NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2020, 08:49 AM

Default Sad News Folks sorry Long Time Collector Fred Roniger

I have dealt with Fred for years, he is an oldtimer collector out of St. Louis. He resides in Oregon now. He recently purchased my 1953 Hunter's Meats Near set off ebay and when I saw a return request pop up 10 days later, I knew something was off.

I called and his wife said he was close to the end and my box hadn't even been opened. So sad indeed. Fred is a TRUE COLLECTOR.

Prayers and Best Thoughts for the Roniger family please.

Dan Mckee
Old 12-16-2020, 08:58 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Thoughts and prayers Dan.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:08 AM
Robert Williams

That's sad....he was in the game up to the end.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sorry to hear that. Always sad to hear about old time collectors going, or getting ready to go, to the great collection in the sky. Prayers to the family and friends...
Old 12-16-2020, 09:23 AM
Mark Macrae

Very sorry to hear Dan. I only met Fred about a decade or so back when he moved to Oregon. He attended and set up at the annual Washington State shows. We enjoyed some great conversations. Definitely a good guy
Old 12-16-2020, 09:25 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Sorry to hear that. Always sad to hear about old time collectors going, or getting ready to go, to the great collection in the sky. Prayers to the family and friends...
So sorry to hear that, Danny, it's a shame he didn't get to open the box and see them before he passed. All of our collections will come to an end some day, though, not a bad thing to keep in mind for those of us lucky enough to still be opening our boxes.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:57 AM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
So sorry to hear that, Danny, it's a shame he didn't get to open the box and see them before he passed. All of our collections will come to an end some day, though, not a bad thing to keep in mind for those of us lucky enough to still be opening our boxes.
As I've read on here before, these cards don't belong to us, we are just caretakers holding onto them for a little while. Thoughts for Fred and those that knew him.

Last edited by oldeboo; 12-16-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeboo View Post
As I've read on here before, these cards don't belong to us, we are just caretakers holding onto them for a little while. Thoughts for Fred and those that knew him.
That is the one thing my dad said to me that allowed me to sell my 1894 Baltimore Orioles Photo Engraving set!

He said "son, you know you are only a temporary custodian of those cards, they are going to outlast you by far"

Miss you Pops!

Dan Mckee
Old 12-16-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Yes I thought the same thing Hank! Would have brought him some last minute joy to see them!
Old 12-16-2020, 02:53 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Wow. This is really crappy to hear. Seeing Fred was always one of the bright spots of the WSSCA shows. He was a character and always fun to talk to. He was a good guy and an old school collector.... cards in rubber bands, etc., and put together an awesome collection. He’ll be missed for sure.

Last edited by conor912; 12-16-2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:39 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default On stage

Fred is a cool guy, I was always pleased to see him at the WSSCA show.
He always had interesting offerings on his table, stuff he just had extras of.
I always felt as though he was a collector first and a seller only so he collect more.
He loved the Cardinals!

I’ve got quite a few cards that originated from his table “on the stage “ at the Meridian school. He occupied that spot for a long time.

I’m sad to hear about this. His family should know that he was well respected in the hobby community!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:24 AM
Randy Trierweiler

I am very sad to hear of Fred's passing. Fred was the first president of the St. Louis Sports Collectors group in the mid 1970s. The early St. Louis card shows were held at the Holiday Inn in Edwardsville, Ill. I was 14-15 years old at the time and Fred was very kind to me. I also got to know Buck Barker very well at these early shows. I had dealt with Fred as recently as 2 years ago, selling him some rare 1953 B&W Cardinal photos from a presentation album. He was as true a collector as there is. RIP Fred.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:25 PM
R!CK LYON$

Loved to buy things from Fred. He always had lots of oddball stuff for sell. I bought these hunter meats cards from him several years ago. He always had his cardinals jacket on up on the stage at the show. Super nice guy enjoyed talking to him. I got most of my Glendale hot dogs from him.
Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3A846DA1-9504-4EB6-B533-5616EB44D2F0.jpg (16.4 KB, 152 views)
Old 12-23-2020, 06:04 PM

Default Sad news indeed

Fred was a great guy. Always friendly, a pleasure to deal with, and throwing off good vibes.
He’ll be missed for sure.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:19 PM
Glyn Parson

Sad news I can picture the cardinals jacket.