NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 PM

Default Authenticity On These Psa Cards

I am looking to purchase these cards please advise if these are authentic as I have read there are fake psa holders being sold as real.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09 red cobb PSA 8 f 1_edited-1.jpg (60.9 KB, 1378 views)
File Type: jpg aaron psa 9 b 1.jpg (70.0 KB, 1373 views)
File Type: jpg img144.jpg (61.8 KB, 1403 views)
File Type: jpg img145.jpg (61.1 KB, 1369 views)
File Type: jpg PSA 8 red cobb back 1.jpg (70.0 KB, 1370 views)
Old 12-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The font on the Cobb flip is off.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Clayton

You forgot the front scan of the Hank Aaron card..........
Old 12-04-2009, 10:25 PM

Let me guess,

1) they were on Craigslist and are from California

or

2) you are trying to sell them?

David
Old 12-04-2009, 10:30 PM

They are from California and I did not see them on Craigslist I am considering buying them but am very cautious
Old 12-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Rob Miller

Just a hunch, but I think they are all bogus and would stay away.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Clayton

Like calvindog said-there seems to be something funny about the letter R on the flips............compared it to 20 different PSA graded cards I have and the letter R on the ones you are showing look different...I am no expert,just bored.......I wish I had that Cobb(minus the holder,that is)..........
Old 12-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Tim

Not 100% but if I had to guess and quote Elaine from Sienfeld:

"Fake, Fake, Fake, Fake!"
Old 12-04-2009, 11:00 PM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

All of the fake Aaron RCs coming out of California I've seen or heard of have been PSA 6 or 7. As advised by the others, I would avoid these cards like the plague.

Out of curiosity, what is the background story the seller has given you on the cards?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by baberuth714 View Post
They are from California and I did not see them on Craigslist I am considering buying them but am very cautious
No collection of fake cards is complete without a '33 Goudey Ruth and a '52 Topps Mantle. Ask the seller to dig around - he has them somewhere.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:39 AM
Barry Sloate

If you are not a veteran collector you should never, ever sink the kind of money into what those cards will cost you. Scammers prey on people with lots of money and little knowledge. This looks like the kind of deal that can only have an unhappy ending.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:22 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Condition

One of the things that bothers me about these cards is the condition. Look at the right border on the MJ card. There is quite a bit of chipping. No way that this card would grade a 10. Also, and it is difficult to tell because of the scans, on the back of the MJ the bull does not seem to be real sharp, which happens on fake cards.

An 8 for the Cobb also worries me. The back is stained, and from the back view, take a look at the right corners. Way too sharp.

I have had to walk away from several deals that included a fake Jordan. If this was my deal I would walk away from this one also.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 12-05-2009 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Corekted Speling
Old 12-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Frank Wakefield

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 03-20-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:31 AM

Default Real Vs Fake PSA Holder

There was a discussion a while back about the slight differences in fonts between a real PSA holder and the fakes on some of the high end cards you've noted. It is hard to spot. It was noted that the spacing between the letters was narrower on fakes. The "0's" also seemed to be a different width and as Jeff noted above the top loop in the R's was different.

Here are two scans of the T206 on a real flip and the one you posted above. Sorry about the poor quality scan but you can still see the difference in spacing between the letters. Maybe someone can post a better quality "real" T206 and it will be easier to see the difference.

The real T206 flip is below; for some reason I can't post bitmap images. Leon or Matt will have to convert the other image and post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Real PSA.jpg (8.4 KB, 817 views)
File Type: bmp Fake PSA T206.bmp (10.0 KB, 976 views)

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 12-05-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Problem adding bitmap image of the fake holder.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 AM

Default Real Vs Fake PSA Holder

And here is the T206 lettering in the holder you posted above.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Fake PSA T206.bmp (10.0 KB, 947 views)
Old 12-05-2009, 10:51 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

I have a few PSA cards that were slabbed in the mid 90s. Font was different back then too. Very different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1950BPSA7.jpg (11.3 KB, 807 views)
Old 12-06-2009, 05:52 AM
Scott

Default those cards are old news

those are the Craiglist Fakes from about (8 months ago)....

very poor Flips IMO...dont see how someone got taken.....

could be the seller got screwed, and he is just trying to screw someone back and recoup som eof his losses....
Old 12-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Peter Spaeth

The spacing on the serial numbers is slightly too close.

