NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-13-2021, 12:48 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Default PWCC - Sorry, Yet Again

I am sure that many have noticed there is a new element now incorporated in the current version of their new auction rollout; there is now extended bidding, not possible when they were under the arm pit of Ebay.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:52 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

If their ebay site was an armpit, I'm afraid to say what their own auction house would be...
Old 10-13-2021, 01:44 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I am sure that many have noticed there is a new element now incorporated in the current version of their new auction rollout; there is now extended bidding, not possible when they were under the arm pit of Ebay.
Extended bidding for their monthly auctions? Or, just for their Premier auctions?
Old 10-13-2021, 01:49 PM
Peter Nordquist

I wonder why so many people waste so much time being critical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2021, 02:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjere View Post

Of course, why be critical?

Old 10-13-2021, 04:31 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

As a buyer or a seller, I like this new auction structure with the sliding bidding windows. If an item gets a bid during the current window, it gets pushed to the next window. If it doesn't, it ends at the completion of the current window.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:38 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:

Umm, because they are knee-deep in the card doctoring scandal and got thrown off eBay for enabling shill bidding on a massive scale. But nothing to see, folks, just look at the labels on the holders and move along.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-14-2021 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:51 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Umm, because they are knee-deep in the card doctoring scandal and got thrown off eBay for enabling shill bidding on a massive scale. But nothing to see, folks, just look at the labels on the holders and move along.
I wish all well that wants to use their new platform.

However, for me I will watch from the side lines do to past concerns with PWCC

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-14-2021, 08:04 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Must need time to check out bidder Ids to prevent shilling up to the max bids

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-14-2021, 08:12 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Forget the extended bidding, did you see

the new 20% Buyers premium!?

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:53 PM
Peter Nordquist

Quote:

My point is what’s done is done yet they are still brought up once a month or more simply to complain about them again. I have had some good and some bad experiences with them.
The ebay thing is a bit sketchy on both sides. In my experience pwcc was 10x harder on bidders than ebay was. I was kicked off twice for at least 6 months for the simplest of mistakes:
one time bid $700 instead of $70 and was blocked from bidding because I cancelled the bid.
Another time I was selling some cards that were later relisted because of nonpayment but for some reason weren’t in my member porthole on pwcc and I ended up bidding on one of my own cards (it was a psa 10 prizm Qb of which there were multiple so the error was an easy mistake; once again blocked for the error.
In my opinion ebay saw the writing on the wall and decided to cut off pwcc instead of letting them use their site to create more clientele for when they were going to open their own marketplace anyway.

Old 10-16-2021, 01:38 PM
Chuck Tapia

[QUOTE=Pjere;2153995]My point is what’s done is done yet they are still brought up once a month or more simply to complain about them again. I have had some good and some bad experiences with them.

Yeah, what's done is done, LOL...Here's the lube. Bend over, only a few more thrusts and we're done.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

[QUOTE=Fuddjcal;2154523]
Quote:
My point is what’s done is done yet they are still brought up once a month or more simply to complain about them again. I have had some good and some bad experiences with them.

Yeah, what's done is done, LOL...Here's the lube. Bend over, only a few more thrusts and we're done.
As we know, long as you got the stuff, people don't care what you've done or been accused of.

A terrorist group could run a successful auction with good material.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-16-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:16 PM
Peter Nordquist

Yeah, what's done is done, LOL...Here's the lube. Bend over, only a few more thrusts and we're done.[/QUOTE]

Wow you are disgusting

Last edited by Pjere; 10-22-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:12 PM
Chase

Quote:
There ya go injecting truth into things again but that will not stop some.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:32 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

You'd have to have your head, and your conscience, examined if you still bid with these guys. You are only "fooling" yourself, and it is only a matter of time. Greedy does make for a hungry puppy.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:22 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
You'd have to have your head, and your conscience, examined if you still bid with these guys. You are only "fooling" yourself, and it is only a matter of time. Greedy does make for a hungry puppy.
I've read enough to know that their actions have been thoroughly investigated by the FBI for the laundry list of accusations made on the Blowhard forums. If any of the more serious accusations hold any water whatsoever, then they will be prosecuted. I trust the criminal justice system, for the most part, at least in cases like this. If there is significant wrongdoing by PWCC, we will find out. At that point, I will decide whether or not to continue doing business with them based on those findings. Until then, I will continue to reserve judgment.

