NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-27-2020, 02:10 PM
James M.

Default In a dilemma with a 55 Mantle?

I'm running into a bit of a dilemma with one of my collecting goals. I'm trying to complete a Mantle Run from every year of his playing career. I've made some great progress this year, adding a 54 Red Heart, 53 Bowman and 52 Berk Ross to my collection, I'm however running into a real problem with 1955.

I cannot stand Bowman's card design that year. There are some days where I don't think it's too bad and there are others where I think it's horrendous. I really don't want to drop money on a card that I'm not going to enjoy owning, but to my knowledge there's not much out there in terms of alternatives. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:26 PM
David M.

I bought the Bowman. I kind of like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55 Bowman Mantle front PSA 5.5.jpg (77.9 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg 55 Bowman Mantle back PSA 5.5.jpg (76.8 KB, 369 views)
Old 11-27-2020, 02:38 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Delete

Last edited by jgannon; 11-27-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:07 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

1955 Stahl-Meyer but that'll set you back a bit, or the 1955 Exhibit.

Last edited by Casey2296; 11-27-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:55 PM

How do you not like the '55B Mantle? It's my favorite Mantle card. Certainly nicer than the '67, '59, '54B, '57, and '68 Mantles.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:35 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
How do you not like the '55B Mantle? It's my favorite Mantle card. Certainly nicer than the '67, '59, '54B, '57, and '68 Mantles.
I think the TV set is tacky, I don't think it's the greatest photo of Mantle in the world either. I don't think it helps that the Topps issue that year was such a beautiful set. Makes me a little upset that he couldn't have a card in that one due to licensing. I Love his 54 Issue. Beautiful portrait of him. All comes down to personal preference.

Donscards.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:52 PM
Al Richter

I like the 55 format ok. It was ahead of it's time. Do you know how many households had a color TV in 1955. The set was a market bust for Bowman at the time.

But I have all the Mantles you list Gr8 and would rate the 55B last in that group. As James said, just a matter of preference

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-27-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I like the 55 format ok. It was ahead of it's time. Do you know how many households had a color TV in 1955. The set was a market bust for Bowman at the time.

But I have all the Mantles you list Gr8 and would rate the 55B last in that group. As James said, just a matter of preference
Even worse than the '67?
Old 11-28-2020, 08:41 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Red hearts were available in 55!

55b love em or hate em

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-28-2020, 09:16 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Red hearts were available in 55!

55b love em or hate em
I know there was a Red Heart set for 54, I love that Mantle. One of my favorite cards in my collection. Such a beautiful set, I wish there was a production in 55.

My options for 55 are slim, Looks like I'm saving for a Stahl Meyer or caving and buying the 55 Bowman. Maybe something low grade that won't be too pricey for the Bowman.

Donscards.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:40 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Its labeled as 54, but was available many years after through the mail in offer

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-29-2020, 06:53 AM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Do you know how many households had a color TV in 1955.
Two?
Old 11-29-2020, 08:54 AM

If the card doesn't have to be only 1955, you have a Dormand post card 1953-1955 or a Yankees team issue 1955-1957 that are less expensive options.

I can relate. 1955 Topps is one of my favorite sets, but it feels incomplete without Hofers like Mantle. I decided to go with 1953 Bowman over the ugly 1955 Bowman to go along with the set. It also gives me a Stan Musial as well as Ralph Kiner on the Pirates instead of Indians.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:54 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
If the card doesn't have to be only 1955, you have a Dormand post card 1953-1955 or a Yankees team issue 1955-1957 that are less expensive options.

I can relate. 1955 Topps is one of my favorite sets, but it feels incomplete without Hofers like Mantle. I decided to go with 1953 Bowman over the ugly 1955 Bowman to go along with the set. It also gives me a Stan Musial as well as Ralph Kiner on the Pirates instead of Indians.
The Dormand Post Card is an option that's a possibility. I think it's a combination of the fact that 55 Bowman just doesn't look nice, and the fact that in my opinion the 55 Topps set is one of the best looking sets of the 50's.

Thanks for the suggestions

Donscards.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:21 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
Two?
I was either 15 or or around 150,000 depending on who you talk to

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-29-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:02 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Maybe you could just get one of those ACEO cards. There are a couple of Mick in the 1955 style that are really nice. I know of course, they are not from '55, but if you're really averse to getting a '55 Bowman and you don't want to pay the exorbitant prices for the Stahl Meyer card, maybe you could just get the ACEO as a stand-in. And why get a card that you really don't like? 1955 will at least be represented with the ACEO.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:44 AM
Howard Chasser

Default As a lover of the rare and obscure

My vote is for the 55 Stahl Meyer! Awesome tough card!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955-stahl-meyer-franks-mickey-mantle.jpg (43.8 KB, 167 views)
Old 11-30-2020, 06:07 AM
Chris

You could go with the All American Sports Stars. Mantle is small, and they are all in either sheet form or hand cut, but it’s likely a better looking option than the Bowman and more affordable than the Stahl.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:32 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
Each unto their own. For example, I would disagree hard that the '55 B Mantle is nicer than the '59 Topps, but it's ok that Gr8 feels differently. I think the '59, especially those that survived with that fire engine red background is just a classic looking vintage card. The Mick's portrait pose may be boring to some, but it's a still young, contemplative Mantle who had more great years ahead of him. For me the design with the circular photograph and slanted lower case typeset is the best part; it just screams 1950's.