I would follow the 5-second rule used in the art world, if you aren't sure after five seconds that it's the real thing, assume it isn't.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-06-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Peter Spaeth

PSA does need to confront its security issues. While I suppose anything can be replicated with enough effort, it seems to me that holograms, which they used until perhaps the early 2000s, might help.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Joe M.

This is another Cobb PSA label. I had this graded in California at a show on site grading late 1990's.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobbpsalabel.jpg (13.1 KB, 718 views)
Old 12-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
PSA does need to confront its security issues. While I suppose anything can be replicated with enough effort, it seems to me that holograms, which they used until perhaps the early 2000s, might help.
I agree, Peter, but the problem is, what do you do with the millions of PSA cards already in the markeyplace? Changed slabs, holograms, a unique font for the labels, would have been great ideas years ago, but now... a little late.

(By the way, this discussion isn't unique to PSA. Any grading company making visible changes faces the same issues.)
Old 12-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

You guys have to remember that PSA is making plastic slabs for cardboard -- not weapons-grade plutonium. Adding any extra security measures which they believe are not cost-effective is not going to happen. Everyone sends their cards into PSA anyway...I don't expect any significant change coming into effect.

And frankly, it took me a millisecond to note that the flips were off on the cards posted in this thread. Incredibly, the thieves can make great looking fake cards but they can't create a good, fake flip as well?

Last edited by calvindog; 12-06-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Default Fake PSA Flip

Thanks Joe. That is what I was trying to show for comparison purposes. The font spacing is tighter on the Craigslist fakes than on the real PSA flips, even though everything else (aside from the obvious type font changes over the years) seems almost right.

Would anyone pay more to grade high end cards for a "more secure" flip & holder on your high end cards? This may result in more comfort to a potential buyer when the cards are eventually resold. I probably would on the high end cards I had graded. But offerring this option from grading companies would be an admission that there is a problem.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:57 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

These kinds of threads scare me. I guess when you buy a high priced item - trust in the seller is very important. I now see the fake flips. I didn't at first... I will say - PSA slabs seem the easiest to crack/reuse.

Fake cards are getting way too good also.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
You guys have to remember that PSA is making plastic slabs for cardboard -- not weapons-grade plutonium. Adding any extra security measures which they believe are not cost-effective is not going to happen. Everyone sends their cards into PSA anyway...I don't expect any significant change coming into effect.

And frankly, it took me a millisecond to note that the flips were off on the cards posted in this thread. Incredibly, the thieves can make great looking fake cards but they can't create a good, fake flip as well?

Only a matter of time before they focus on that. Holograms cannot be that expensive, they used them regularly for the first 10 years.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Johnny S

On any card worth over 100.00 or 250.00 they could include a small serial number card with a scan of front and back, it would be another step but they could include an extra small fee, or just a LOA with a scan of front and back, but I suppose those could be forged as well.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Pup6913

What I find the most amazing about this is that the Poster has only posted 3x's (all 3 on this thread) and everyone here is willing to just explain in minute detail how to correct the already fraudulant PSA flips. This way he can remake the flips over and over till he gets it right and then what?????

Isn't that how we learn about our cards. We ask and ask till it becomes ingrained and we can spot a fake a mile away. We learn from the best in our hobby and that knowledge is passed on and on to help.

So if we give these people what they need to learn how to fool us then isn't that like shooting yourself in the foot on purpose to see if it actually leaves a hole to see through.

It just concerns me about this kind of thing. Especially since he is a first time Poster/ect. This is just IMO
Old 12-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
What I find the most amazing about this is that the Poster has only posted 3x's (all 3 on this thread) and everyone here is willing to just explain in minute detail how to correct the already fraudulant PSA flips. This way he can remake the flips over and over till he gets it right and then what?????

Isn't that how we learn about our cards. We ask and ask till it becomes ingrained and we can spot a fake a mile away. We learn from the best in our hobby and that knowledge is passed on and on to help.

So if we give these people what they need to learn how to fool us then isn't that like shooting yourself in the foot on purpose to see if it actually leaves a hole to see through.