Any day now... any day now...
Old 10-22-2021, 05:04 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I dont know, you used the past tense. You seem pretty confident they were investigated and found of no wrong doing. Maybe you should be their mouthpiece, even more so than just a "contrarian " here on channel n54.

I'd advise then to make a statement like

"Hey dudes, we are real salt of the earth kindred spirit folk out here on the Oregon trail. We were investigatED, and subsequently found not guilty, of any wrong doing by the FBI. Ebay claims of people shill bidding in association with PWCC are unsubstantiated. Bid early and often with one ID for your next conserved investment vehicle"

Silence speaks volumes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 10-22-2021, 05:08 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
You seem pretty confident they were investigated and found of no wrong doing.

I don't see how you can draw this conclusion after reading what I just wrote.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:19 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I don't see how you can draw this conclusion after reading what I just wrote.
The FBI and Ebay must just be picking on them. Ebay you claimed it was because they were starting their own "platform". Which a board member pointed out to you it was just going to be items for sale. Once they were

kicked off all of a sudden became auctions. Curious if you know if they were they also going into investigations so the FBI began investigating them? Maybe it was just background checks so they could become private investigators?

I'm not sure why they are drawing all this attention, but think I'll steer clear, despite proof of any wrong doing. I guess OJ was actually proven innocent too. He must just be "wrongly accused, and worth doing business with" in snowman's book of integrity.

Old 10-22-2021, 06:03 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
The FBI and Ebay must just be picking on them. Ebay you claimed it was because they were starting their own "platform". Which a board member pointed out to you it was just going to be items for sale. Once they were

kicked off all of a sudden became auctions. Curious if you know if they were they also going into investigations so the FBI began investigating them? Maybe it was just background checks so they could become private investigators?

I'm not sure why they are drawing all this attention, but think I'll steer clear, despite proof of any wrong doing. I guess OJ was actually proven innocent too. He must just be "wrongly accused, and worth doing business with" in snowman's book of integrity.

You seem to want to project conclusions onto me. You're not understanding what I keep saying. I don't know what happened. I have zero insider knowledge. I also don't believe anyone else here knows what happened either. Again, I'm agnostic.

My point about eBay potentially wanting to tarnish PWCC's reputation isn't me pretending to know what is happening. It's just a counterpoint to the arguments that you guys keep making where you pretend to know that eBay has proof of PWCC themselves engaging in shill bidding, or that the FBI is pressuring eBay into this decsision. Sure, both are plausible, but you don't know that to be true, and it certainly cannot even be assumed from the wording of the email they sent out. You are the one claiming you know what happened here. Not me. Again, I remain agnostic, but I point out that there are other legitimate possibilities in play, and that eBay coming after a competitor is certainly one of them. eBay has a strong track record of coming after their competition. This is not some far-fetched conspiracy theory. It is one of many plausible explanations. That's all I'm saying.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:31 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Prosecutors generally don't have to prosecute cases that are likely to succeed. Instead they use the threat of prosecution to force the company to "voluntarily" make changes necessary to prevent recurrance of the proscribed activity. If Brent and Betsy "dance" perfectly, they may be able to blame "everything" on him, transfer his control/interest to her, commit to internal controls designed to prevent recurrance, and pay a whopping fine. The company could then go forward, led by Betsy and/or a new CEO.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2021, 02:47 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
Prosecutors generally don't have to prosecute cases that are likely to succeed. Instead they use the threat of prosecution to force the company to "voluntarily" make changes necessary to prevent recurrance of the proscribed activity. If Brent and Betsy "dance" perfectly, they may be able to blame "everything" on him, transfer his control/interest to her, commit to internal controls designed to prevent recurrance, and pay a whopping fine. The company could then go forward, led by Betsy and/or a new CEO.

Would this be discoverable if something like this were to occur? I could see how something like this could be on the table if the crimes were somewhat negligible, but if you read the allegations on Blowhard, we're talking about levels of fraud that far exceed that of what even Mastro did. If all (or even just the majority of) those allegations are true, might they still pursue such a soft punishment? I just have a difficult time buying the idea that PWCC committed massive fraud and that Brent just received a slap on the wrist because that's just how these things go.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:37 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

If what many on this and other forums believe is true/provable, Brent will end up pleading to something. From the company's perspective, whatever happened was an unfortunate part of the past but will never be repeated.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:47 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Just an add-on item to a PWCC thread, did anyone know that they keep your cards if they don’t get the minimum $10 bid at auction?

