess with himself (that is if you can take your eyes off of my girlfriend) - it's left over from when I chased early trick photography.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0007.jpg (71.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (72.0 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (76.4 KB, 151 views)
Old 06-11-2014, 05:32 PM
FredYoung

Those photos are TREMENDOUS, as are the stories! They all should be in Ripley's Believe It or Not!
Old 06-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Sebastian

Im currently living in Jackson so I was excited to bring these three CDV's home, Purchased from a seller in Greece. uploadfromtaptalk1402946467212.jpguploadfromtaptalk1402946482341.jpg
Old 06-16-2014, 03:54 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I pick up old pictures of Harleys....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldharley.jpg (52.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg oldharley4.jpg (71.9 KB, 63 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 06-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-17-2014, 10:42 AM
J@son M1ller

Old 06-17-2014, 10:53 AM
David McDonald

Born to be wild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post