NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-28-2022, 05:01 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
1. Yes, but if he's not looking to sell he could use the grading fee to afford more cards.

2. Also yes, but if doing the grading to sell, most people feel PSA graded items sell for more than other TPG graded items, so using SGC may not be considered a good grading option.

3. Yes once more, but you can only control that when sending to the TPG. What about when it is being back to you? Can you dictate to any/all the TPGs you may use how they have to return it to you?
Good points. In the old days, the grading companies used USPS registered mail for return delivery with insurance but I no longer grade cards so they may well use FedEX and UPS exclusively in today's world so your 3rd point is well taken.
Old 10-28-2022, 06:33 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
Good points. In the old days, the grading companies used USPS registered mail for return delivery with insurance but I no longer grade cards so they may well use FedEX and UPS exclusively in today's world so your 3rd point is well taken.
Randy, just so you know, was not trying to put your points down at all, they are all good points. It is just that there are other conflicting points that also can be valid in questions of grading or not grading, and deciding which TPG to use if you do go the grading route. There is no right or wrong answer, and it is ultimately up to the person that owns the card to decide what they, and they alone, are comfortable in doing.

And when asked by someone like the OP, the best we can do is try to present and give as many different options, along with the pros and cons of each, to the various alternatives and choices available so the person asking has as much info as possible to make the best informed decision for themself that they can. All good, and hopefully whatever the OP chooses and ends up doing satisfies and makes him happy.

Last edited by BobC; 10-28-2022 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:17 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Randy, just so you know, was not trying to put your points down at all, they are all good points. It is just that there are other conflicting points that also can be valid in questions of grading or not grading, and deciding which TPG to use if you do go the grading route. There is no right or wrong answer, and it is ultimately up to the person that owns the card to decide what they, and they alone, are comfortable in doing.

And when asked by someone like the OP, the best we can do is try to present and give as many different options, along with the pros and cons of each, to the various alternatives and choices available so the person asking has as much info as possible to make the best informed decision for themself that they can. All good, and hopefully whatever the OP chooses and ends up doing satisfies and makes him happy.
I totally agree. The owner always makes the decision and the good thing about this forum is there are varying expert opinions for virtually any question. I certainly took no offense at your points. Again, I buy some graded cards but stopped grading myself because obviously I cannot see well enough with a 10 power loupe to find the defects that always caused my expected 7's to be actual 5's.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:40 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
I totally agree. The owner always makes the decision and the good thing about this forum is there are varying expert opinions for virtually any question. I certainly took no offense at your points. Again, I buy some graded cards but stopped grading myself because obviously I cannot see well enough with a 10 power loupe to find the defects that always caused my expected 7's to be actual 5's.
LOL

I hear you. I don't send anything in to be graded either. Only once submitted some items directly to SGC at a show to get them authenticated. And also like you, I've bought a lot of graded cards over the years. Not necessarily because I wanted to, but because no comparable raw versions were readily available at the time.