I just found this when reading through all their terms and faqs. Out of the 40,000+ cards for sale during their first monthly auction, almost 3000 went without bids and are now owned by PWCC. Wonder if all those owners were made clearly aware of that possibility or if it will be a surprise.
- Will.i.am $t@dy

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.

Last edited by CardPadre; 09-11-2022 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:19 AM
Mike P.ap

Default PWCC is bonkers.....

I just got a very personalized email from PWCC telling me that the items I had in their last auction were sold and will be paid out in time.

Funny thing is......I pulled ALL of my cards from them about 6 months ago and breathed a big sigh of relief when I finally got everything back.

I can't wait to see what I sold (lol) ........ that I did not even have in their auction!

Crazy times indeed!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 11-01-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
I just got a very personalized email from PWCC telling me that the items I had in their last auction were sold and will be paid out in time.

Funny thing is......I pulled ALL of my cards from them about 6 months ago and breathed a big sigh of relief when I finally got everything back.

I can't wait to see what I sold (lol) ........ that I did not even have in their auction!

Crazy times indeed!

Peace, Mike
If the purchased cards just go into the vault and show up only on a vault account, think of the Ponzi schemes they could run, selling phantom cards they no longer actually have in possession.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-01-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:51 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
Just an add-on item to a PWCC thread, did anyone know that they keep your cards if they don’t get the minimum $10 bid at auction?

I just found this when reading through all their terms and faqs. Out of the 40,000+ cards for sale during their first monthly auction, almost 3000 went without bids and are now owned by PWCC. Wonder if all those owners were made clearly aware of that possibility or if it will be a surprise.
- William Stady

I believe you may have misunderstood their policy. It sounds like they're saying that if a card in their auction gets no bids that they keep it to relist in their next auction, not that they actually own the card. I imagine that if/when the card sells in a subsequent auction that they still send the net proceeds from the sale to the original consignor. Sounds like they're trying to protect themselves from the effort and costs of dealing with people who send them items that end up not being worth even the initial bid amount they set their auctions at. Not sure how they actually handle the determination and acceptance of consigned items, but this policy may keep them from having to expend the time and incur the shipping costs of constantly having to send back items that aren't worth their standard minimum auction starting bid.

Last edited by BobC; 11-01-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I believe you may have misunderstood their policy. It sounds like they're saying that if a card in their auction gets no bids that they keep it to relist in their next auction, not that they actually own the card. I imagine that if/when the card sells in a subsequent auction that they still send the net proceeds from the sale to the original consignor. Sounds like they're trying to protect themselves from the effort and costs of dealing with people who send them items that end up not being worth even the initial bid amount they set their auctions at. Not sure how they actually handle the determination and acceptance of consigned items, but this polcy may keep them from having to expend the time and incur the shipping costs of constantly having to send back items that aren't worth their standard minimum auction starting bid.
Yes, they obviously (even if it is Brent lol) aren't just keeping people's cards as their own. They just mean they won't individually relist it after the auction. They could have worded it better.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-01-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:57 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Maybe I did misinterpret it, absolutely possible. But it literally says "the item will be forfeited to pwcc". No one else reads that as pwcc actually taking ownership of the card?
Old 11-01-2021, 11:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Maybe I did misinterpret it, absolutely possible. But it literally says "the item will be forfeited to pwcc". No one else reads that as pwcc actually taking ownership of the card?
You have to read it in light of the last sentence. It's poorly worded to be sure.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:12 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I agree with you it sounds like they get ownership of your card if it doesn't meet their $10 min bid. They are doing this instead of charging you fees for a low end item that didn't sell.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:54 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
I read it that way. It's wholly unambiguous. Even in context, it's quite clear that they are stating that they are taking ownership of the card(s) and do not intend to ever give them back to you. Presumably they would compensate you if and when the card actually sells.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:06 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

This has always been in place for PWCC. Four Sharp Corners has the same thing in place. Although I don’t agree with it is in their consignment guidelines.

Old 11-01-2021, 03:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

So if they aren't able to sell a card, they get rewarded by keeping it. Makes sense to me.