It just concerns me about this kind of thing. Especially since he is a first time Poster/ect. This is just IMO
There is only so much you can do when it comes to these idiot crooks. What comes around goes around and eventually they will get what's coming to them. The sad thing is if these people would use the talents and skills they have to make an honest buck they would probably be quite successful, but instead will most likely end up squealing like a pig in a prison cell sooner or later and rightfully so.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Clayton

Default You have a great point Andrew

I hate to admit it,but I seem to have trouble identifying fake flips (PSA) from legit ones.Usually when I buy PSA graded cards on Ebay(T206),I try to buy mostly from well known legit dealers(like tbarlage,for example).But I am learning alot from reading the board-and I appreciate all of the knowledge everyone on the board is so kind to share-thank you!!

I despise these fraudulent thieves who re-holder fake cards,make fake flips,doctor,alter,trim cards for the sole purpose of lining their pockets with their victims' hard earned cash.

It sucks to know these people cast a cloud over such a wonderful hobby.

Thank you to all of the card sellers who only sell legit!!!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Patrick N.

Default Bgs/bvg

As much as I despise Beckett, I have not heard of anyone being able to tamper with/replicate their holders...
Old 12-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
As much as I despise Beckett, I have not heard of anyone being able to tamper with/replicate their holders...
Send an altered card in and get a case back to start. Fake card or altered high dollar card next. BGS/BVG flips do not look that hard to duplicate as PSA's. Seal it and sell. Thing is BVG will not bring the most money for a card. This is why PSA seems to be the target.

Has anyone seen a fake SGC slab or flip??? I would love to see that if there is one.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Patrick N.

Default Bgs/bvg

holders are damn near impossible to crack and reuse and finding a cheap imitation of their holder would be much harder than PSAs, I reckon...
Old 12-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Pup6913

Pat I was saying like with any other grading service if you send a card in for grading and don't want it holdered if it is Authentic they will send you the holder back with the card. Got one back with a 56 Topps Robinson I had done several yrs back. All I need is a fake flip and a card and I am in. 1 card can be enough for the time being. Or maybe send in 3-4 with a larger order of crap cards and 3-4 fakes can be made for a few $. Sorry if I was unclear about this.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Kevin S.

The Cobb card is very interesting and worth studying. Not only is it highly probable that the flip has either been completely faked or doctored (as discussed in several previous threads) but, as some have mentioned, the card looks to be altered as well. Not only does it appear to be trimmed but if you look at the back there is "a chance" that it has a rebuilt corner as well...top left on the back.

This caught my eye; the edge chipping on the back left side runs up to the point where there is a slight shadow. It then turns inward. On a good rebuilt corner a shadow will sometimes be seen under a halogen when angled at just the right position. Here is an example from the rebuilt corner page on my website:

The Cobb back is tough to tell because the scan is somewhat small. I took the corner and increased the image size and tried to get the correct color shading to make it easier to see...still tough though.

Not only does the chipping stop at the suspected shadow (dark line) with a blatant inward turn, the top edge also is shadowed to the point where a suspected rebuilt corner may begin.

Is that corner rebuilt? Hard to tell, it could just be reshaped to sharpen the corner but it is certainly something to consider. It would be great to see in person.

Kevin Saucier
Old 12-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Jonathan Scheier

Credit goes to our division director here at Heritage Auctions Sports Collectibles division Chris Ivy for spotting this: the serial number of the Cobb t206 in question was actually lifted from a card we sold in our October 2009 Signature Auction. Here's the link:

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_ite...o=81002&src=pr

It's obviously pretty apparent that it is not the same card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lfCAL347MS.jpg (62.8 KB, 554 views)
Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
JonathanS@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign

Connect with Heritage at http://sports.HA.com/Connect
Old 12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Rob Miller

Wow, great work!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Chris Buckler

I just got an email from a guy named "ray rod jr"
email address: kalmanweiss1951@yahoo.com
Ebay user ID: cardboardtreasures311

He just offered to sell me the cards at 75% SMR. He emailed me through Ebay, so I have his Ebay id and his email address. The cards he sent in the scan are the exact ones you guys are questioning. I am going to notify Ebay that he is emailing Ebay sellers trying to sell phony cards.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:15 PM

Default Fake PSA

Wow great job guys.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 PM

Chris,

Go one step further and alert the FBI and the local police in the seller's area. Even if he isn't arrested, if the police or FBI show up at his door or make it known they are on to him, it might do some good.

David

P.S.

Also, since this was ripped off from a card that Heritage sold, eBay might take more interest IF Heritage talks to them about this or if the real owner of the Cobb card steps up and says something. PSA might become more interested as well.

Last edited by ctownboy; 12-07-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I just got an email from a guy named "ray rod jr"
email address: kalmanweiss1951@yahoo.com
Ebay user ID: cardboardtreasures311

He just offered to sell me the cards at 75% SMR. He emailed me through Ebay, so I have his Ebay id and his email address. The cards he sent in the scan are the exact ones you guys are questioning. I am going to notify Ebay that he is emailing Ebay sellers trying to sell phony cards.
Tell him you'd like to pay by check and you need his address. Then send the address to the FBI/Police.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Chris Buckler

Default Just got his contact info

I asked him if he would accept postal money orders, if so to send me his mailing address for payment.
He replied:"Yes I will accept postal money orders. do you have a SMR and do you know what the total is. i think the aaron books at 18k and the Jordan 6k and the cobb 14k total 38k so 75% would be 28k for all three cards. I will accept 28 postal money orders for 1k each let me know if that is cool with you. my address is

Raymud Rodriguez Jr
1674 Palm Ave #80
San Diego CA 92154"

I then contacted PSA directly, they asked me to forward the images and our correspondence (which I did). They said that the operations manager would be looking into this as soon as the emails were received.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default original poster

I have made a phone call and am very comfortable that the original poster in this thread is not a scammer but is helping all of us. I sincerely hope hope these fraudster(s) get their dues......best regards

Last edited by Leon; 12-07-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: gramma :)
Old 12-07-2009, 01:44 PM
D.B. Cooper

This get's a little creepier. I was wondering why a Raymud Rodriguez would have an email address of "KalmanWeiss1951." Sounded like someone's given name, and perhaps a not particularly common one (at least the first name, Kalman). So I googled Kalman Weiss and found a Kalman Weiss who was born in 1951. Matches the email address. Here's where it gets creepy. He passed away one month ago on November 3, 2009. His Ebay ID was changed on November 2nd.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

that is spooky... can't wait to read more on this. Great work guys.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Clayton

Default creepy is right

Sounds like Mr.Rodriguez needs to have a "sit-down" with the SDPD,for a lot of reasons.Then,after Mr.Rodriguez finishes explaining himself,he needs to be fitted with some shiney new custom fitted silver locking bracelets,and led away to his new home,the county jail.Fry this dirtbag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Barry Sloate

Stealing a dead person's i.d. is reprehensible...and my grandfather's brother's name was Kalman. It's an old fashioned name not seen too often today.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have made a phone call and am very comfortable that the original poster in this thread is not a scammer but is helping all of us. I sincerely hope hope these fraudster(s) get their dues......best regards

I am glad to hear this. I am also glad to hear that Chris found this guy and is going to turn him over to be prosecuted (hopefully)
Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Banned

YOU SORRY net54 posters. you will never catch the guy behind this NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. you think that address is legit. you got another thing comming. I strongly recomend you guys shut your mouths and just deal with the poison that has struck PSA and the hobby hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaha hahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahah CATCH THE GREAT ONE IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by vintageclassics; 12-08-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Banned

OH and one more thing you dushbags should know I read this board all the time and the CU bord for many years. i read all the post almost everyday. so if you dushbags think we dont know who you are. you got another thing comming. catch me if you can dush bags lololololololololololololololololololololololololh aqhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah i enjoyed taking all you dushbags money over the years.

Last edited by vintageclassics; 12-08-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageclassics View Post
OH and one more thing you dushbags should know I read this board all the time and the CU bord for many years. i read all the post almost everyday. so if you dushbags think we dont know who you are. you got another thing comming. catch me if you can dush bags lololololololololololololololololololololololololhaqhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah i enjoyed taking all you dushbags money over the years.

That would be "douchebag." But if you google "Dush" and check its definition this will all make more sense to you.

That would also be "board", "don't", "your", and "coming." And I'm pretty sure you hacked up something nasty while laughing hysterically.

Can someone wake the moderator and ban this guy.

P.S. Seriously, google Dush. It made my night.