Truth be told though I like the '55 B as well. I love neat designs, which is why I love '59 Topps, but also '55 B. The TV set idea was years ahead of it's time, and I love all those cards, particularly the Hank Aaron and Ernie Banks, because they are their only Bowman cards.

If I would give any advice to the OP, it's DON'T buy a card you truly don't like only out of peer pressure or the desire to complete a run or something. If you know you will not be happy in the end, then there is nothing wrong with that. I'm not much a fan of the '67 Mantle. I've had a few before, but never kept them for long.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-02-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:44 AM
David Buckingham

If you're going to have a complete run from every year, I think the 1955 Bowman is your only real choice. The 1955 Stahl Meyer is a dream card, but it is hard to find in any grade and is always very highly priced. I kind of like the Bowman myself. And, I don't see anything wrong about the Mantle photo. It is much better than a simple head shot.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:17 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.ź.Σ

To each his/her collecting own. If the OP wants to have a huge hole in his player run collection that is his business. Like it or not, there are several reasons the ‘55B card is iconic.

First, it is Mantle’s only ‘55 mainstream card. The other ones mentioned are more oddball cards. Second, it was Bowman’s last ditch effort to fend off Topps in the baseball card war. We would not see another Bowman issue for more than 30 years. Third, it was very innovative for its time. The television culture was about to explode on America. Fourth, it is a 1950s card from Mantle’s prime. A year before his best year.

I personally love the ‘55 set and feel it is undervalued. You can still find mid-grade Hank Aarons for under $300.00. An absolute legend’s second year mainstream card, in a 5 slabbed holder, for under $300.00? Yes, please. I digress.

Buy the Mantle. I think it will grow on you and you will come around!
Old 12-05-2020, 10:34 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Each unto their own. For example, I would disagree hard that the '55 B Mantle is nicer than the '59 Topps, but it's ok that Gr8 feels differently. I think the '59, especially those that survived with that fire engine red background is just a classic looking vintage card. The Mick's portrait pose may be boring to some, but it's a still young, contemplative Mantle who had more great years ahead of him. For me the design with the circular photograph and slanted lower case typeset is the best part; it just screams 1950's.

Truth be told though I like the '55 B as well. I love neat designs, which is why I love '59 Topps, but also '55 B. The TV set idea was years ahead of it's time, and I love all those cards, particularly the Hank Aaron and Ernie Banks, because they are their only Bowman cards.

If I would give any advice to the OP, it's DON'T buy a card you truly don't like only out of peer pressure or the desire to complete a run or something. If you know you will not be happy in the end, then there is nothing wrong with that. I'm not much a fan of the '67 Mantle. I've had a few before, but never kept them for long.
I appreciate the advice, especially that last part. We should always collect what we like, I'm a big believer in that. I love the 59 Mantle, That's probably the next one on my list, in terms of the mianstream cards, that I would like to pick up. I agree, I think it screams 1950's nostalgia. I always think of Coca Cola when I see the card, probably because of the Red and White

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebuck View Post
If you're going to have a complete run from every year, I think the 1955 Bowman is your only real choice. The 1955 Stahl Meyer is a dream card, but it is hard to find in any grade and is always very highly priced. I kind of like the Bowman myself. And, I don't see anything wrong about the Mantle photo. It is much better than a simple head shot.
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the Photo, I think it lacks in comparison to the previous Bowman issue's. 51 and 52 are pieces of art in my opinion. I love the full shot on his 53 Bowman color issue and I do really enjoy the portrait on his 54 issue. If I'm being 100% transparent, I think that I will end up picking up the 55, somewhere down the line. With certain cards I feel a sort of urgency to collect them, I just don't get that feeling with the 55 Bowman. While I'm not in love with the TV Set, I do see the uniqueness behind it. Color TV was a big deal, and there's really no set like the 55 Bowman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
To each his/her collecting own. If the OP wants to have a huge hole in his player run collection that is his business. Like it or not, there are several reasons the ‘55B card is iconic.

First, it is Mantle’s only ‘55 mainstream card. The other ones mentioned are more oddball cards. Second, it was Bowman’s last ditch effort to fend off Topps in the baseball card war. We would not see another Bowman issue for more than 30 years. Third, it was very innovative for its time. The television culture was about to explode on America. Fourth, it is a 1950s card from Mantle’s prime. A year before his best year.

I personally love the ‘55 set and feel it is undervalued. You can still find mid-grade Hank Aarons for under $300.00. An absolute legend’s second year mainstream card, in a 5 slabbed holder, for under $300.00? Yes, please. I digress.

I do agree the card is Iconic, for the reasons you've listed. The 55 issue is special and unique in it's own way. I do also agree that it's undervalued in comparison to its Topps counterpart. I do think I eventually pick one up, however I don't have the sense of urgency that I normally do when it comes to buying Mantle's. When the right one comes along, for the right price, I'll purchase it, most likely.

Thank you again for everyone who has chimed in.

Donscards.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post

I agree with the op. Compared to the 1955 Topps set, I can see why Bowman went out of business. A huge drop in quality from 1950-53 to 1954 and then 1955. As far as Aaron, clearly the hobby prefers the 1955 Topps card.