Old 11-01-2021, 03:46 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Many truly unspectacular slabbed cards can bring $10 with the right eyes on them. If I remember correctly, there was a 1953 Topps baseball common in psa 7 that went unsold. Some set collector who needed it would have jumped on it if seen. And if two saw it and needed it, gets bid up. What doesn’t sell one time for $10, could do double that another time.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:02 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
If I remember correctly, there was a 1953 Topps baseball common in psa 7 that went unsold. Some set collector who needed it would have jumped on it if seen. And if two saw it and needed it, gets bid up. What doesn’t sell one time for $10, could do double that another time.
This is where it starts to get dicey for me. A card that definitely has value but slips through the cracks because the right buyers weren't present for this particular auction. However, that's more the buyer's fault than PWCC's I would say. A card like this never sells until the right buyer comes along, and there aren't very many of them. I would never even consider selling a card like this at auction. This is one of those cards that you just put in your eBay store as a 'Buy-it-now' and wait for that one set collector who needs it to come along X number of months later. The likelihood of this card ending up in a bidding war on PWCC is extremely low. The seller should have known that. And even if it did sell, what's he missing out on? A few bucks?

I would be interested to hear what Scott's view on extremely low valued cards is. I assume most auction houses do not want to even bother with them, and the ones that do merely offer it as a courtesy for sellers with larger collections and other higher priced items to sell. But I promise you, they don't want someone sending in 100 $10 cards to list in their next auction, even if it means they get to keep all 100 of them if they don't sell.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:04 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:

I would be interested to hear what Scott's view on extremely low valued cards is. I assume most auction houses do not want to even bother with them, and the ones that do merely offer it as a courtesy for sellers with larger collections and other higher priced items to sell. But I promise you, they don't want someone sending in 100 $10 cards to list in their next auction, even if it means they get to keep all 100 of them if they don't sell.
If you mean me, while we aren't a major player, we're not looking for $10 cards. We take them as a courtesy to consignors who provide us with better items as well, but we start them at $1. We have less than 1% no sales, and typically move the few we have into a future auction for the original consignor. If someone wants them back we send them back, our dime.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-01-2021, 06:47 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Cant shill without one bid I guess. Prevent those sold items from being relisted month after month before being dumped on some speculator like they did on ebay.

Old 11-02-2021, 01:36 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
If you mean me, while we aren't a major player, we're not looking for $10 cards. We take them as a courtesy to consignors who provide us with better items as well, but we start them at $1. We have less than 1% no sales, and typically move the few we have into a future auction for the original consignor. If someone wants them back we send them back, our dime.
I like this approach better than PWCC's. Definitely more personable and better customer service. But I also think you guys are likely dealing with a more sophisticated consignor base. I could see a situation where it becomes problematic though if it gets to the point where your user base expands and you get people taking advantage of this courtesy by just sending you all of their junk cards and having you do all the work required to list/sell them. There is surely a dollar figure below which consigning a card cannot be done at a profit for the auction houses, and I'd wager good money that this amount is likely much higher than $10. But, as you say, it's a courtesy to take those low-value cards, and I assume one that is offered strategically so as not to lose a customer to a competing auction house who accepts both their junk and their Ty Cobbs.

I think if I were starting an auction house, I would probably take this approach as well. Just be overly generous with your resources and time and offer the best customer service possible. However, I also realize that at scale, there likely would come a point where a company often outgrows this personal relationship with most of their clients and where preventing consigners from taking advantage of your generosity (whether knowingly or not) becomes something that's necessary to guard against.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:55 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I think it's a shitty thing to do to your consignors if it's just some random line item that nobody reads hidden away in your TOS. But if it's made extremely clear upfront that this is how they handle low-value items, and if there is some sort of an escape clause offered for $100+ cards that somehow snuck through the cracks, then I think it's a perfectly reasonable way to handle things. But the communication aspect of it should be made very clear to the person consigning. I don't know how well they market this information though? I know I was aware of it ever since I looked into consigning with them over a year ago (which I ultimately never did), but I don't recall how I came upon that information. I'm sure I read more than the average person consigning cards does, so it may have been the result of me information hunting moreso than it was a result of them over-communicating. I can't remember.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:54 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
I could see a situation where it becomes problematic though if it gets to the point where your user base expands and you get people taking advantage of this courtesy by just sending you all of their junk cards and having you do all the work required to list/sell them.
Well we do tell people, "No, thank you, we're not interested" on a regular basis. We don't have people just mailing us cards unannounced and expecting us to sell them.

We definitely do NOT make any money on $10 cards. Realistically somewhere around $50 is where profit starts.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions