NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Jason K

Default Have two 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson #2s, value, and what to do with them?

Hey guys,

I was lucky enough to come across these classics pictured below for free and I am kind of curious what they are worth in their current conditions. I don't collect many sports cards anymore and this era was never my specialty (I was mainly in to the 70's-90's). I've read up enough on it to figure out what it is and gather a bit more knowledge on it. Im posting this on various sites to get varied opinions as well.

I am not looking to keep these, they will probably help fund my rare shoes and vintage star wars collections. Thus I am curious on a few things.

What could I expect to get for them as is?
Should I grade them?
If so what be a reasonable price for them then?

I've looked in to SGC and PSA and Ive been leaning towards SGC, they can both be done and shipped for about $52 via SGC and people seem to favor them for earlier years.

Appreciate the help. Years ago I would have loved to have had these but Id much rather ebay them or sell them online and get more of the things I still collect.

Last edited by JSK23; 05-30-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:34 PM

You will net the most after grading them by SGC yourself.

I think after recent events that is your best option.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Jason K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
You will net the most after grading them by SGC yourself.

I think after recent events that is your best option.
I already did an online submission with SGC, just hadn't boxed them up or wrote the check yet, as seemed like the best option from reading around.

Mind clarifying the "recent events" issue that may have changed things of late?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSK23 View Post
I already did an online submission with SGC, just hadn't boxed them up or wrote the check yet, as seemed like the best option from reading around.

Mind clarifying the "recent events" issue that may have changed things of late?
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169575
Old 05-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Jason K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Thanks, sounds like quite the mess. I wasn't really looking to "deal" on here, mainly hoping for information, but that is something to keep in mind regardless.

Ill probably get the cards out in the next couple of days and then just have to wait a couple of weeks for them to come back through.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSK23 View Post
Thanks, sounds like quite the mess. I wasn't really looking to "deal" on here, mainly hoping for information, but that is something to keep in mind regardless.

Ill probably get the cards out in the next couple of days and then just have to wait a couple of weeks for them to come back through.
I also want to note they should be anywhere between $300+ a piece. Assuming 2's $500+

Last edited by Sean1125; 05-31-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Having bought and sold 2-3 of those exact cards, and collecting BBs for the last 2 years, here's my thoughts:

I would submit them to PSA rather than SGC, especially if you are planning on selling them. I know that most people here love SGC (and I do think they are a great option for pre-war), I think you'll do better sale wise with PSA. Either way, though, you should definitely get them graded.

As far as $ goes -

The Bond Bread cards aren't commanding what they once were in the past, at least in terms of auctions. I would list them as a BIN on eBay with Best Offer, and stick to your guns.

I sold my PSA 1.5 for $400 I believe. I sold my SGC50 for just over $1000.

I think yours would both grade in the 1.5-3 range, so Sean's estimates are pretty solid. If they came back as 3s, I would probably list them as BIN for $800, and see what kind of bites you get.

You are a lucky man to have come across them for free. The person who gave you those didn't happen to have the Throwing variation, did they? It's the only one I need for the set.

Here are my old cards, and my current one:

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 AM
Frank Hay-zer

When you get the cards back- rather than putting them on Ebay, getting whatever someone is willing to pay, and paying the 10% in fees- you might want to post it here with a 'buy it now' type price first..I think this would be the place where it would get the most attention.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:04 AM
Jason K

So PSA generally commands a premium over SGC on these older cards? Is that just from buyer-desired effect or would there be sales history to back that up? Everyone seems to rave about SGC here so I figured that was the standard. I may have to buy some card savers on ebay then as I only have top loaders and PSA doesn't seem to like those.

Im not big on the ebay fees, but generally the attention and market it reaches is worth the cost. I am a power seller on ebay of other collectibles but If I got comparable offers here I may consider it when they come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
You are a lucky man to have come across them for free. The person who gave you those didn't happen to have the Throwing variation, did they? It's the only one I need for the set.
They were actually left in an old house that was being flipped and the guy who bought it is a close friend of mine and passed them on to me knowing I was in to collectibles. I believe this was all there was, these random two cards put away in a drawer.

So currently upgraded they are around $300 a piece or was that under the assumption that I grade them? Are you suggesting at PSA "3" they should fetch $800 combined or individually?

Last edited by JSK23; 05-31-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Dan Studebaker

Check the Vintage Card Prices website to compare sales of PSA vs. SGC. I agree you would do better with PSA. I am confident PSA would take them in toploaders, don't send them to SGC just because you don't want to buy card savers.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 PM

There is very little VCP data for this card.

Grade these cards or you leave $$ on the table. Grading 1's they are roughly $300, 1.5 $400, 2 $500, any higher and they start jumping.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Jason K

Appreciate the help. They will for sure get graded. leaning towards PSA for flipping purposes, though the semi consensus seems that SGC seems to be more consistent and has better holders. Two things that don't concern me much.

I have some card keepers coming from a friend. Hopefully get these out next week to PSA. I'll keep you guys posted on what they come back as and maybe consider some offers here then. These should be really helpful in completing my loose c9 star wars vintage set.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 PM

Default Selling

When you get them back and want to sell let me know. My e-mail address is dentist8@me.com.
Thanks,
Danny
Old 06-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Jason K

They went out on Friday so it will probably probably be another 2 and a half weeks. I'll stop back through when they arrive.

Didn't realize how much slower PSA was versus SGC. =/
Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmelker View Post
When you get them back and want to sell let me know. My e-mail address is dentist8@me.com.
Thanks,
Danny
Danny, glad to see you on the board.

Shaun

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 06-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Jason K

Those are the cert numbers. Seems I did alright. A 2 and a 3.5. Grades just came in today. I assume I'll have the cards next week
Old 06-29-2013, 02:37 PM

Default Psa 6

My e-mail address is [email]dentist8@me.com
Thanks
Danny

Last edited by djmelker; 06-29-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:47 PM

Default Sgc 50

Clearing as I realized I was asking Charley Brown about his cards! Novice as you can tell!
Danny

Last edited by djmelker; 06-29-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Jason K

They have finally arrived:

Ill be posting them in the B/S/T forum sometime this weekend most likely, just wanted to put these up as I know a few people have asked about them.